Renewable Energy #4: Solar electric, net-metering

Discuss environmental matters here, and compare notes on what renewable energy systems might be best for you.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Renewable Energy #4: Solar electric, net-metering

Post by cyprusmax47 »

This post is written in a hurry and sorry perhaps I forgot some points.

Since a few years with the pressure of EU regulations the Cyprus Authorities decided to introduce a
so called "net-metering". That allows people to install Solar photovoltaic panels (modules) on the roofs
in order to produce electricity. First it was limited to 3 kWp but now 5 kWp can be fitted. But as soon
all installed systems reach the limit from EAC of 20MW this scheme will be cancelled. (so hurry up)!

A system includes without limitation 10 to 24 modules (250Wp or 300Wp) and an Inverter in order to
convert DC power from the modules into AC (215-250Volt/50Hz) compatible with the EAC power.
As an extra you are allowed to install so called optimizer to improve the output of the modules.
(Producer promises 22%-25% more). Optimizer will be fixed under each module and their task is to control
every module separate. A System without optimizer is normally wired that 6 modules are on the same string.
If one of the six modules has not the optimum of Sun (Shade, Dirt) ALL the other modules of the string will
be negative effected. As the Sun wanders from East to West it happens many times that a shade is formed from
objects either from the own roof or nearby trees, buildings etc. So I think optimizer are worth their extra costs.
With perfect tilt 28% and position South (SSE) a standard 3 kWp System will produce app 5000 kWh/year
(with optimizer more) EAC will install you a new meter which is counting both, the kWh produced by your modules
and your used, imported electricity from the Grid. The balance is what one pays in future 2 monthly bills. Net-metering
allows consumers who generate some or all of their own electricity to use that electricity any time, instead of when it is
generated. Annual net metering rolls over a net kW credit to the following 2 month period allowing solar power produced
in the Summer month to be used later in the winter month. Once a year (Spring time) EAC reading the final bill and sets
the meter to zero. If you have produced too much (which your credit always shows) you have to use up the kWh's before
that date comes. You just use more ELECTRIC power like air cons, electric heater etc. otherwise you will lose it.
Conclusion: You save not only electricity costs but also costs you may have for fire wood, Gas, Diesel in order to
keep the house comfortable. Not to forget your contribution to the environment.
I want to mention also from the point of an investment that if your electricity consumption is yearly less than 4000 kWh
it is not worth to do it, except towards Green ideas. With ever rising electricity costs however.... you need your calculator.

Update:
Since March 2019 there are subsidies from the Gov., maximum 1000 Euro per installation (250 Euro per kWp) and also it is possible now to apply for a 10 kWp system.

Max
Last edited by cyprusmax47 on Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
PaphosAL

Re: Renewable Energy #4: Solar electric, net-metering

Post by PaphosAL »

Max- friendly response to to your posts, in order to make them FAR easier for PL members to read, if you don't mind me saying so, please!

Stop hitting the ENTER button for line breaks! Just let the text input flow, my freind. You will be pleasantly surprised by the finished post, honest!

Cheers- AL :)
Gone but not forgotten...
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Alright, next time if I remember...
Formula uno is on at the moment from Australia...
Max
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Forgot to mention that in case one installs a FIVE kWp system and realizes after one season that he produces too many kWh he can burn these
by installing a electric Pool heating (heat pump technology). In this case you can use your pool much longer which is nice as you spent so
much money in construction, maintenance, water....
Max
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

One of the points I forgot (mentioned it in another thread).PV installed as a Free-standing produces more kWh than on the roof. There is more ventilation and cooling effect on the modules which is positive as above 25C per every 10C you have more losses. In your application it has to be mentioned that the panels will be installed on the ground.
Max
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

Many many thanks Max..Your very detailed guidance was most helpful for me to respond with questions to the companies who quoted.