Turmeric

Discuss medical issues, and help each other navigate the available options for the Health Service in Cyprus.
Before following anybody's advice on here consider consulting your local doctor first.
Firefly

Turmeric

Post by Firefly »

I have been told by quite a few people now, that they have heard of the relief from arthritic pain by Turmeric, has anyone had any experience of this ? How do you take it, ( I imagine it must be in fairly large amounts) and is it safe for everyone ?

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
June

Re: Turmeric

Post by June »

From what I've read it needs to be in pill form Jackie. (Due to the amount needed)
Perhaps try your nearest health shop?
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Firefly wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:32 pm I have been told by quite a few people now, that they have heard of the relief from arthritic pain by Turmeric, has anyone had any experience of this ? How do you take it, ( I imagine it must be in fairly large amounts) and is it safe for everyone ?

Jackie
If you use Turmeric it is important that you mix it with oil or oily food like Avacado. Further it suppose to be more effective if you mix it with black pepper....
Most curry mixes contain also Turmeric.

Max
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Firefly wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:32 pm I have been told by quite a few people now, that they have heard of the relief from arthritic pain by Turmeric, has anyone had any experience of this ? How do you take it, ( I imagine it must be in fairly large amounts) and is it safe for everyone ?

Jackie

Max
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Both my Dad and his Dad had rheumatic arthritis in their hands and shoulders.....
We eat rather a lot of spicy foods and curries in our house and as yet, arthritis has not shown its' face anywhere in my body, so far ;) Here's hoping it stays that way!

Now, where's that jalfrezi? :)
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Thank you for your replies, I will give it a go, fingers crossed.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Band

Post by Band »

Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Band

Many thanks for the link, now ordered.

Jackie
gazzaga

Post by gazzaga »

Turmeric is also safe to use with animals. There is lots of info available on the internet. There is a 'TUG' (Turmeric User Group) you can search for. I've been giving it to my arthritic Lab for about 10 days and I can see the improvement. Mixed with olive oil and black pepper. She does seem to smell like she's been eating curry though..........
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

For anyone who's interested, I have taken this capsule for a couple of weeks, my pain had virtually vanished, and my usual analgesics, Co-codamol and Tramadol have not been needed at all.

That said, I have noted that anyone who has high blood pressure or treatment for it, should only use after consulting their G.P. So I have put the capsules on hold until I have spoken to my doctor. I have a telephone appointment in the morning, and will see what he says.

Such a pity if he says I must stop, as I cannot believe the difference they have made to me.

Jackie
gazzaga

Re: Turmeric (for dogs)

Post by gazzaga »

I spoke to the vet about giving turmeric to my dog and she looked into it and said it's fine.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Austin

Yes, he said he had no problem with me taking it in spite of my meds for hypertension, and as it was just a spice rather than prescribed mediation told me to 'go for it'. That said, because there are different hypertension meds, it may be that mine are ok, but others may not be.

Jackie