Renewable Energy #2: Solar Hot Water with Photovoltaic

Discuss environmental matters here, and compare notes on what renewable energy systems might be best for you.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Renewable Energy #2: Solar Hot Water with Photovoltaic

Post by cyprusmax47 »

In the last few years prices for photo-voltaic panels became much cheaper. What was
only an expensive dream is now reality: Solar photo-voltaic hot-water heating is now
cost-effective and efficient.
But what is more important for me: it is now possible to live without the really ugly looking
solar installations for hot water (Thermosyphon) which one can see on nearly every roof.
There is now also in Cyprus available a very smart alternative. It consists of only 3-4 photo-voltaic
panels on the roof, that's all one can see. The cylinder is hidden somewhere in the house which
means not anymore terrible heat losses. As the system is equipped with a small controller there is
no overheating anymore in Summer which is responsible for water leaks through stress and blockages
in the circuit as water becomes very aggressive with temperatures > 65C. The controller also ensures
that maximum electric power comes from the panels in various weather conditions. On cloudy and
windy days the normal Thermosyphon is not producing any energy and with all the other losses the water
stays cold and need expensive electricity to heat it up via immersion heater. Photo-voltaic on the contrary
always produces electricity to warm the water and as there are less losses it needs only a little boost
with the built-in 1KW electric coil to reach higher water temperature (if cloudy)
It is also much more easy to find ideal positions for the solar PV panels unlike the bulky Thermosyphon units
which are often installed in the shade of a wall leading to no energy gain in Winter when shadows are long.
Look at the photo as an example. It is not only unsightly but will have no sunshine most of the time in Winter.

Good photo-voltaic panels work > 40 years and the German produced cylinder has good insulation and
avoids thermal bridges as well as built-in optimized anodic corrosion protection and anode tester.
Cylinder can also be combined with Gas/Oil boiler if exists.
Every Solar (PV) produced KWh is converted 100% into heat and the possibility to change the look of
your premises to a much nicer place makes me come to the conclusion: This should be the future
not only for new built houses.
Photo: PV panels to heat up the cylinder.

Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Renewable Energy #2: Solar Hot Water with Photovoltaic

Post by Dominic »

We have those panels on our roof for the water. The tank itself is in the attic space.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Dominic you are one of the first ones with such a system.
Developed in Germany from Awasol company only in 2016
it came quickly to Cyprus...
Max
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Really? I was under the impression they had been that way for some time. I shall ask our neighbour as he will have been there when they were installed.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

I remember that little obnoxious toe-rag spammer Cymply posting about PV panels back on the old CL M$N board that Jacs and I helped JimX to run back in approx 2003!

They've been around in Cyprus since then, for sure? Maybe too expensive in the past 14 years for mass uptake, perhaps?

Cheers- AL :)
Gone but not forgotten...
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Dominic

Photovoltaic panels are more or less unchanged since more than 20 years available
in Cyprus. But to heat the water up with them is quite new because PV was too expensive
in the past. That's why I was posting that article. (producer leaflet is from 2016)
https://www.solarwirtschaft.de/fileadmi ... Awasol.pdf

For my first Solar plant in 1997 when I had no grid connection from EAC I remember
paying 300 CPound for one 80 Wp panel (altogether 50.000 CyP.)
Today one can get a 250 Wp panel for 200 Euro. This is a huge difference and that's
why photovoltaic make sense NOW.
Max