How will we pay for the NHS?

Discuss medical issues, and help each other navigate the available options for the Health Service in Cyprus.
Before following anybody's advice on here consider consulting your local doctor first.
trevnhil

Re: How will we pay for the NHS?

Post by trevnhil »

That is exactly as I understand the rules and is indeed what we had to do regarding tax in Cyprus
Trev..
jeba

Post by jeba »

Hudswell wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:52 pm
jeba wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:36 pm
Hudswell wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:04 pm As do UK state pensioned expats, they are entitled to access to the current Cypriot health care system, if you have access to private health care paid for by your Government, then happy days..UK expats will move onto the Cypriot NHS system, the question is how they will be paid for. If you are a tax resident in Cyprus, ie you reside here for more than 183 days, you should apply for a TIC, it matters not if your income is subject to subject to tax or not....you should still be registered. And if Nom Dom status is as tenuous in the UK as it is in Germany...I would suggest you get a second opinion.
I don´t understand what you´re talking about. There is no such thing as non-dom status in Germany.
Hey you brought up non Dom status not me! All I know is that as a UK expat, resident in Cyprus for more than 183 days a year, and therefore classed as a "Tax Resident" I was obliged to register with the Cypriot tax authorities, obtain a TIC, which allowed me to de register from any tax liability on my income (less any rental/gain from UK property) and pay tax in Cyprus, because in my case I am above the tax regime. If I was below the Cypriot tax threshold I would still have had to register in order to de register from the UK!.
I never brought up German non-dom status as it doesn´t exist. I was talking about non-domiciled tax resident status according to Cypriot law (in existence since 2015 only).
jeba

Post by jeba »

Hudswell wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:23 pm
jeba wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:14 pm
Hudswell wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:52 pm

Hey you brought up non Dom status not me! All I know is that as a UK expat, resident in Cyprus for more than 183 days a year, and therefore classed as a "Tax Resident" I was obliged to register with the Cypriot tax authorities, obtain a TIC, which allowed me to de register from any tax liability on my income (less any rental/gain from UK property) and pay tax in Cyprus, because in my case I am above the tax regime. If I was below the Cypriot tax threshold I would still have had to register in order to de register from the UK!.
I never brought up German non-dom status as it doesn´t exist. I was talking about non-domiciled tax resident status according to Cypriot law (in existence since 2015 only).
Which has absolutely no impact on this subject or the fact that as a tax resident in Cyprus you should be registered for tax, have a TIC and if your income is over the tax threshold you should pay tax!

http://www.savvacyprus.com/AboutUs/Publ ... n-Dom.aspx

I,really do,suggest you have a chat with your advisors...
How can the Cypriot non-dom rules of 2015 have no impact on this subject? Anyway, thanks for the article linked. I´ll email the author for clarification (I´m too stingy to ask my advisor again). If he answers I´ll report back.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Every January I go to the Tax Office to ask if I need to complete a Cyprus Tax Form, as I am resident here and have no income. Always told, no need to register for tax. Ask what happens when I become eligible for UK State Pension and told that if it is below the UK personal tax threshold then there is no need to register for tax in Cyprus.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I think that is only the second time I have heard that apply to anyone. The other person being Emgee.
I have asked if I can 'de- register' and told NO..
Trev..
Mrblobby

Post by Mrblobby »

galexinda wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:04 pm Every January I go to the Tax Office to ask if I need to complete a Cyprus Tax Form, as I am resident here and have no income. Always told, no need to register for tax. Ask what happens when I become eligible for UK State Pension and told that if it is below the UK personal tax threshold then there is no need to register for tax in Cyprus.
Did you notify the UK tax office when you left the UK ?
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Mrblobby wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:49 pm
galexinda wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:04 pm Every January I go to the Tax Office to ask if I need to complete a Cyprus Tax Form, as I am resident here and have no income. Always told, no need to register for tax. Ask what happens when I become eligible for UK State Pension and told that if it is below the UK personal tax threshold then there is no need to register for tax in Cyprus.
Did you notify the UK tax office when you left the UK ?
Indeed I did Mrblobby.
Last edited by galexinda on Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mrblobby

Post by Mrblobby »

But did you fill in form P85 , I did 8 years ago and have never heard from HMRC since .
Mrblobby

Post by Mrblobby »

What happened , thanked me then took it back ? ;)
Attachments
4EA6A029-96D3-4265-9B9B-6EF7FD713983.jpeg
4EA6A029-96D3-4265-9B9B-6EF7FD713983.jpeg (79.2 KiB) Viewed 6161 times
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Pressed the thank button in error!
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

One way would be for people in receipt of the UK State Pension to have the amount deducted at source.
jeba

Post by jeba »

galexinda wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:57 pm One way would be for people in receipt of the UK State Pension to have the amount deducted at source.
I guess you´ll be allowed to opt out under certain circumstances. E. g. for me as a German pensioner it´s mandatory for me to have German health insurance and the contribitions for it are deducted from my (German) pension before it´s paid out. I don´t see why I should have to pay towards the NHS on top of that. That would be unfair.
jeba

Post by jeba »

Hudswell wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:31 am Jeba, how is your Heath care covered in Cyprus? What facilities can you use? And if you go "private" does your German State health care provision cover the cost?
When using public healthcare they will pay the respective Cypriot facility directly. When using private facilities I´ll be refunded the cost capped at what the insurance would have to pay in Germany. There will be an administrative charge between € 6.- and € 55.- for using foreign facilities.
jeba

Post by jeba »

Hudswell wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:00 pm Sounds fair, so do you still pay some form of "social tax in Germany?
I have to pay German income tax on all income sourced from Germany, including on my pension or dividends from German companies (and the tax threshold for non-residents is € 0.-). Apart from the contribution towards health insurance I have no "social tax" to pay. But Germany doesn´t have such a thing anyway - only contributions towards what gives you an individual right to benefits ( health care, nursing care, pension, unemployment benefits). And those contributions are mandatory for most people (there are exemptions though, e. g. for civil servants or soldiers). Not sure whether that´s what you mean by "social tax".