cardiologist

Discuss medical issues, and help each other navigate the available options for the Health Service in Cyprus.
Before following anybody's advice on here consider consulting your local doctor first.
garry&jill

cardiologist

Post by garry&jill »

Just discovered that there is no longer a cardiologist at Polis hospital, trying to see one at the general
is quite difficult
garry
trevnhil

Re: cardiologist

Post by trevnhil »

Not sure why seeing one at the General should be difficult.. Go with your medical card to the appointments window and ask for an appointment .

Trev..
Trev..
merchant_banker

Post by merchant_banker »

A few years ago the cardiologist at Polis hospital was Dr Stellios Karvounaris. Superb doctor in every way. He moved to Paphos hospital in order to work closer to home.

As with a lot of excellent Cy hospital doctors he has now left and works in the private sector.

He now practices at Evangellmos Hospital.
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

Dr Evros and Nikoleta are also my cardiologists. Brilliant doctors.
Louise :)
garry&jill

Post by garry&jill »

the reason I say it's difficult is because if you're not registered or know the names of the cardiologists in paphos
trying to see one urgently is not easy
garry
garry&jill

Post by garry&jill »

Thanks for that Lloyd
garry
PeteandSylvi

Post by PeteandSylvi »

I sympathise with Garry&Jill having just discovered the same problem recently when I attended Polis hospital for a routine stress test, holding an appointment card written by the cardiologist who carried out the previous stress test there. On registering I was told there was no cardiology there. Showing the appointment card produced a shrug of the shoulders. I asked what I should do and was told go to Paphos. At Paphos I asked advice from the Friends who took me to the hospital manager who helpfully made a couple of calls and said to go to Cardiology and they will see me when the doctors have finished their rounds. A helpful nurse confirmed this and after a substantial wait I was wired up for the test and saw the Cardiologist who I used to see on all but the last visit to Polis. He asked for my notes and I explained that I had no idea where they might be. He made some calls and found out they remain at Polis and asked someone there to fax the details of the last test. I was unwired and then waited for some time. Eventually I was wired up again and the stress test was carried out which had a good result. He then asked me to get my notes from Polis for the next test in 6 months.

I returned to Polis Hospital and asked for my notes and had them in my hand within a few moments. However I was told quite sternly that I must bring them back there. I decided not to attempt to query the fact they were needed in Paphos permanently.

My conclusion is that the administration that decides what is going on is less than optimum. If they closed the department at Polis and sent all the patients to Paphos, why not take all their notes to Paphos? It all seems rather simple to me. Fortunately the medical staff involved in this episode were all rather more efficient and helpful than the administration.

So to anyone in the same boat, ensure you get your file from Polis before your appointment at Paphos as they won't. And I suggest that you do as I have done and hang on to the file. Do not let them have it back!

Pete
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Sorry Garry, I made the assumption when you mentioned not being able to see a cardiologist at the government Polis Hospital, that you Were registered..
You can of course go and see a private cardiologist almost at any time..

Trev..
Trev..
garry&jill

Post by garry&jill »

good idea about keeping your notes from Polis but what happens when if like me you use Polis to get your repeat perscriptions
I wonder if they will be hunting around for your notes
garry
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Just do like most ex pats do and keep your note/ files at home.. My wife and I just take them along to the hospital with us when we need them..

Trev..
Trev..
PeteandSylvi

Post by PeteandSylvi »

garry&jill wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:35 pm good idea about keeping your notes from Polis but what happens when if like me you use Polis to get your repeat perscriptions
I wonder if they will be hunting around for your notes
garry
They will be if you don't take them with you !!!

:oops:

Pete
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

As Pete seems to say... Take them with you always. You already have your prescription book and medical card and maybe an appointment slip.. When you register at either hospital, just tell them you have your files..

Trev..
Trev..
garry&jill

Post by garry&jill »

Thanks everyone I'll try that
garry
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

Dr. Nicos Panayides at the Paphos General likes you to keep your notes tidy. He suggested a ring binder with sections for each of the specialities. I duly did this recently for my husbands notes (I used a 10 part index with GP notes to the front), stuck one of the spare stickers on the front with the relevant registration references and the good doctor was very happy!

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

But I wonder if other departments of the hospital will be so happy..
Orthopedics and A&E come to mind . ha ha.

Trev..
Trev..
smudger

Post by smudger »

Pleeease don't get me started on A & E :shock: :lol:
smudger

Post by smudger »

Had 2 experiences of A & E, once in the middle of the night which, once I got past the sleeping dragon on admissions was good.
One on a Saturday afternoon, which was a disaster. Made a further visit to Evangelismos 3 days later, where the diagnosis was that the discloation of my finger was still there, along with a fracture. I had been discharged from A & E at the General after 4.5 hours, dislocation sorted, no fracture.

Pays your money, takes your choice! Or rather - sometimes - no choice!
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

And yet there are others like myself where the Hospital has saved our lives.. Heart attack 2007..

Trev..
Trev..
smudger

Post by smudger »

Do appreciate that Trev, and so glad your treatment was so good, wish I could say the same for my neighbour who was in there a few weeks ago, on the cardiology ward.
Simply dreadful. He finally succumbed to a 4th arrest. What I really couldn't get my head around was the nurses sleeping on a cardiology ward.

I was only in the Evangelismos for a day, but I was hardly ever alone, nurses coming in constantly to check drips, monitors, BP, temperature etc etc.

Sadly, I can't fund this level of care on an ongoing basis, so have to entrust myself to the General.

Jacs
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

That's extremely sad news to hear, Jacs. My heart goes out to you for being there with your neighbour, in his dying moments...

You are indeed an angel in these kind of circumstances. God Bless you.. AL x
Gone but not forgotten...