Lidls

Post your funnies here.
WHL

Lidls

Post by WHL »

Lidls will be closed Christmas day, so the cashier can spend the day with her family.
memory man

Re: Lidls

Post by memory man »

trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Don't be confused :-) I think it is a thinly veiled complaint that there are never enough checkouts open at Lidl.. Though I don't ever recollect just one ;-)
Trev..
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

The Lidl at Aradippou opens new cash desks if there are four clients in a queue, sometimes fewer. Very good service.
Varky

Post by Varky »

Not sure where Aradippou is but there is hardly ever a long queue at the Polis road branch. However the Lidl in Limassos is not so 'on the ball' and you can have a queue of 10 people and no-one thinks to open a new till. Management incompetence!
jagwheels

Post by jagwheels »

Brits queuing & complaining. Never ............................................that is until someone jumps the queue :lol:
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

When I was in Lidl's the other day, (not ToK), it didn't seem any busier than usual (i.e. just about room to wheel trolley round the end of the displays closest to the tills), and by the time I was queuing at the check-out, seven tills were in operation! 😲😲😲 Not seen that before, maybe a new manager who actually manages ...
Kay
Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a former life! :lol:
J B

Post by J B »

Why do folks call it "Lidls" when it's Lidl?
J B
jeba

Post by jeba »

J B wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:08 am Why do folks call it "Lidls" when it's Lidl?
And why do they pronounce it "Liddl" when it´s actually "Leeedl"?
memory man

Post by memory man »

In English, Emma says : -------
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

J B wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:08 am Why do folks call it "Lidls" when it's Lidl?
Because they have omitted the apostrophe to indicate that what is being said (or written) is actually "Lidl's supermarket" ...

Are we getting back into a nit picking grammar discussion again? 😀
Kay
Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a former life! :lol:
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

In German TV Lidl is pronounced like that.... I wonder how a British ad sounds though...

Perhaps it is similar how the British pronounce F1 pilot Vettel. (Wettel) and not as it should be (Fettel) :) :roll:

Max
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

I worked alongside 2 German colleagues in Cyprus so got used to hearing it pronounced as "Leedl" - I can still hear them now, thanks to this thread :-)
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

And the Americans pronounce it as LIEDEL
All things are possible
memory man

Post by memory man »

jeba wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:27 am
And why do they pronounce it "Liddl" when it´s actually "Leeedl"?
That's how they pronounce it USA.

Varky

Post by Varky »

Lincoln wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:03 pm And the Americans pronounce it as LIEDEL
Who gives a monkeys how the Americans pronounce things. They mispronounce many things seemingly to put their 'ownership' on the word e.g. oregano. Far more interested in how the Germans pronounce it as it is a German company (I think). I always try to pronounce such words as they do in the country of origin (e.g.IKEA)
WHL

Post by WHL »

Devil wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:41 pm The Lidl at Aradippou opens new cash desks if there are four clients in a queue, sometimes fewer. Very good service.
Your having a laugh now :lol:
they wait until the people are down the isle before they open another till, four clients if only... they dont like me because I always shout out to the cashier '' How about opening a new till'' then im usually joined by others, who start to moan, only then do they open a new one.... and yes Aradippou is the one I use.
WHL

Post by WHL »

trevnhil wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:21 pm Don't be confused :-) I think it is a thinly veiled complaint that there are never enough checkouts open at Lidl.. Though I don't ever recollect just one ;-)
Trev , you are spot on, in our Larnaca one, we have to moan, only then do they begrudgingly open some more
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Wifi and Ikea are two other words that are often pronounced incorrectly. Had to think twice when first asked if I wanted weefee access?