Prescription query

Discuss medical issues, and help each other navigate the available options for the Health Service in Cyprus.
Before following anybody's advice on here consider consulting your local doctor first.
Coopers

Prescription query

Post by Coopers »

Hi everyone
I am now living here and I have just about gone through my 3 months worth of medications from UK and am now running out to get another prescription is it best to go to
A. the hospital and ask to see a neurologist
B. The doctor then get referred to neurologist
C. Go to an independent neurologist
How do I go about any of the above appreciate any help you can give
Thank you
Maria
trevnhil

Re: Prescription query

Post by trevnhil »

Hi Maria, what seems a simple question really is not.
Have you registered here with immigration.. And have you then registered with the health authority and now got a medical card, and a prescription book
If you have, I think you will need to see a GP at the Hospital who may give you a repeat prescription if you take a box of tablets with you.
He or she may refer you to a NHS Neurologist, but this MAY take time

You can of course just pay to see a private Neurologist, who will probably give you a prescription for tablets..
They may not be the same ones you had from the UK, and you will have to pay for them at a Pharmacy.

Others members may recommend a private neurologist..
Trev..
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Maybe you want to get a second opinion from a very qualified Neurologist, Dr. Michael Michaels... link on PL Directory:
https://www.paphoslife.com/directory/en ... eurologist

Max
Coopers

Post by Coopers »

Thank you for that, at present we have not registered with immigration we plan to at some stage, do I need a medical card I have not heard of that as yet. We have only been here less that 3 months, we do not work, and we are below pension age. How do I register with the health authority and do I need to be 60 and over
Thanks
Maria
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I think you should go and have a chat with the people in the citizens centre to see exactly what you need to do, and afternoons are quieter. They are halfway along Butcher Boy road, which is the road from Papantonios (in town) up to the motorway roundabout..
Trev..
garry&jill

Post by garry&jill »

I also recommend seeing dr Michael Michael he was based in the building next to Avangelisimos
but I haven't seen him for a couple of years he used to change 50 euros a visit
garry
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Hello Maria,

Well as you are not in receipt of a state pension you will not be able to get a Health Card -this health card entitles you to attend the State hospitals and be charged €3.00 for a gp visit and €6.00 to see a consultant. However you can still go to see a GP at the Hospital and the charge somewhere in the region of €15.00??

It would pay you in time and less stress to go to a private clinic and see a Dr. Take the existing drugs with you ans ask for a prescription. The Dr will charge you for the visit and the price can be between €25-€50 depending where you go and who you see. The prescription can be bought at any pharmacy.
All things are possible
Coopers

Post by Coopers »

Thanks again for all advice given. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe if I get script from a dr he can only do 3 months as a consultant neurologist can do 7 months which in the long run the latter would be better
Regards Maria
Coopers

Post by Coopers »

Ok thanks I will look her up
Regards Maria
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Coopers wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:11 am Thanks again for all advice given. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe if I get script from a dr he can only do 3 months as a consultant neurologist can do 7 months which in the long run the latter would be better
Regards Maria
I do not know for certain about this, but I would be very surprised at a doctor / consultant giving a 7 months prescription..

By the way, legally 4 months is the maximum you can stay without registering.
Trev..
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Link to list of medications available in Cyprus

https://www.moh.gov.cy/moh/phs/phs.nsf/ ... enDocument
memory man

Post by memory man »

daveg

Post by daveg »

Hope you have thought of Private Health care insurance...
It can be very expensive should you unfortunately fall ill here .
As you are not in receipt of Old Age Pension ,then the local NHS will not help you.....
Just a thought...
josef k

Post by josef k »

Whatever you do, get private health insurance. As said above, you won't be eligible for a Cypriot health card, so you it is likely you will be going private for your needs.
If something happens then you will need to be able to pay for the medical attention necessary so, i'll say it again, get health insurance as soon as possible.

My heart bypass, following a heart attack, cost 30,000 euros in total. Have you got that lying around?
daveg

Post by daveg »

Re health insurance, I have been here ten years....
Now aged 61, luckily for me I took out Private health insurance,
Over the last two years , I've suffered a few problems...the cost of which has been around €20k......
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

That is exactly the right way to look at it.. I have seen reports in newspapers (UK) where people have had a fire or a flood.
It is then reported they they need money because they have lost everything and they weren't insured..
Trev..
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Trevor

Funny old world, as you say this happens and you think how foolish not to be insured. Then H M the Queen's home (well one of them) catches fire, that isn't insured either, but no money worries there. ;)

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Varky

Post by Varky »

Sometimes large organisations with large portfolios of properties do not insure these properties as the total premiums required would add up to the reconstruction costs of a new building so they gamble on there not being more than a complete demolition of any one building in a single year.