My Cat Has Pancreatitis

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Firefly

My Cat Has Pancreatitis

Post by Firefly »

My poor little cat, 7 yrs, had pancreatitis last month, she was treated by my vet and made a good recovery. This morning the whole scenario started up again, sick four times, back to the vet, pancreatitis yet again. He says that if it recurs again in a few weeks she must undergo investigation.

Has anyone else had a pet that this has happened to, and what was the outcome ?

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: My Cat Has Pancreatitis

Post by Dominic »

Firefly wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:06 pm My poor little cat, 7 yrs, had pancreatitis last month, she was treated by my vet and made a good recovery. This morning the whole scenario started up again, sick four times, back to the vet, pancreatitis yet again. He says that if it recurs again in a few weeks she must undergo investigation.

Has anyone else had a pet that this has happened to, and what was the outcome ?

Jackie
If the cat was in as much pain as humans get with pancreatitis, I would ask the vet to put her to sleep. Only you and your vet know that though, so please don't think I am trying to tell you what to do. Sometimes, even the best solution is a crap one.

A few years ago, we had to have the vet put our hamster to sleep. It was old and knackered, but still plodded around and was happy enough. One night, he was slumped in his cage, with blood coming out of his mouth and nose. I thought he was dead to be honest, but left a 1/4 of a boiled egg and a slice of banana next to him. I told our daughter to expect the worse. I waited up half that night with the little fellow, and saw him weakly come around and nibble on his banana. I eventually left him and went upstairs to bed.

In the morning, he was still alive. Obviously in a lot of pain, but still hanging in there. Unfortunately, this made things worse for our daughter. She had said goodbye to him once. Saying it again was even tougher. We had to take him to the vet, because he was in so much pain. But I felt so guilty at the same time. He had struggled through the night, and was still alive. But it was the kindest thing to do.

So, if it comes to that, don't be afraid to do what has to be done. But don't expect it to be easy.

Having said that, from what I've just read, Pancreatitis in cats doesn't seem to be as severe as it is in humans. So there's plenty of hope for your moggy.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Thank you for your replies. My vet has said that removing any fat from her diet is a start, but she only eats chicken, fish and Royal Canin Sensible 33 biscuits. Maybe I'll look for a low protein diet next.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Sorry to hear this about your cat. I hope she makes a recovery x