Solar Car Battery Charger

Discuss environmental matters here, and compare notes on what renewable energy systems might be best for you.
2QuarterPints

Solar Car Battery Charger

Post by 2QuarterPints »

We divide our time between Paphos and the UK and when we go back to the UK I always worry that the battery will go flat in our car here, particularly if we are away for quite some time. Normally a flat battery would not be too much of a problem but, with the car we have, it needs to keep a bit of a charge to avoid the car's computer powering down. If that happens all sorts of problems will occur when the battery is eventually charged again. I have seen small solar panels that sit on the dashboard and plug into a car's cigarette lighter, which trickle a charge into the battery, and I am wondering whether anyone has seen them for sale here in Cyprus.

Thanks in advance

Dave
sueb

Re: Solar Car Battery Charger

Post by sueb »

I got one from Argos. We used to come and go for holidays but now live here full time.

It did seem to work but we also had someone 'running' the car while we were back in the UK.

Have lent mine to someone who comes back on the 27th March. Will see if their car starts. They have been away for 6 weeks.

Had not seen anything here in Paphos.

Sue b
Happy to be back on the Island!
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Nicolaou Electronics sell PV modules. You need a 12V/ 5 Wp module (best amorphous) with
at least 5 m cable and a cigarette lighter plug. If you ask in the shop
they would complete it for you as the solar panels are without anything.
If your battery is >75 amps it will not overcharge as you have a lot of losses
behind the glass on the dashboard and when it is summer you loose 1 amp per day
through the heat.
If you don't trust it without charge controller than you have to buy one via Amazon, Ebay..
in this case it is handy if there is a LED control light as well, then you understand if it is
charging or not. (I have one of those)

Max
El tel

Post by El tel »

I have successfully used a solar panel on my car but it is mounted on my radiator grill and south facing . I find this more effective than mounting inside the car. I would add that the car is undercover and protected from the elements but open sided so let's in the sun.

Terry
J B

Post by J B »

Austin7 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:23 am Used one for years in the UK while on extensive trips to Cyprus. Will only work from cigarette lighter if power is available there when ignition switched off. With my car it was not so had to connect to battery with crocodile clips.
Plenty on eBay for just over a tenner, including Maplins - maybe you have one of their shops near to you?
J B
mockaji

Post by mockaji »

I have one of these from Amazon for my uk car, it comes with a regulator so you cant overcharge the battery. Where i park my car is in shady position, but it still charges the battery and starts first time after leaving it for 7/8 weeks.
mockaji

Post by mockaji »

rps20170313_102437.jpg
rps20170313_102437.jpg (45.92 KiB) Viewed 11735 times
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

https://www.wattgeizer.com/media/pdf/c3 ... utz-5w.pdf

This is the one I got from Germany. As you can see it is amorphous and there
is a LED control light on green when charging.(very good!!)
As Austin7 already mentioned it is important that there is power all the time on your cigarette
lighter input, otherwise to connect with clips direct to battery which is sometimes complicated.
Max
2QuarterPints

Post by 2QuarterPints »

Thank you all for the good advice. I should have explained in my first post that we are in Paphos at the moment, and there is insufficient time to get something ordered online before we return home soon. I will explore the suggestion made by Max to see whether I can get things sorted here before we go home this time. If not I will buy one in the UK to bring back next time.

Dave
J B

Post by J B »

As you are still in Paphos, I wonder if Droushiotis would have what you want?

They are on the right of the Polis Rd heading uphill past the roundabout (after the Transport dept)

https://www.facebook.com/G-Droushiotis- ... 550046894/

http://www.cyprusaudio.com/listings/nam ... sories-ltd
J B
jeba

Post by jeba »

D&PG wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:29 pm Thank you all for the good advice. I should have explained in my first post that we are in Paphos at the moment, and there is insufficient time to get something ordered online before we return home soon. I will explore the suggestion made by Max to see whether I can get things sorted here before we go home this time. If not I will buy one in the UK to bring back next time.

Dave
I´ll come to Pafos on Thursday to view a property. If you can´t find one I could lend mine to you. Will only need it again in June. PM me if you need it.
Miyagi

Post by Miyagi »

Some very useful here, I'm in the same boat as D&PG. Spend about 4/5 months a year here so always worry about the car battery condition when we arrived every time.
JimX

Post by JimX »

If your car is stored outside a warning is rats, they ate through my friends wiring including his solar charger that did work at one time, but his motor was totally dead, and needed a new wiring harness to his starter.

Get some cats around!
Jim.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Yes, this is a problem everywhere. Good business for the Garages.
I have an open car port and the rats had it. I payed more than 1000 Euro
for the damage as it burnt also the petrol pump. BMW Garage had to order
it in Germany and the wiring harness (second hand) had to be replaced.
Insurance did not pay as I wasn't reading the small print which says you have
to contact them first that they can choose the cheapest Garage.
This happened 4 month ago and no more problems appeared thanks to
the anti mouse and rat spray they sold me at the Garage.(you spray under the grill into motor area)
It obviously works.
Perhaps another hot tip for the forum!?? (Insurance & rat spray)
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Forgot the tell about cats and rats problem...
My neighbours cats (6) are all the time in my property
instead of theirs, sit many times on top of the BMW which
makes me upset when the car just comes from the washing..
2QuarterPints

Post by 2QuarterPints »

Sorry for not replying to the recent posts but I have been off the internet for a couple of days. Jeba - that is an incredibly kind offer but we will not be back until after you need yours to be returned. If I can't find one locally, I think we may be okay this time as the car will only stand for just over three months, and we will make sure that we bring one back with us. We will also get one for our UK car as well, as suggested in an earlier post.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Nicolaou Electronic have one in stock for 65 Euro or so,
4.8Wp complete. So you can go there and get one.
Max
mayanktanwar

Post by mayanktanwar »

Solar battery chargers work by converting energy from the sun to electricity that your battery is capable of storing. This is accomplished by a photo voltaic solar panel, which is the same basic technology you may have seen used in residential and commercial settings to provide off-grid or grid-tied power. In fact, home solar power systems often use lead acid batteries to store power for use at night or on overcast days.

The amount of amperage that a solar battery charger puts out will depend on a variety of factors, including the build quality, how sunny it is, and your latitude. However, they typically put out somewhere in the neighborhood of 500 to 1,500 mA. You can find solar chargers that put out more, and panels designed for recreational vehicle use are often capable of putting out a lot more, but a reasonably priced solar charger for car batteries will be in that range. Find out Solar Car Battery Charger prices and products list online, search in Google and get best store to shop.
Attachments
FEGC9N6F1ZM4LGI.MEDIUM.jpg
FEGC9N6F1ZM4LGI.MEDIUM.jpg (47.65 KiB) Viewed 11446 times
BatteryBhai is one of its kind online platform. Featuring an exclusive range of Batteries and utility products for home and all industrial purposes like solar inverter, charge controlers, chargers, batteries, stabilizers etc.
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

Why not simply remove the battery from the vehicle and take it inside the house?

Then use a smart gadget like http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/ ... up-to-2-0l to keep the battery at optimum charge whilst you're not in residence?

No external rodent problems then, either!

Just an idea... Cheers- AL :o
Gone but not forgotten...
2QuarterPints

Post by 2QuarterPints »

Many thanks Max. I will call in to buy one tomorrow. PaphosAl I am trying to avoid my battery going flat as it will scramble the car's computer when it does so and is then recharged, so removing the battery is a non-starter I am afraid.