TV - Would upgrading internet package help?

Everything to do with I.T, T.V, and telephony.
Lazydaze52

TV - Would upgrading internet package help?

Post by Lazydaze52 »

Having problems every night with pic freezing. We have 10MB with Cyta and speed tests show we are getting roughly that, however speed test on tv system on our Magbox254 regularly showing less than half that speed and sometimes as low as 2mbs. It seems to be worse in the evening between 8-11pm.

We’re wondering whether upping our internet speed to 20MB would help at all. Any advice on this appreciated.
Uncle D

Re: TV - Would upgrading internet package help?

Post by Uncle D »

I had the same issue some months ago, 10mb is plenty enough.
Before you buy another box
Is you mag box connected to your router/modem by a cable or is connected by wifi? If its wifi try connecting by a cable
If its cable, your internal house phone line may need upgrading to a cat 5 line.
David
JimX

Post by JimX »

Not at all sure who your provider is, this time it looks to be the problem, I also have 20mb internet connection and I can tell you this is not the problem this time, so contact your provider and ask the question what is he doing about the problem, do let us know what he says.
Jim.
Mrblobby

Post by Mrblobby »

I have a mag250 , I have never used the built in speed test , so as a matter of interest I just tried it .

Mine also showed less than half the speed I get with other speed testers .

Like you I am on 10mb .

However I get no problems with my viewing , so as Jim said it points to your service provider , if you have tried what uncleD suggested.
Lazydaze52

Post by Lazydaze52 »

Thanks for all suggestions. We are currently using cable between the router and tv. Cyta have carried out speed tests on our outside line and confirm it is working ok but have changed our router in case that was the problem.

Our system provider (in Limassol) says there is nothing wrong on his side. Two friends in Limassol also use this system and one (with Cyta) is having similar problems, the other friend’s is ok and they’re with Primetel, I wouldn’t have thought that should make a difference though

We pay an annual subscription which is due for renewal in a couple of months so now is the time to look at alternatives but it sounds like we might have to consider replacing the connection cable in the house as a couple of you have suggested. Is it a simple job, we rent so don’t think our landlord would be too happy to have walls channeled out for new cables.

While I was writing this post a new reply came from Hudswell, so thanks for that link I’ll look at that now.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Cyta can also test the inside house line and verify that this is the problem, but the engineer needs to do that at your house.
To install a new phone line, your electrician will usually attach the new line to the old one and pull the new line through the conduit.
We cancelled Cyta as our electrician couldn't do that as there was several phone lines all connected together and branched off to 5 locations around the house, so we now have a small dish on the roof that gets its signal from a nearby communications tower, we constantly get 10mb download and 10mb upload.
David
Lazydaze52

Post by Lazydaze52 »

Hudswell,

Showed my OH your link and on checking the buffer was set to zero so he increased that. Have viewed both box sets and tv all evening without one problem, even HD channels which were previously unwatchable.

Based on tonight’s viewing I think you might have solved our problem.

Thank you 😊
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Lazydaze52 wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:29 pm Hudswell,

Showed my OH your link and on checking the buffer was set to zero so he increased that. Have viewed both box sets and tv all evening without one problem, even HD channels which were previously unwatchable.

Based on tonight’s viewing I think you might have solved our problem.

Thank you 😊
Just as a matter of interest, What number did you increase the buffer setting to ??
Trev..
Lazydaze52

Post by Lazydaze52 »

We set the buffer at 6 and reception was perfect last night.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Thank you for the reply :-) Just reset ours to 7, it was at zero :-)
Trev..
JimX

Post by JimX »

The MAG units do have a speed test but it is never accurate, best to use maybe OOKLA it is free and gives a better BB speed testing.

http://www.speedtest.net/

Usually, you have the buffer set to zero, but if moving this on helps your system then great, but next time you meet up with your provider do mention that you have altered this setting.

Have to say apart from one backup program (last night) all has been OK Monday, not saying this will last though.

Lloyd definitely hard-wired over Wi-Fi.
Jim.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

When my supplier was from SOS then they told me to set the buffer roughly in the middle.
Trev..
JimX

Post by JimX »

I have not used SOS for a provider Trev and I can say that I was told years ago to leave as it was set, zero, but as I said if it helps you then great.
Jim.
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

I would also recommend sticking with 0 as increasing has the effect of tripling the demand on the device Ram and processor which is one reason why devices get hotter - it is reducing the life expectancy of the box.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I feel sure that if the buffer setting was always supposed to be set on zero, then it would not have been made with the opportunity to alter it from 0 to 15..
Trev..
Lazydaze52

Post by Lazydaze52 »

We might try lowering the number a bit over a few nights, see how low we can set it without losing quality, but the ability to have uninterrupted viewing is more important to us.
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

We use computer SOS and the swiss TV company. No freezing or buffering at all. :D
All things are possible
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Used to have TV via Computer SOS and also adjusted the buffer setting, but Sheryll advised me to never have it above 5.

If you are in the Chloraka it's worth taking your Magbox to Computer SOS as they can plug it into their system and check it for you. Perhaps worth considering one of their packages as your contract is soon up for renewal.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

That seems a little heavy handed of 'S' locking mag boxes that people own..
Trev..
JimX

Post by JimX »

Lloyd yes I have always been aware of S locking the unit, although he says come the day he will unlock it for free, by then though I will probably buy a newer unit as this one is very old, and starting to get hard to start it up! Probably start afresh if all is well.

MAGs should be set to zero, if this needs any adjustment I would ask your provider first before making the changes, I have tried this many times and on my old MAG it made no difference at all for me.
Jim.