MAG subscriptions

Everything to do with I.T, T.V, and telephony.
malsue

Re: MAG subscriptions

Post by malsue »

I switched from NTV (after 3 & half years with them) to Simon 4 months ago, far better system, no problems so far and don't have to re boot Mag box or router!!!!!!

This is from post on PP regards system :-

http://www.paphospeople.com/ppforum/vie ... ive+to+NTV
Mal
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

geoffreys wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:03 pm
Jimgward wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:21 pm I currently pay €250 a year, on the recommendations of Jim from CL... used it for 2 years. Very pleased with services and 1000s of films.... catch-up is sometimes iffy, but otherwise quality is great.

Used NTV.mx prior to this, which was a bit more expensive but pretty much same service.

Now looking for a larger number of stations to include German TV and maybe Other European...

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Jim
Which provider do you use now?
Geoff.
Simon
geoffreys

Post by geoffreys »

Jimgward wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:34 pm
Jimgward wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:21 pm I currently pay €250 a year, on the recommendations of Jim from CL... used it for 2 years. Very pleased with services and 1000s of films.... catch-up is sometimes iffy, but otherwise quality is great.

Used NTV.mx prior to this, which was a bit more expensive but pretty much same service.

Now looking for a larger number of stations to include German TV and maybe Other European...

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Jim
Geoff.
Simon
Yes, but which IPTV provider does Simon sell on to you?
Geoff.
keving

Post by keving »

geoffreys wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:27 pm

Geoff.
Simon
Geoff.
How do you know that Simon is not an "IPTV provider" in his own right?

Who is your IPTV provider Geoff? How much do you pay per month? Would you recommend your service to members of Paphos Life?
merchant_banker

Post by merchant_banker »

keving wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:53 pm
Simon
Geoff.

Who is your IPTV provider Geoff? How much do you pay per month? Would you recommend your service to members of Paphos Life?
Both on here and on CL Simon was conspicous by his no response

I use NTV very happy with - but find it expensive
malsue

Post by malsue »

I also have http://www.triotechgroup.com/ with the latest Zoomtak, which does not require a subscription.

This system has two weeks catchup on popular UK channels.
Mal
geoffreys

Post by geoffreys »

keving wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:53 pm
Simon
Geoff.

I don't know on what basis this Simon operates, and clearly none of his customers know either or are keeping it secret for some reason.
My IPTV provider is NOW TV from SKY, my NOW TV box is sideloaded with "Filmon".
I would recommend NOW TV to anyone.
We pay (optional) £6.99 pcm for the Entertainment package.
Geoff.
Mrblobby

Post by Mrblobby »

I'm with Geoff , the Nowtv box is great and I would recommend it to anyone .

You get a menu system similar to a mag box at a fraction of the cost , obviously not as many channels , but I don't need them .
keving

Post by keving »

Am I right in thinking that with a NowTV box, you have to subscribe to a VPN or smart DNS, and that if your router is locked (eg a Primetel router), you have to buy second router to be able to subscribe to a VPN/Smart DNS.
geoffreys

Post by geoffreys »

keving wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:04 pm Am I right in thinking that with a NowTV box, you have to subscribe to a VPN or smart DNS, and that if your router is locked (eg a Primetel router), you have to buy second router to be able to subscribe to a VPN/Smart DNS.
Correct. I use a Linksys 54GL router (as the secondary router) flashed with DDWRT firmware and programmed with an "open" VPN
from www.my-private-network.co.uk
The VPN is £47 Per Annum.
NOW TV is free, although for the first month you have to buy any of their passes to be able to activate it, although if
you buy the box from one of the many UK retailers selling them (e.g. Argos) they usually come with a pass included.
Once activated you don't need to renew the pass and you still get all the basic UK TV channels for free.
The passes available are SKY Sports, Entertainment, SKY Cinema. Sports pass for 1 week or 1 day are available, or 1 month
like the other 2 passes.
We have had the NOW TV box for over 2 years now, although we also tried NTV and a MAG box (didn't like them).
I recently side-loaded the NOW TV box with "Filmon" giving 85 channels free also.
The NOW TV service (like the old SKY satellite service) is UK only, so you have to get it sent out, and you need a UK address
and plastic to set it up.
Requires 4 Mb broadband.
You can read all about NOW TV on their website: www.nowtv.com
Geoff.
Last edited by geoffreys on Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
keving

Post by keving »

geoffreys wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:36 pm
keving wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:04 pm Am I right in thinking that with a NowTV box, you have to subscribe to a VPN or smart DNS, and that if your router is locked (eg a Primetel router), you have to buy second router to be able to subscribe to a VPN/Smart DNS.
Correct. I use a Linksys 54GL router (as the secondary router) flashed with DDWRT and programmed with an "open" VPN
from www.my-private-network.co.uk
The VPN is £47 Per Annum.
NOW TV is free, although for the first month you have to buy any of their passes to be able to activate it, although if
you buy the box from one of the many UK retailers selling them (e.g. Argos) they usually come with a pass included.
Once activated you don't need to renew the pass and you still get all the basic UK TV channels for free.
The passes available are SKY Sports, Entertainment, SKY Cinema. Sports pass for 1 week or 1 day are available, or 1 month
like the other 2 passes.
We have had the NOW TV box for over 2 years now, although we also tried NTV and a MAG box (didn't like them).
I recently side-loaded the NOW TV box with "Filmon" giving 85 channels free also.
The NOW TV service (like the old SKY satellite service) is UK only, so you have to get it sent out, and you need a UK address
and plastic to set it up.
Requires 4 Mb broadband.
You can read all about NOW TV on their website: www.nowtv.com
Geoff.
I do have a NowTV box in the UK, bought very cheaply with an entertainment package for Christmas 2015. Now I just use it when I buy a sports pass (I dont have a sky subscription).

I'm loath to bring it out to Cyprus for use there because of all the messing about that you describe.

This brings me on to my next question: with the Triotech Clearstream Zoomtax boxes, which are subscription free - do you need to subscribe to a VPN or Smart DNS to get them live/on catch up?
geoffreys

Post by geoffreys »

For Keving:
You don't need any SKY subscription to use the NOW TV Box, once you have activated it (= created your account), unless you
wish to do so (e.g. like you sometimes buy the Sports Pass).
Actually to use the box here is not difficult at all to set up, e.g. the VPN from My Private Network comes by download from
them to you router and/or PC as does how to flash the router with DDWRT.
Sideloading Filmon is also easy (I can tell you how to find out if you PM me).
Regards your other question - sorry I cannot help you, I have no idea.
Regards,
Geoff.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

The subscription through Simon, we don't know who the provider is.... he installs special reconfiguration using a USB key, then configures a portal and this uses the service. I believe it "may" be Greek or Cypriot based, as the thousands of films have optional subtitles in Greek and some films are in Greek only.

Other than that, as Lloyd said, the system is very, very reliable, quality is excellent, catch-up on many channels and mostly works. Only downside is you cannot record. That has been disabled. I believe that is part of the configuration done by Simon. Apparently as some subscribers were rebroadcasting streams at one time.
keving

Post by keving »

Jimgward wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:11 am The subscription through Simon, we don't know who the provider is.... he installs special reconfiguration using a USB key, then configures a portal and this uses the service. I believe it "may" be Greek or Cypriot based, as the thousands of films have optional subtitles in Greek and some films are in Greek only.

Other than that, as Lloyd said, the system is very, very reliable, quality is excellent, catch-up on many channels and mostly works. Only downside is you cannot record. That has been disabled. I believe that is part of the configuration done by Simon. Apparently as some subscribers were rebroadcasting streams at one time.
Jim, if you ever wanted to change to another provider, 360 for example, how easy would it be for you? Does Simon's "reconfiguration" prevent you changing easily to another provider?

I'm still not sure why there has to be a "reconfiguration" or "programming" of a mag box when all other IPTV providers simply provide the user with a URL which is very easy to enter into the box using their step by step instructions. Takes 30 seconds maximum, you can't go wrong.
keving

Post by keving »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:34 am
Jimgward wrote:I believe it "may" be Greek or Cypriot based, as the thousands of films have optional subtitles in Greek and some films are in Greek only.
On my set-up, some channels (and movies) are available in Greek, Turkish and German. Though I believe that there is an agent in Cyprus, Simon told me that the ultimate provider is in Belgium. Frankly I care not where the service comes from: I pay Simon for a service, he delivers, we enjoy: I ask no more than that :D
I'm with you on that one Lloyd. I dont want to "side load" into a NowTV box, buy a second router, "flash" it (whatever that means) and pay a DNS subscription. I looked at the Triotech website and quite frankly the information on it worried me in respect that it didn't answer my simple questions.

In particular, what concerned me was the response in respect to a question regarding buffering and freezing ... " well, you are receiving a free service which adds to demand at peak times .."

I am very happy who I am now with and to maintain quality of service for existing users my lips are sealed as to who I am with :-)
aphrodite

Post by aphrodite »

Deleted!
Last edited by aphrodite on Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
geoffreys

Post by geoffreys »

For Keving:
You say "...to maintain the quality of service for existing users my lips are sealed as to who I am with"
1. Hypocritical after you asked me to say who I was with and what I pay - I answered you in some detail
2. You clearly do not subscribe to the concept of this and other forums of helping each other out.

Very disappointing.
Geoff.
keving

Post by keving »

geoffreys wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:01 am For Keving:
You say "...to maintain the quality of service for existing users my lips are sealed as to who I am with"
1. Hypocritical after you asked me to say who I was with and what I pay - I answered you in some detail
2. You clearly do not subscribe to the concept of this and other forums of helping each other out.

Very disappointing.
Geoff.
Geoff, you clearly are a man who speaks before he thinks and you have no sense of humour ....

Look at the opening post on this thread. Who is the only person who has attempted to answer the very specific question posed by the OP (foreign channels)?

Now look at the second post on this thread ...
geoffreys

Post by geoffreys »

keving wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:25 pm
geoffreys wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:01 am For Keving:

Very disappointing.
Geoff.
Geoff, you clearly are a man who speaks before he thinks and you have no sense of humour ....

Look at the opening post on this thread. Who is the only person who has attempted to answer the very specific question posed by the OP (foreign channels)?

Now look at the second post on this thread ...
Humour Eh??
Got me there buddy.
Have a nicer day
Geoff.
vic 1

Post by vic 1 »

right here's one for all the experts got the mag 250
cant get live tv can get catch up and films I'm in the uk at the moment it was working
ok live tv went of December 10 I'm with virgin media on 50mgb
tried on my brothers sky broadband still the same so that cancels out being blocked

also a friend of mine has the same box and same provider and is with sky broadband
and running ok so the question is it the box or the provider in cy

I'm not with simon or computer sos tried all I no any ideas
Vic