Total Hip replacement

Discuss medical issues, and help each other navigate the available options for the Health Service in Cyprus.
Before following anybody's advice on here consider consulting your local doctor first.
Lincoln

Total Hip replacement

Post by Lincoln »

On Monday 19th Oct I was admitted to the Blue Cross Hosp at 0800hr. By 10.00hrs I was down in the Operating Theatre. Spinal Anaesthetic. At 1200hrs back to the ward in bed. New hip in place. Stayed three nights and on Thursday discharged. Great treatment and food throughout. All this including medication was done under GESY. It did not cost me anything. :D .

I am out and about using my Zimmer frame at present and still taking a few medications.

I definitely recommend Dr. George Nicandrou at Blue cross Hosp/Clinic.
All things are possible
aphrodite

Re: Total Hip replacement

Post by aphrodite »

Good morning Lincoln.

I hope you will continue to get stronger from your recent surgery. I also can’t praise the Blue X clinic enough. I’ve had two successful spinal surgeries under the neurosurgeon, Michael Spirou who I would recommend.

Keep practicing, hopefully you will soon be able to walk without the Zimmer frame! :D

Aphrodite X
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Yaba Daba Doooooo. Saw Dr. Nicandrou this morning and now off all the drugs apart from the daily injection of anti coagulant. Also, great news I am now dashing around with my elbow crutches instead of the dreaded Zimmer frame. :D
All things are possible
JimX

Post by JimX »

Just one thing Lincoln it depends on the type of full hip replacement to how long you are in hospital, a full joint is like a broken leg bone, and takes several weeks in hospital as mine did, our good friend just had the fit type and cement and was out of bed in a few days, I could not put any weight on my replacement for 7 weeks I was told it was a better idea no cement at the age I was at then....OK though as it was just a push fit joint...no cement! Had mine replaced in the Iasis that was 12 years ago.

Good luck and I hope at least you are now pain free.
Jim.
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

JimX wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:11 am Just one thing Lincoln it depends on the type of full hip replacement to how long you are in hospital, a full joint is like a broken leg bone, and takes several weeks in hospital as mine did, our good friend just had the fit type and cement and was out of bed in a few days, I could not put any weight on my replacement for 7 weeks I was told it was a better idea no cement at the age I was at then....OK though as it was just a push fit joint...no cement! Had mine replaced in the Iasis that was 12 years ago.

Good luck and I hope at least you are now pain free.
Hi Jim, mine is titanium cement free total hip replacement. I am allowed to place a certain amount of weight on the joint. Pain free at last and getting out and about. :D
All things are possible
JimX

Post by JimX »

As was mine Lincoln, but I was told because it was cement free do not to put any weight on the joint for eight weeks or more.
Jim.
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

JimX wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:03 pm As was mine Lincoln, but I was told because it was cement free do not to put any weight on the joint for eight weeks or more.
Different Surgeons/Hospitals probably different rules? My first hip replacement was all stitches. This time final closure was Staples. Anyway Jim glad your doing OK. I am virtually managing without the crutches now, but will continue with them for another week or so. Then onto my faithful walking stick. Stay safe mate. :D
All things are possible