Night-time loo trips 'linked to salt in diet'

Discuss medical issues, and help each other navigate the available options for the Health Service in Cyprus.
Before following anybody's advice on here consider consulting your local doctor first.
OhSusana

Post by OhSusana »

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-39382339

Interesting. New study in Japan.
Varky

Re: Night-time loo trips 'linked to salt in diet'

Post by Varky »

If you eat salty food or use more salt in your diet you tend to drink more water than usual. If you drink more water than usual you tend to go to the toilet more often.
Next they will be saying that too much salt in your diet raises blood pressure :roll: .
merchant_banker

Post by merchant_banker »

Rubbish like this is likely to deter people seeking help and the delay of diagnosing prostrate cancer

This was on a sample of 300 people !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Don't they tell you to always drink a glass of water before you go to bed?

I have an inkling it's something to do with looking after your heart..... :?
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

And yet if you have heart problems you are sometimes prescribed Diuretic tablets to get rid of water .

Trev..
Trev..
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

And they wonder why nobody takes any notice of what the so called "experts" tell us these days...... and take their comments with a pinch of salt.

Oops! That takes us back to the top of this thread again :lol:
Enjoy that merry go round ride, folks!
OhSusana

Post by OhSusana »

PhotoLady wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:24 pm And they wonder why nobody takes any notice of what the so called "experts" tell us these days......
Believe me, the doctors aren't in the least surprised! They just need to look at this thread!

The kidneys produce urine.
Excess salt can only be removed from the body in solution - i.e. in the form of urine.
And this is done more at night than during the daytime.

Obviously - it goes without saying - except it doesn't for some people -
consuming salt makes you thirsty - so you actually get a double effect. But obviously - obviously - the scientists have taken this into account. They are not your average dim-wit off the street. We are talking here of a conference of eminent urologists from around the world.

As you become older, the body becomes less efficient at dealing with salt. So - this problem - going to toilet during the night affects a majority of people over the age of 60.
So - if this study is true, then - it could have benefits for tens of millions of people, including, I would think a sizeable number of expat residents of Cyprus - which is why I posted it here.

One aside - the father of a good veterinary friend of mine happens to be a major hospital urologist.
And word on the street is - or at least from his son - that he is quite excited about this study.
Normally I only see him vaguely excited when leaving the hospital on his way to the golf course... but... there you go.

As for sample size, 300 is quite good. I would suggest the confidence interval is about 95%.
But maybe The Devil will correct me.

Obviously the Japanese team intend to repeat with a larger sample size.
I have attended doctors' conferences, and I can also say with confidence, if there was something initially dodgy about this research it would have been ripped to sheds. It wasn't.

I suggest -
reduce your salt intake. Remember this study is independent of water intake. Most studies in this field have looked solely at water intake.
That is where this study is new.
Reduce your salt intake. Then - at night - you will have less excess salt for your body to remove.
Then - your kidneys will produce less urine - and you find yourself trotting off to the toilet less! (Nocturia).
Improving the quality of life for many many millions of people.
Including women, and men - with, or without prostate problems.
obviously - it goes without saying - if you are a man - get a ultra-sound every year - prostate. But that's a different matter entirely.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

I only put salt on grilled chicken, grilled lamb chops, jacket potatoes, chips and tomatoes (cold ones - not cooked ones).

Hate food that has too much salt in it and my hubby knows not to add it into anything he's cooking 'cos he's in charge of the cooking. I just give the orders ;-)
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I don't think I've ever put salt on a jacket potato. They are essential on chips, but I would have thought the butter would have enough salt in it on the jacket spud.

The vast majority of salt in our diets come from processed food.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

For blood pressure and general health reasons, we rarely add salt during cooking - unless it's to courgettes. Chips and boiled eggs are the 2 foods I find need salt added at table.

However, sometimes, especially in summer, I find I have to increase my salt intake or suffer cramps in feet &/or legs at night. Sometimes OH's blood pressure drops too low so, on Dr's advice, he eats a little salt for a pretty instant "pick me up". Hasn't happened for so long now, we're tempting fate by not carrying with us a little sachet of salt for emergency use! :roll: :lol:
Kay
Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a former life! :lol: