cardiologist

Discuss medical issues, and help each other navigate the available options for the Health Service in Cyprus.
Before following anybody's advice on here consider consulting your local doctor first.
trevnhil

Re: cardiologist

Post by trevnhil »

smudger wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:36 pm Do appreciate that Trev, and so glad your treatment was so good, wish I could say the same for my neighbour who was in there a few weeks ago, on the cardiology ward.
Simply dreadful. He finally succumbed to a 4th arrest. What I really couldn't get my head around was the nurses sleeping on a cardiology ward.

I was only in the Evangelismos for a day, but I was hardly ever alone, nurses coming in constantly to check drips, monitors, BP, temperature etc etc.

Sadly, I can't fund this level of care on an ongoing basis, so have to entrust myself to the General.

Jacs
There will always be good and bad experiences in all Hospitals... And yes on the cardiology ward the night shift nurses slept on 2 chairs with pillows..

But In the Evangalismos Dad was admitted to a private ward with 2 beds... Hilary was told she had to stay with him 24/7 because the 'Nurses station' could not see in the private rooms... She asked them to keep an eye on him whilst she went home for some things.. When we came back there was blood everywhere in the private room and bathroom.. Dad had climbed out of bed over the rails to go to the bathroom.... He had pulled the drip out of his arm and blood was spurting everywhere...
Hilary stayed in the room overnight but was not allowed to sleep on the spare bed.. She had to sleep on the floor..
Not the treatment you expect when paying privately..

Trev..
Trev..
smudger

Post by smudger »

Totally agree Trev, and not what we expect from medics, either private or General. Not sure what the answer is, but a massive revamp of what medical care - and in particular CRITICAL medical care - really means here is long, long overdue!

Same scenario with ambulances, which have NO paramedics on board, or even nurses. It's not equipped to administer any sort of medical care, simply a glorified handcart to get them to hospital. Unless of course the patient is too heavy, in which case the family have to do it ??? I know at lest one person on here who can testify to this!

This is third world medical care!!!
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

Trev- last year, I had to go to the L&D in Luton for a simple CT Scan on my Lungs region. Had to 'fast' that morning, as it involved pre-prep pumping fluid around my veins and arteries that would show up on the slice scans.

The nurse that injected my right elbow beforehand seemed quite good at her job, when implanting the fluid connection. However, when I got onto the CT Bed and they connected my arm to the drip feed, all hell broke loose! My blood was spurting out all over the place at this connection point!

It took the two of them in CT a good ten minutes to correct this issue, before they could then proceed with the CT scan on me...

Still living happily ever after- AL
Gone but not forgotten...
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

I do think that thankfully things have improved with the ambulance service since that of a few years back when they were simply similar to orderlies. This from a recent Cyprus Mail article:

"Cyprus is currently in line with international standards as regards response time which is ten minutes in urban areas and 20 for rural areas.

Constantinou said that Cyprus was following the Swedish model, which means that each ambulance is manned by two crew members – a university-level educated nurse with additional two-year training in emergency care, and a driver or rescuer who is also highly trained in managing urgent cases."

Full article: http://cyprus-mail.com/2017/01/21/four- ... s-running/

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
Rita Sherry

Post by Rita Sherry »

Urgent Message for Lloyd (Happy in Cyprus)

Hello Lloyd

I intended to send you a PM but it seems you are not so linked. However I wonder if you could kindly assist me please with directions to Drs Evros & Nikoleta Loizides surgery in Paphos(Agias Lavrs St) .

I have been in the UK and visited my cardiologist there to check my pacemaker which is about to run down battery wise and my man believes there is a possibility I do not need a new one but I require some tests undertaken to establish whether this is so. He has sent me a letter to show to my cardiologist here but the one at the General wishes to replace the pacemaker in any event. This concerns me somewhat in view of the differing opinions without any test being undertaken (I could not get these done in UK as they are required 24hours once a week over a 3 week period and I had to return). I feel I need a second opinion here and the tests done in the event I do need the pacemaker replacing whilst at the same time do not wish to undergo unnecessary surgery. The present one will last approximately 6 months longer so I wish to get on with it so to speak..

No need to send a PM to me if it is inconvenient I will keep checking the site.

Thank you Lloyd for any assistance you can give me.

Best wishes

Rita
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

If coming from the Debenhams roundabout in the direction of Kennedy Square, past the trafic lights, past the Makarios Statue (on your right hand) and from there it is the third street on the left hand side. There is a small sign with their name on it. It's at the end of that small street.
Louise :)
Rita Sherry

Post by Rita Sherry »

Lloyd and Louise

Thank you both so very much you have been a great help. I will call the clinic tomorrow to make an appointment.

Lloyd - Yes I thought you had given me directions but a search back revealed nothing save had I looked in the Medical section I would have found it easily -silly me. Rather taken up with my UK cardiologists letter I'm afraid. Sorry to have troubled you again but am truly grateful to you both.

Best wishes

Rita
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Here is a location map showing CYTA office and Agias Lavras Street is nearly opposite the Paphos District Archaeological Museum and shows on the map if you magnify it.

http://www.cyprus.com/cytashop-paphos-- ... -maps.html
Rita Sherry

Post by Rita Sherry »

Galexinda

Thank you for your input - I think I know where it is now. However your map link was showing blank but thank you anyway.

Rita
Rita Sherry

Post by Rita Sherry »

Hello Louise & Lloyd

Thank you both for your recommendation of Dr Evros. I saw him on Wednesday (and found the clinic without difficulty) had a successful meeting and will be seeing him again after Easter regarding tests recommended by my Cardiologist in the UK who originally inserted my pacemaker. Dr Evros wishes to consult with a colleague in Nicosia but confirms he can do the recommended tests so that is a positive step. My fingers are crossed tightly that I shall be able to avoid any further surgery. Thank you both once more. Happy Easter

Rita
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

Good to hear Rita. Have a nice Easter too.
Louise :)
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Excellent news Rita. I saw Dr Evros and Dr Nikoletta last year and as he was talking to me he could recall the consultations and tests I had in 2004 without having to refer to my medical records. Not bad after 12 years! Have seen him at Blue Cross Medical Centre as well as his own office but fortunately for me the problem was resolved and so no longer in his care. Hope you have a positive outcome and no more surgery.
Rita Sherry

Post by Rita Sherry »

Galexinda

Thank you so very much for your kind message. I am so pleased you no longer require Dr Evros services and wish you well for the future. I so hope the tests I am to have will prove to confirm what my UK cardiologist believes to be the position but I have every confidence in Dr Evros he really impressed me.

Rita
Rita Sherry

Post by Rita Sherry »

Lloyd, Louise, Galexinda & anyone else remotely interested.

Just an update on progress. I have undertaken the tests recommended re my pacemaker and this morning Dr Evros and his good lady wife Dr Nicoleta Loizides confirmed the results showed I was in permanent fibularation and thus the pacemaker is surplus to requirements (in other words is not doing anything) consequently no further surgery to replace said pacemaker (due to run out anytime soon) is necessary. Dr Nicoleta went through what is happening very, very thoroughly with charts etc and it transpires that the heart or at least the part where the problem was is healing itself i.e. some self healing going on which is absolutely marvellous.

Dr Nicoleta printed out all the results for me and made some notes on the monitor readings for me personally in lay terms in order that I could properly understand - the more scientific ones will be passed to my Cardiologist in the UK who initially inserted the pacemaker. Doubtless he will be pleased his diagnosis and suppositions have been confirmed.

I was and have been immensely impressed with both these cardiologists who took great pains to explain all that was going on and I every confidence in both of them - cannot speak more highly of them and thoroughly recommend their services.

They have advised the same tests every six months for a period to keep an eye on progress - service.

On an entirely different matter Dr Evros said he was concerned about my wheezing cough (went down with a nasty heavy cold, cough etc during Easter)and suggested I possibly needed antibiotics due to the breathlessness. He telephoned Dr Mala and made an appointment for me to see her following my return from his office. Now that is service.

Anyway Lloyd, Louise & Galexinda once more my very grateful appreciation for your recommendation and assistance - I am a very happy bunny today wheezes and all. Thank YOU ALL.

To Dominic:

If you deem it more appropriate please return this thread to the Medical Section but I am also grateful to you for giving it the attention you did.

Best wishes to you All

Rita
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

I have had to attend the A n E dept at Paphos Gen twice and was very happy with the superb treatment and attention that i got.
All things are possible
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Rita Sherry wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:19 pm
To Dominic:

If you deem it more appropriate please return this thread to the Medical Section but I am also grateful to you for giving it the attention you did.

Best wishes to you All

Rita
You are most welcome, and I am glad to read your news. I have moved this to the Medical Matters section, as it will be a lot easier to find in a couple of months that way. Threads in the General section get more views but drop down the pages fairly rapidly.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.