Any Ideas ?

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Firefly

Any Ideas ?

Post by Firefly »

My aging cat, 15 years, has been diabetic for a few years. The vet felt that he was in remission, as his blood sugar readings were consistently low. The insulin was stopped, but after a few months I noticed that his thirst had increased. Back to vet who found BS readings of over 20 !! Back on insulin. My cat has now lost a tremendous amount of weight, lethargic and has stopped grooming. The vet can't find any problems after blood tests, and can't feel any masses. His hind legs seem to be 'wobbly', for want of a better word, and his BS readings are still in the 20s, even on 5 units of insulin BD. Does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem might be please ?

Thanks

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Firefly

Re: Any Ideas ?

Post by Firefly »

Flossie

Thank you, and I mean that sincerely. I have had the horrible feeling that poor Pepper is failing for a few weeks now. I'm not going to let him suffer, I have had cats all my life, but I have never had a diabetic one before. To say he was rescued from a Taverna as a scrawny, flea bitten, young cat begging for food, I think he's done well to last this long. I am taking him back to the vet next week, and I think a heart to heart talk is called for sadly.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Flossie

I must console myself with the knowledge that we have given him the best life he could have had. He lives practically on fish and Royal Canin biscuits. Slept on our bed with us, and generally exceptionally well cared for, he's been one lucky cat.

Yes I understand that cheese is the way to go when administering meds :)

Jackie
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Flossie

Update on Pepper, he has been to the vet today, who has found a problem with his spine. I explained that he has suffered enough during his 15 odd years, and that we weren't prepared to let him suffer anymore. He is now on 6 units of Metacam per day, but if there is no improvement within two weeks there is nothing else they can do for him. He had his first dose about 10.30 am but so far, at 3.45 he is still limping and sitting down after every few steps. So sad, poor old boy. :(

Jackie
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

So sorry to hear about Pepper. I remember him well..
Trev..
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Jackie

I'm sorry to hear that; I know what it's like. In June, rescue dog Beardie, 14½, lost the ability to stand as his spine gave way after more than a year on Metacam. I know how you feel as we miss him terribly, although stray cats have now invaded the garden, his territory, but we ignore them.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Trevor, Devil and Flossie

Thank you all so much for your replies. He's one of the family, and we will miss him terribly. This morning he is no different, still hobbling along and sitting down every few steps. We feel so helpless, as we can't tell him we are doing all we can.

Jackie
Last edited by Firefly on Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Flossie, thank you.

Jackie
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Both of our dogs were on Metacam towards the end of their very good lives with us - both were rescue dogs. It did take a couple of days for the liquid to kick in but it seemed to help in the long run.... We found it was better for both dogs to have the medicine in the morning with their first meal as giving it later in the day often led to vomiting.

I hope you see some improvement with Pepper very soon, Jackie. If not, then you have to make the best decision. Heart wrenching as we're very well aware having lost both of our dogs inside 12 months of our return to UK from Cyprus.

Keeping you in my thoughts xxx
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Jules

Thank you for your reply. It's awful when it comes to a condition which cannot be cured. This is the third day on Metacam for Pepper, but so far he is no better and one leg keeps giving way. Fingers crossed we may see an improvement in another few days. Thank you too for your kind thoughts.

Jackie xx
Mark

Post by Mark »

Good luck with Pepper, whatever happens, you have supported and cared for your cat with love and compassion.

He/she has had a wonderful life with you. Xx
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Mark, thank you so much for your kind words. Pepper is causing us real concern now, his right back leg is continually giving way, only this morning his foot slipped off the step when he was going into the garden. We are going to have to make a decision soon, as heart rending as it will be.

Jackie
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Well it may be that the time has finally come, Pepper is very bad now on his back legs, bless him, he still struggles to the garden when he has to go. I have spoken with our vet today, and I am taking Pepper in at 4 pm tomorrow, the vet and I will then decide what's best for him, although I fear it may be a very bad day in our house tomorrow.

Jackie
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Best wishes to you Jackie, but you know that you have to do what is best for Pepper.

It will no doubt be a sad time..
Trev..
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Bless you Jackie....
I'm sure you will make the best decision for your very best furry friend no matter how difficult it may be. I wish it was a decision we could make for ourselves but sadly, that is far removed from our hands.

It's a little over 12 months since we lost our Indie just 2 days after my Dad passed away. Today would have been my Dad's 83rd birthday and also our 18th wedding anniversary. Seven days of very mixed feelings for us and I still miss my best furry mate each day but we know we took the right decision at the time it was most needed. Any longer would have just been selfish on our part....

Thinking of you and your family xxx
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Feeling wretched and lost, Pepper put to sleep yesterday.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Sad news but not unexpected. The deep loss does ease. He will be at Rainbow Bridge now.

Take care..
Trev..
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Thanks Trevor, I know you know just how I'm feeling today, can't stop crying.
jen

Post by jen »

I know just how you feel. We had to do the same to one of our spaniels not long ago. Very sad but not prepared to see him suffer. Barney his brother coping just without him, he's 15 tomorrow.
memory man

Post by memory man »

We've not long had to go through this with one of our dogs
several weeks ago. 15 years old and very arthritic and also
went blind. A blood test at vets showed several other problems
with liver, kidney probs & cancer so we did the most humane thing
and put him to sleep. A very sad day, never forgotten, but time is
a great healer.

When our friends etc. find out they always ask " do you miss him? "
Of course we miss him, with his long hair and blue tongue.

We still have 3 cats and 1 dog ( all rescues ) to keep us going.