Cypriot White Medical Cards

Discuss medical issues, and help each other navigate the available options for the Health Service in Cyprus.
Before following anybody's advice on here consider consulting your local doctor first.
Alys

Cypriot White Medical Cards

Post by Alys »

The question of these cards has come up on this site recently regarding dates on the 2020 Taxisnet return. Does anybody know please if these cards are still relevant if you belong to GESY? My white card shows a validity end date but my S1 does not. Also, if these cards are still relevant, how do you go about renewing them? Thanks
jeba

Re: Cypriot White Medical Cards

Post by jeba »

What are they actually good for in the first place? I haven't joined Gesy but was issued one of these white cards without having applied for it.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

They allow you to see a doctor or have treatment at the General Hospital, and only pay a nominal amount .. ie 3, 6, or 10 euros
Trev..
jeba

Post by jeba »

trevnhil wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:45 pm They allow you to see a doctor or have treatment at the General Hospital, and only pay a nominal amount .. ie 3, 6, or 10 euros
Can I choose which of these amounts I want to pay? :D
So, if I understand you correctly, I'm in the same position most people were before Gesy?
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Ha ha, no you can't choose which amount you want to pay.. :-)

But it is 3 euros to see a GP, 6 euros to see a consultant, and 10 euros to visit A&E. As far as I know you would not get to see a consultant before seeing a GP.
Trev..
Polly

Post by Polly »

These cards are usually automatically renewed in plenty of time before expiry i.e: posted out to you. If you don't receive one do what I did a couple of years ago and phone the Ministry of Health and new card was issued straight away. Or you could try the Citizens Service Centres where many people applied for them initially.

I don't know what they are used for now, unless it is for the tax form! They must be relevant somehow or why still issue them?
Alys

Post by Alys »

Thanks Polly. If I don't receive a new one near to the expiry date, I'll go to the Citizen Advice Centre and ask there.