Refreshing drink for pets.

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
memory man

Refreshing drink for pets.

Post by memory man »

I seem to remember a recipe for a refreshing drink for
pets ( probably on CL ) to be given when it's hot.

All I can remember in the recipe is
evaporated or condensed milk, water & salt.

There may have been more ingredients, but I
can't remember any more.

Does anyone have or remember this recipe and
quantities to make up.
aphrodite

Re: Refreshing drink for pets.

Post by aphrodite »

Sorry, I don't know the recipe you refer to or what pets you'd like to give the drink to, but what I can advise, as I have been led to believe, is that cats are lactose intolerant and if given milk, evap milk or condensed can lead to them having a serious case of the trots! :o
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

I never gave my dogs any milk as they cannot stop to finish it whatever amount I put in the dish. Another side effect is that they get the runs if they are older than 3 month. Milk products (Camenbert)) or a bit of Joghurt I feed only for breakfast with a large carrot (in order carotene can be absorbed) I had Alsatian since I was 18.
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

aphrodite wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 3:09 pm Sorry, I don't know the recipe you refer to or what pets you'd like to give the drink to, but what I can advise, as I have been led to believe, is that cats are lactose intolerant and if given milk, evap milk or condensed can lead to them having a serious case of the trots! :o
Yes, you're quite right, Aphrodite. Cats generally are lactose intolerant. Some cats are also cereal intolerant - as we discovered when our cat had a really REALLY bad dose of the trots due to us feeding him predominantly dry cat food. :oops: Thank goodness for tiled, uncarpeted floors! :oops: :D After cleaning him up, encouraging him outside, and then cleaning & disinfecting the floors (beware of what type of disinfectant you use as cats are allergic to Dettol type disinfectants that go cloudy when mixed with water), I then settled down for a chat with that nice informative Mr Google. That's when I discovered that the cause of flatulence (silent and VERY deadly :oops: ) and/or diarrhea in cats is often too much cereal in their diet. The remedy is to change for a higher protein-based diet and to feed a very small amount of live yoghurt daily. And I mean it when I say "a very small amount" :evil: - just a small bit on the end of a tea spoon, not even half a tea spoonful. The good bacteria in the live yoghurt have helped restore our cat's digestive tract - no more diarrhea and rarely any flatulence, certainly not so deadly now! :lol:

As for refreshing drinks for pets, I drop a few icecubes into the cat's water bowl to keep the water cool for him - not that he's fussed, sometimes he prefers to drink the water that's run into the plant pot saucers! :roll:
Kay
Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a former life! :lol: