Nigel Farage was visiting a school in Coventry

Post your funnies here.
JimX

Nigel Farage was visiting a school in Coventry

Post by JimX »

Nigel Farage was visiting a primary school and the class was in the middle of a discussion related to words and their meanings.
The teacher asked Mr Farage if he would like to lead the discussion on the word 'Tragedy'.

So the illustrious UKIP leader asked the class for an example of a 'Tragedy'.
A little boy stood up and offered, "If ma best freen, wha’ lives on a ferm, is playin' in the field and a tractor rins ower him and kills him, that wid be a tragedy."
"Incorrect", said Nigel, trying-not-to-sound-too-patronising, "That would be an accident."

A little girl raised her hand, "If a school bus kerryin' fifty children drove ow’r a cliff, killing a'body inside, that wid be a tragedy"
'I'm afraid not', explained Nigel, "that's what we would refer to as a great loss’’.

The room went silent. No other children volunteered. Nicola searched the room.
"Isn't there someone here who can give me an example of a tragedy?"

Finally, at the back of the room, a wee lad raised his hand and, in a quiet voice, said: "If a plane kerryin' you and your deputy ' wiz struck by a 'freendly fire' missile & blawn tae smithereens, that wid be a tragedy."
"Fantastic!" exclaimed Nigel, "and can you tell me why that would be a tragedy?"

"Weel", says the lad, "it has tae be a tragedy, because it certainly widnae be a great loss, and it probably widnae be an accident either!"
Jim.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Re: Nigel Farage was visiting a school in Coventry

Post by Devil »

:) :) :)
memory man

Post by memory man »

Do the kids in Coventry have accents like Scottish school kids? :?
jagwheels

Post by jagwheels »

The Scots seem to be everywhere MM & I'm still a member of the Tam O'shanter club in Coventry & apart from the dialect they seem to have some strange customs :lol:

Enjoyed the joke Jim
Last edited by jagwheels on Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

I took to to be a Caribbean accent. Wow- easily fooled.
JimX

Post by JimX »

Brian, Farage launched this new Brexit party in Coventry on Friday last, it is only a joke like this new party, although in my opinion a very obnoxious man.

Regards accents in the Coventry area, obviously you have never been? as the city is well mixed with hundreds of different accents including Scottish. :D and the odd Coventry one like mine.
Jim.
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

The top place doon sooth for scots of course is Corby in Northamptonshire
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Corby was because the owners of the steelworks in Motherwell, open one in Corbyn and offered relocation to workers. Hence Scots Corner on the A1/A66 - the lad-way stage for what was a long journey in the early 20th century.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Jimgward wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 9:10 amCorby was because the owners of the steelworks in Motherwell, open one in Corbyn and offered relocation to workers. Hence Scots Corner on the A1/A66 - the lad-way stage for what was a long journey in the early 20th century.
1. It is named Scotch Corner, not Scots Corner
2. It was named Scotch Corner, long before steel was invented
The name originated from being the junction where the north–south Roman road known as "Dere Street", which crossed the River Tees at Piercebridge, met the Roman road which went west through Bowes and Brough.[2] It is where travellers to eastern Scotland (now via A1(M) and/or A68) are separated from travellers to western Scotland (now via A66 and M6/ A74(M)/M74).

The Romans were responsible for building the first roads to meet at this point and the site of the original junction is just a few hundred yards away from the modern day intersection. In AD 71 the Romans took control of the North when they defeated the Brigantes, a Northern Celtic tribe at the Battle of Scotch Corner.[1] There was a major Roman settlement at Scotch Corner, with its own mint.[2][3]
Wikipedia