Wi FI booster

Everything to do with I.T, T.V, and telephony.
AFJ

Wi FI booster

Post by AFJ »

Have been having a look at these for a while, has anyone got one ? if so do they work ? what's the best one to buy ?
Thanks Jenny
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Wi FI booster

Post by Dominic »

all depends on your setup. I bought one recently, and it works fine. You can configure it in a number of ways. The most useful (to you probably) are:

1. Repeater
In this mode, the device picks up the existing wifi signal and rebroadcasts it. This is the least complicated approach. However, internet connections that use the repeater will not be as fast as a connection to the original router, as more work is being done. In this mode, you only have one wifi network.

2. Wireless Access Point
In this mode, you have to connect the device to the main router via ethernet. In my case, I used two powerline plugs so the access point could be in another part of the house. The Access Point creates it's own wireless network, so you now have two wireless networks. People connecting to the second network get a faster wifi connection than using the repeater.

So, if you have kids, you can configure it so that they only connect via the access point. You can then put a restriction on the access point so that it only works between certain hours. Instantly you have a way of limiting internet access that doesn't involve software.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Mrblobby

Post by Mrblobby »

I have a repeater and it does what Domenic says . But I have seen adverts for “boosters” that are worded to make them sound like they can increase your WiFi speed . :shock:
Attachments
BB24F54C-3571-4126-8B1A-865C744DD9F9.jpeg
BB24F54C-3571-4126-8B1A-865C744DD9F9.jpeg (111.21 KiB) Viewed 3345 times
Oxfordboy

Post by Oxfordboy »

Although my area of IT expertise is far more software than networking, the only way that visual could work is if the connection through to your ISP is greater than the connection speed on the right - although at 70 bits per second, it's probably quicker to send a letter!

I have a similar setup to Dominic by the sound of it, with Powerline connections in each bedroom, each with their own wifi range extender so everywhere is covered and I can switch on area only when needed. Works really well.
Pchome

Post by Pchome »

I brought over a bog standard belkin from the UK and it works great all around the house it's a booster so put it where you get a reasonable signal mines on the upstairs landing and it will turn it into excellent, i think it was about £25 from Amazon.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

I had a WiFi booster for upstairs but as of yesterday it’s redundant. Cyta called round to upgrade and replaced modem. The signal is now much stronger hence no need for upstairs booster. Perhaps that might be of benefit to you?
Last edited by Jimgym on Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

We bought one in UK for the conservatory about 12 months ago and it's been excellent. I could always get wifi on my mobile in the conservatory but often struggled with the laptop.
Now I have access from arriving at the front gate of the house and right through into the back garden!
"Have Camera, Will Travel"