Hearing Aids

Discuss medical issues, and help each other navigate the available options for the Health Service in Cyprus.
Before following anybody's advice on here consider consulting your local doctor first.
clive of payia

Hearing Aids

Post by clive of payia »

Going a bit Mutton Jeff these days, well, been married 54 years. Are hearing aids cheaper to buy in Cyprus than the UK?

Thanks. Psst! don't tell the wife.
memory man

Re: Hearing Aids

Post by memory man »

I can't help with the difference in prices between UK & Cyprus, but
both my wife and myself have had invisible hearing aids supplied by
the Cyprus Hearing Centre,
which is almost opposite the Paphos General Hospital.
We had our hearing tested at the General and the doctor suggested
we go to the Cyprus Hearing Centre. We were both pleasantly surprised
with the attention and information which Marios (CHC) gave to us.
The aids are not cheap, but due to being registered at General, we
filled in some forms, got them signed by ENT doc at General and handed in
to Admin dept. on top floor of General. We have now received some money
back from Cyprus Government.

Both of us ( my wife has 2 aids, and I have 1 ) are more than pleased with
the results.

Hope this helps.
clive of payia

Post by clive of payia »

Thank you. Most helpful.
Lynsab

Post by Lynsab »

Hearing aids for those aged 60 or over are free on the NHS UK, and are the latest digital technology. The 'in the ear' type are for those with mild to moderate hearing loss...people may be surprised by the range and cutting-edge design of the hearing aids available on the NHS.

Brightly coloured models are now available on the NHS for people who want to make a feature of their hearing aid.

My OH has very small over the ear digital hearing aids ( worth approx £4k) that took less two weeks from testing to arrive...the batteries and regular servicing free too...

There's a myth that the NHS produces its own, inferior hearing aids. The NHS doesn’t produce its own hearing aids, but holds a special contract with the top manufacturers in the industry - ones that also sell privately. Hearing aids on the NHS are free and digital as standard.

The free service is now also available at many specsavers in the UK..
emgee

Post by emgee »

Clive

I, too, purchased hearing aids from the Cyprus Hearing Centre but no longer wear them as they don't provide the sound I require, ie speech, I get a lot of background noise which I don't want.

I know of many people who purchased hearing aids and after a while have discarded them for the above reason.

Doing research into hearing, it seems that if you need hearing aids, then its too late, your hearing system is damaged beyond hearing aid assistance.

Regards

Alan
clive of payia

Post by clive of payia »

Thanks for that Alan.
Geffa

Post by Geffa »

I have to have my say on this topic because what subscribers are telling you Clive is total nonsense.
I started off with NHS behind the ear version and they worked to a degree but are nowhere up with the state of the art In the Canal type which are purchased privately.
Specsavers offer 2 for 1 which means one for each ear and will cost for good ones made by Phonak for about 1300 pounds. These are amazing and to coin a phrase you can hear a flea fa..
3 weeks ago I took delivery of the very latest NHS aids which I use indoors or as back up should I lose my Phonak whilst in Cyprus
Specsavers provide 4 years batteries free which are not cheap to buy.
Alan you are quite wrong if you think good ones whistle or whatever and furthermore they give you satisfaction in not pretending to follow the detail of conversation or tv when people know you are deaf.
I used the Cyprus Hearing Centre for a price comparison and they are not competitive.
Geoff of Surrey and Secret Valley