TV - Would upgrading internet package help?

Everything to do with I.T, T.V, and telephony.
trevnhil

Re: TV - Would upgrading internet package help?

Post by trevnhil »

Where do you get the information that Mag's buffer setting should be set to Zero ?? As others have said at least one supplier has said it is better at more than zero.
And of course you can see from comments here that when people have increased the buffer setting it has improved their viewing experience..
Trev..
JimX

Post by JimX »

From the many providers I have used, I can only say I saw NO improvement in any way by increasing the setting, but if it gets you a better service then good, but next time you do need a service provider ask him that question as I have. My experience has come from owning several MAGs Trev, not through some vague questions. As I have said here several times if it works for you then terrific but mine is staying at 0.
Last edited by JimX on Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I did ask Jim. In fact I took the box to the shop.. The setting was increased and FOR ME it was better viewing..
So the outcome would seem to be if your are suffering from some freezing or stuttering of the picture, Increase the buffer size a little and see if there is an improvement. It certainly seems to have worked for some members
Trev..
JimX

Post by JimX »

Good for you but why did you take it to a shop? very easy to change this for yourself.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I was going to the shop anyway so took it with me..
Trev..
JimX

Post by JimX »

Best to know how to do it yourself Trev. Then you can experiment :)
Jim.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

You obviously missed anther post of mine where I said I had just reset it to 7... It is working better now.
But if yours works OK on zero that is just fine. ;-)
Trev..
Lazydaze52

Post by Lazydaze52 »

Oh dear, what a can of worms I’ve opened!!!

Last night we had an evening indoors viewing so set the buffer to 4, then 5 but experienced fair amount of freezing so went back to 6 at which point we had two or three freezes in the rest of the evening, so for us it would seem 6 is probably a good setting.

I did pick up the Magbox after about 4 hrs of constant use and it was warm but not overly hot, still might look for something to raise it up as per suggestions in other posts.

Long term we may look at different suppliers as I am keen on films and we don’t seem to be getting many of the newer releases, our current provider seems to be downloading a lot of horror, sci-fi and teen type stuff, not our preferred viewing, although I must say we enjoy Mr Mercedes and Man in the High Castle.
MacManiac

Post by MacManiac »

Lazydaze52 wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:41 pm Long term we may look at different suppliers as I am keen on films and we don’t seem to be getting many of the newer releases, our current provider seems to be downloading a lot of horror, sci-fi and teen type stuff, not our preferred viewing, although I must say we enjoy Mr Mercedes and Man in the High Castle.
It is a veritable minefield. We changed suppliers about nine months ago and are very happy with the live tv and the catch-up but the VOD was as you have found. However, on contacting the supplier, he suggested a separate subscription which is entirely films and tv series (box sets). We had a trial and found the content much better. About 6000 films and many, many tv box sets - some going back to the golden age of the 70s and 80s. The cost ... €13 a quarter. So, if the live tv is not to our taste, we switch to VOD. Both work harmoniously on our Mag 256.
Lazydaze52

Post by Lazydaze52 »

MacManic could you PM me with details of your provider please?
glang3000

Post by glang3000 »

Just a thought, how many devices are connected to your router, if you have a pc, a laptop, 2 ipads and say 2 iphones you may find it is either too many things connected or one of them is causing a problem. If you have a few try turning them off, then turn one on at a time.

Also change your password, when my neighbours wi-fi was slow he found one of the well known Paphos wi-fi providers had connected to his wi-fi and was selling a connection to his next door neighbour, all a simple mistake they claimed.

Gary.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

About 6 moths or more ago, I complained that I was getting broken up picture from my mag box..
I tested the speed I was getting and it was very low indeed. It should have been 8 mb
My internet supplier came out to see why it was so low..
To my embarrassment he pointed out that I had a VPN switched on... When it was turned off the signal went back up to 8mb and viewing TV from the mg box was just fine..
Trev..
Lazydaze52

Post by Lazydaze52 »

We had another trouble free evening last night watching a combination of live tv, catch up and box set so increasing the buffer size seems to have worked for us. If we do have further problems I will bear in mind the number of devices we have connected and in answer to the last post, as far as I am aware, we don’t have a VPN.

Thanks to everyone for their advice 😃👍
MacManiac

Post by MacManiac »

Lazydaze52 wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:17 pm MacManic could you PM me with details of your provider please?
There is a PM for you.