Paphos General Hospital:Cardiology Department

Discuss medical issues, and help each other navigate the available options for the Health Service in Cyprus.
Before following anybody's advice on here consider consulting your local doctor first.
Alys

Paphos General Hospital:Cardiology Department

Post by Alys »

As I haven't had one for a while, my GP has advised me to have a routine heart check up. This would be the first time I would be eligble for treatment at the General Hospital so I'm not sure who to go to. Could anyone recommend a Doctor please? Thanking you in advance.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Re: Paphos General Hospital:Cardiology Department

Post by Devil »

Dunno about Paphos, but Nicosia General requires 6-9 months for an appointment. Go private to a good cardiologist at a private hospital, it should cost ~€50 for a routine test with ECG, slightly more if other tests are needed.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Alys.. has your GP given you letter of referral.. And as you say this would be your first time at the General, do you have a medical card, file folder, and a prescription book.?

To see a cardiologist you have to get an appointment.. On the date and time you have to register at the front registration desk, and then wait outside the cardiologists room to be called in. There is a list of patients and appointment times pinned up outside the consultants door..
Trev..
josef k

Post by josef k »

I see Olvia Philippou, who I understand is the only cardiologist at Paphos general at the moment. Her English is limited as she is Greek, not Cypriot, but she is very good and has a good manner. Being the only one, appointments are way into the future, but you will get one eventually.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

This seems strange as both myself and a friend of mine see a lady cardiologist called Maria, who's English is Excellent ..
Trev..
Alys

Post by Alys »

Thanks for your quick replies. Trevnhil, I do have a letter of referral and a Cypriot Medical Card but not a file folder or prescription book. I think the best thing is to go up there and sort out an appointment first. It's funny, my neighbour mentioned Maria but couldn't remember her surname.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

If as you say you have a letter, and a medical card, I would go to the appointments window and see if they will give you the earliest date... Go into the Hospital entrance at the side of the open air Cafe.. The appointment office / window is down the corridor on the right and first right turn.. It is then just on the left hand corner. The Guy is best to see..
Then on the appointment day go to registration and pay 6 euros and get the sticky labels. It is at that time you need to ask for a file, and a prescription book.. Then you go to sit outside the consultants room and wait your turn.. The consultants rooms are opposite the appointments office..
Trev..
Alys

Post by Alys »

Thanks Trevhil for your clear instructions. I'll follow them.
darrow

Post by darrow »

josef k wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:07 pm I see Olvia Philippou, who I understand is the only cardiologist at Paphos general at the moment. Her English is limited as she is Greek, not Cypriot, but she is very good and has a good manner. Being the only one, appointments are way into the future, but you will get one eventually.
There are ,I believe 3 lady cardiologist and a male cardio too. Also Dr Olvia's husband is a cardiologist but he chose to work as a GP, to work around the children, she told me. MOH,sees her, her English is O.K. and she is lovely! Very caring!
Alys

Post by Alys »

Thanks Darrow.