Squamous Cell Carcinoma

Discuss medical issues, and help each other navigate the available options for the Health Service in Cyprus.
Before following anybody's advice on here consider consulting your local doctor first.
2QuarterPints

Squamous Cell Carcinoma

Post by 2QuarterPints »

As a follow-up to my earlier post in the Geocaching Section of the forum, about a lump on my arm, I have just made the following post which I have repeated here as it may be of interest to others who do not follow the Geocaching Section.

"I was right and the lump on my arm was a form of skin cancer after all - Squamous Cell Carcinoma.

Having followed my GP's advice about getting the splinter out of my arm, nothing happened other than the lump started to look more than a little alarming. The best way to describe it is that it looked like a little volcano. It had a diameter of about 1/2" and was about 1/4" high. GP's can't be expected to know everything, the name says it all "General" Practitioners, so I decided to see a Dermatologist privately, as a return to Cyprus and other travel plans are looming so time is not on my side to wait for an NHS appointment, and I now have a nice new scar about 3" long on my arm! The Dermatologist explained that, until fairly recently, Squamous Cell Carcinoma was regarded as very low level skin cancer, but attitudes are now shifting and it is no longer regarded as such, and it has moved up the nastiness scale. Fortunately, the subsequent histology showed that he had got it all.

Just goes to show that you can't be too careful."
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Re: Squamous Cell Carcinoma

Post by Devil »

HiC

Good luck with the therapy!
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Lloyd, thanks for the warning. Hope all goes well with your treatment.
Kay
Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a former life! :lol:
Varky

Post by Varky »

HiC,

Hope all goes well with the treatment. Having just gone through a similar situation with a non-aggressive tumour on a lung lobe and subsequent successful surgery, I can imagine the various worries you are going through. Chin up, as with my case the prognosis sounds good. All the best.
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Hope that it all turns out well for you and yours in the end Lloyd. I had Brachytherapy in Athens. Just over 11 years ago-success.
All things are possible