Cyprus Medical System

Discuss medical issues, and help each other navigate the available options for the Health Service in Cyprus.
Before following anybody's advice on here consider consulting your local doctor first.
JohnnyWelsh

Cyprus Medical System

Post by JohnnyWelsh »

I hit the big 65 this year and wonder what I should do to get myself in to the Cypriot medical system?

I have lived here just over ten years and fortunately my health has been very good but I thought I should get myself prepared in case I should ever need to use it..........hopefully not.

Any pointers would be appreciated.
JGD
Mrblobby

Re: Cyprus Medical System

Post by Mrblobby »

You need to get form S1 from the UK , the pensions people should send it automaticly , but if not ask them . When you get it hand it into a citizens centre and they will forward it to Nicosia and they will send you a white medical card . Take the medical card to hospital reception they will register you and issue a prescription book .

Congrats on the big 65 , next year for mine .
JohnnyWelsh

Post by JohnnyWelsh »

Cheers Mr.blobby for the information and the congratulations. Strangely looking forward to it and the pay days from Mr.Chancellor.
JGD
Mrblobby

Post by Mrblobby »

Good question Austin7 , I do not know if they become invalid from lack of use . Best to check it out .

But they do have an expiry date on them , my wife's is 5 years , now on her second card .
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Austin7 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:08 pm When you have received your white medical card is it really necessary to register at the hospital if you hope never to use the service. I have the white card (but have never registered) and have health insurance, the white card only for procedures that either I am not covered for or those that I cannot afford. Does the white card become invalid if I do not register?

You should check your card as it will have an expiry date on it!

Shane
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

You should go and register at the Hospital. Then you will be on there computer system and they will issue a folder which is for when ever you visit a Dr/clinic in the hospital.
All things are possible
sueb

Post by sueb »

Update to a recent visit to get a Cyprus medical card.

Husband turned 65 last Oct and had received the S1 form from the UK on his arrival in November.

Went on Tuesday with the information. Form S1 completed, passport and yellow slip.
Busy but, very helpful at the desk. Got a Cyprus form to complete and was informed that we needed to have copies of all documents. Went to get copies from a Book shop down the road from the advise center cost was only €1.60- turn left block after the Hellenic Bank. Yes if we had known we could have copied them at home but there was no point driving back to Peyia.

The most important thing was that on the S1 form it had not been completed by the UK for me ( me as an dependent). Hubby completed this. Once we got to the desk after waiting 40 mins ( did not think that this was to bad) the guy informed us that this must be filled out by the UK. He did take the forms and said that he would process them for my husband. Would take about 3 weeks.

Have rung the UK and another form with my name added has been requested. Which we will then take back for processing.

Did ask once we received the card do we have to go to the hospital the guy said no. Just take it when you need to go. Has others found this information to be correct?

Just thought that I would share this with you all.
Happy to be back on the Island!
Mighty Sprite

Post by Mighty Sprite »

That is exactly what happened to me and my wife.

Went down last week with the new S1 form that included my wife and they just took a copy of my medical card + yellow slip + wife's passport to send off. We didn't need to complete a new application form.
sueb

Post by sueb »

Mighty Sprite- in your posting you said you took your 'white medical card'.From this can I take it you were already on the system?

The form we were given by Citizen advise center was because we both were applying for the first time.

How long does the white medical last for?

Sue b
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

SueB My white medical card is renewed every 5 years. The new one is automatically sent to the address I put on the application form.
sueb

Post by sueb »

Thank you galexinda for the information. :D
jeba

Post by jeba »

You might want to check whether it´s desirable to be a member of the Cypriot medical system as it may mean that you cannot hope for any funding by your home country if you use a private hospital or doctor. I have no idea about how it is for Brits, but my German statuatory health insurance covers me in Cyprus for the private sector only as long as I don´t sign up to the Cypriot system. They will only pay what treatment would have cost in Germany, but that should be enough I was told (and if not I have very cheap top-up insurance for inpatient treatment at least). Maybe there are similiar rules for the UK?
geoffreys

Post by geoffreys »

jeba wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:03 pm You might want to check whether it´s desirable to be a member of the Cypriot medical system as it may mean that you cannot hope for any funding by your home country if you use a private hospital or doctor. I have no idea about how it is for Brits, but my German statuatory health insurance covers me in Cyprus for the private sector only as long as I don´t sign up to the Cypriot system. They will only pay what treatment would have cost in Germany, but that should be enough I was told (and if not I have very cheap top-up insurance for inpatient treatment at least). Maybe there are similiar rules for the UK?
If you are resident in Cyprus and in receipt of a UK State Pension (i.e . you are retired) you can obtain a Cyprus Health card
and still receive UK NHS treatment if you visit the UK.
The Cyprus costs are paid for by the UK anyway in that case.
We have some German friends who are also retired here, they do not get as good a deal as we do.
Geoff.
jeba

Post by jeba »

geoffreys wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:11 pm The Cyprus costs are paid for by the UK anyway in that case.
Even for private doctors?
geoffreys

Post by geoffreys »

jeba wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:19 pm
geoffreys wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:11 pm The Cyprus costs are paid for by the UK anyway in that case.
Even for private doctors?
No. The Cyprus health card issued to UK State Pensioners here is for the Cyprus State hospitals only.
They don't give us a new Merc either..
:lol:
Geoff.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

jeba wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:03 pm You might want to check whether it´s desirable to be a member of the Cypriot medical system as it may mean that you cannot hope for any funding by your home country if you use a private hospital or doctor. I have no idea about how it is for Brits, but my German statuatory health insurance covers me in Cyprus for the private sector only as long as I don´t sign up to the Cypriot system. They will only pay what treatment would have cost in Germany, but that should be enough I was told (and if not I have very cheap top-up insurance for inpatient treatment at least). Maybe there are similiar rules for the UK?
That's interesting.... I worked with a German guy from 2009 until I left last April 2016 and I recall him having to relinquish his residency (or sign himself out) in Germany sometime after he started living in Cyprus. It seemed very strange to me but maybe the reason you outline above is why? I can't recall though whether it was before or after he married his Cypriot girlfriend who he met while both studying at university in Germany.

The company we worked for provided its' employees with free medical insurance after the first 12 months of employment but it was something I never took up as I already had some pre-existing illnesses which were the only things that ever really caused issues and my husband as my dependent would never have been covered because of his brain injury, even though he had a letter from UK to confirm it was all cleared up and disappeared. It was easier for me to make sure my earnings never went above the threshold so that we were both covered by the Cyprus medical system.... I reduced my hours twice during the 7yrs I was employed there and eventually went down to 4 days a week which ensured we kept our medical cards. The first one was pink then after they brought in the charges for visits/prescriptions we were issued with a buff coloured one at the next issue.

I had 2 lots of medical treatment through the Cyprus health system while we lived there. One for a stomach ulcer where I had the gastroscopy camera down my throat and then follow up appointments and the other as an in-patient for a suspected DVT.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
jeba

Post by jeba »

PhotoLady wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:32 pm
That's interesting.... I worked with a German guy from 2009 until I left last April 2016 and I recall him having to relinquish his residency (or sign himself out) in Germany sometime after he started living in Cyprus. It seemed very strange to me but maybe the reason you outline above is why?
I doubt this was the reason. Every German resident has to register their adress for stays of more than 90 days and deregister when leaving Germany. It´s always been like that even before having health insurance became mandatory for everyone (not only for employees) about 10 years ago. That´s more to do with e. g. that authorities or your creditors and the bailiff will know where to find you and with planning as well as tax purposes (e. g. municipalities get their share of state tax according to the number of inhabitants). So you might want to deregister as otherwise you´ll have to pay for health insurance whether or not you´re still living in Germany.