Blood pressure readings

Discuss medical issues, and help each other navigate the available options for the Health Service in Cyprus.
Before following anybody's advice on here consider consulting your local doctor first.
JimX

Blood pressure readings

Post by JimX »

Blood pressure readings..

Like many others I take medication for blood pressure, I take daily readings but not clear on an average reading, my GP did not actually help with knowing this, I am 70 going on 71 with diabetes, so anyone here knows a reasonable average, my last reading today was 135 over 69...Thank you for any guidance ;)
Jim.
Jimgward

Re: Blood pressure readings

Post by Jimgward »

I am not a clinician, but do measure BP regularly..... You can actually google your reading and it will tell you where it lies....

135 is what would be deemed "high normal" for most - 69 is in the Diastolic and perfect!

You need to know ranges from your GP, most Diabetics (Type 2) have high blood pressure - over 140/90

Without anyone knowing your medication etc, it is impossible to tell...

HOWEVER, I do talk to the NHS about TeleHealth/mHealth devices and their benefits. You can purchase a watch on Amazon, that will measure you BP and Heart Rate using light only. It is not AS accurate as a cuff on the upper arm, but they aren't either. People get stressed taking their BP and once per day isn't as useful as ones taken at irregular intervals, particularly lying in bed resting - these watches can monitor all night! Therefore, you can show a clinician your CHANGES in BP and what has affected them - much more useful, in my opinion.

NOTE: In case it was missed, I am NOT offering any medical advice, only practical wellbeing advice....
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

With a blood pressure monitor usually comes a guide..

Mine reads..

Up to 100 over 60 Hypotension
Up to 120 over 80 Ideal
120 to 129 over 80 to 84 Normal
130 to 139 over 85 to 89 High Normal
140 to 149 over 90 to 99 Hypertension mild
160 to 179 over 100 to 109 Hypertension moderate
180 to 219 over 110 to 119 Hypertension severe.
Readings above these see your doctor immediately

If your reading falls in a different category then use the higher one..

Jim you are High Normal
Trev..
jeba

Post by jeba »

For your age and given that you´re diabetic 135/69 is pretty good.
JimX

Post by JimX »

Thanks all very much appreciated, :) keep taking those pills.......
Jim.
jeba

Post by jeba »

Austin7 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:09 am As I understand it when a persons BP consistently reads higher than 140/90 that is the time to seek urgent medical attention.
And worth trying to lose weight in many cases. When I realised my blood pressure was too high I went on diet and shed 8 kg. Since then it has returned below 130/85. Unfortunately, this only works if it hasn´t been elevated for too long.
Scotslass

Post by Scotslass »

I use the following chart to check the readings:

http://www.bloodpressureuk.org/BloodPre ... ssurechart