Medication Prices

Discuss medical issues, and help each other navigate the available options for the Health Service in Cyprus.
Before following anybody's advice on here consider consulting your local doctor first.
altosax1

Medication Prices

Post by altosax1 »

I'm confused by the charges for medication under the new system. From the med list I see many generic brands. My partner and I have been prescribed by our PD, only generic med brands. Thinking we would be paying €1 tor each packet item. The amount we had to pay the chemist was in all cases more than €1, sometimes a lot more, although not the full price. Please, what am I not understanding?
Nick
trevnhil

Re: Medication Prices

Post by trevnhil »

Nick, the best person to ask would have been the Chemist at the time of purchasing. Even now you could call in for an explanation of the prices..
Trev..
Polly

Post by Polly »

I was charged more for some of my Gesy meds. Pharmacist said only the cheapest were 1 euro but if the cheapest wasn't available you had to pay the difference..
Mrblobby

Post by Mrblobby »

Collected the second month of my wife’s and mine today , pleased to say 7 items , 7 euros .
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Polly wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:34 am I was charged more for some of my Gesy meds. Pharmacist said only the cheapest were 1 euro but if the cheapest wasn't available you had to pay the difference..
Yes, that is correct. There will be at least one generic drug costing €1 per item in each category, eg diabetes, cardiac, thyroid, pain relief, etc, but the doctor may decide that particular drug is not the correct one for your specific condition and will prescribe a more expensive one. At the Pharmacy ask the price of the prescribed drug and then ask the Pharmacist if there is anything cheaper that has the same ingredients - you can then decide to buy the cheaper option.

I was recently prescribed an antihistamine and had to pay €4. When I queried this with the Doctor and the Pharmacist both told me that the €1 option was not suitable for my particular needs. However, if I had bought the same item over the counter (ie not on GESY prescription) it would have cost me €14.87.