Tiger Balm

Discuss medical issues, and help each other navigate the available options for the Health Service in Cyprus.
Before following anybody's advice on here consider consulting your local doctor first.
MacManiac

Tiger Balm

Post by MacManiac »

After six years here, we recently discovered Tiger Balm. We were dining outside, at a friend’s house, when I realised I was being eaten alive by various insects. The desire to scratch was immense but my host went inside and returned with a small pot of Tiger Balm. I was told to rub it on my bites. I waited for instant relief but there was none. I was told to be patient. I waited and gradually the itching abated. Terrific.

But today I developed the king of all headaches. I very rarely suffer from these and so reached for the paracetamol. The headache continued. In fact it became worse. A couple of hours later I reached for a somewhat stronger painkiller and retired to bed. When I woke up a few hours later, my headache was still there.

I had to vacate the bedroom as our Filipino cleaner had arrived. She said I looked awful and I told her about my headache. She told me she didn’t understand as I had Tiger Balm in the house. She instructed me to rub it into both temples. What rubbish, I thought. Ten minutes later the pain was gone ... I was astonished.
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Tiger Balm

Post by Dominic »

I first came across it in Nepal when I was trekking. Love the smell of it.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Cookie

Post by Cookie »

My wife uses it to rub on her back to relieve her occasional back pain. Is it possible to buy it over here or do I need to stock up when back in the UK?
Polly

Post by Polly »

Flossie

Would you please tell us where we can buy it?

I did have some many years ago when I was fit and healthy and probably didn't need it as I can't remember it doing much. Looks like it's worth another try.

Thanks
MacManiac

Post by MacManiac »

We bought ours from the Chinese food shop near the main Post Office.
josef k

Post by josef k »

You could try the Philippine supermarket or the Philippine/Romanian kiosk in Paphos old town. You will find the supermarket in the building on the corner behind Boulevard cafe, diagonally opposite the old police station. If you exit that building to the rear you will find the kiosk opposite across a street.

The supermarket isn't open every day, but the kiosk is. Have a mooch round and you will find foods you have never heard of.
Polly

Post by Polly »

Thanks all. Now know what shops to look for.