Mag box problems

Everything to do with I.T, T.V, and telephony.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Re: Mag box problems

Post by Devil »

Yes, for some time, I have had glitching round about the times you mentioned. I have had several communications with the supplier and it seems reasonably clear that it is beyond his control. On occasion, the problem is so bad that it is impossible to watch! He has two sources and both of them do it, one much worse than the other. At the moment, I have the choice of both links and, if one of them is bad, the other might be okay (no guarantee).

The supplier that I use monitors this forum and he may respond to your message. If not, send him a PM or an email.

I agree that it can be very, very frustrating!
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

We only have odd problems with the 'Discovery' channels. But we don't have the problem you mention and at those times.. I hope it gets sorted soon for you. But what has your supplier said about this ??
Trev..
Varky

Post by Varky »

I raised this problem with the company that provided my box and service. The man in the shop also was having the same problem. He said it was an internet problem and he advised to switch off the internet supply for at least 10 minutes before reconnecting as it was a connection problem with the internet supply in Nicosia. My wi-fi connection to my laptop was also affected.

I tried this remedy a couple of days ago and it seems to have worked. Having said that, Sod's Law will make the problem return.
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Like Trev we have had no problems with WIFI* or the Magbox. However on one occasion whilst watching a catch up the speaking for a while was out of sink and we had a bit of double picture on the screen. Apart from that all is OK.
All things are possible
jandk

Post by jandk »

Seems to be a problem at this time of year. Wait until the kids are back at school and the holiday makers go home and then normal service should be resumed. It is all to do with then internet service on the island to be insufficient for the demand.
JimX

Post by JimX »

Not the MAG that is the problem but the amount of streaming users online at that time, soap programs mainly due to the mass use at the moment due to holidaymakers using the service in rentals, CYTA seems it cannot handle so many at the same time even with 20MB as many of us have now, I will, of course try Lloyds fix and others here, but doing the usual power down then back on did not work for me. It seems OK with video services so this is where we go when this happens, "catch up TV" is also affected at certain times in the evenings, for me about 9 pm onwards.

I will check with my providers later, I'm sure they will say the same, it is not just the one server, just for information, both my servers have the same problem at the same time and why I suspect the Internet provider.

I think jandk above is correct.
Jim.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

And yet some of us Mag Box users do not have these problems at night, and our original source for internet is CYTA the same as everyone
Trev..
JimX

Post by JimX »

Morning Trev.

I think it is most of us, as CYTA supply all service providers on the Island even though there are other suppliers, I suspect depending on where you live of course is the problem, so many MAGs now in use especially at Soap Time, the answer? I hope when many go back should release more Internet speed and stability, we hope for the majority who are suffering from this problem.

I will try to get some answers later from my two suppliers, but I suspect the answer has already been posted.

Lloyd, remember we use the same Mag service provider.
Jim.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

But as I posted... I don't have any problems with the Mag box ..
Trev..
JimX

Post by JimX »

Trev what are you trying to say because you are having no problems then we are all dreaming we have? above I mentioned depending on where you live, this relates to use of the Internet in your area, it looks as if those who are in a larger usage areas are the ones with this problem, all to do with Internet speed, all I can say is to you, you are a lucky man, obviously many of us DO have this problem.
Jim.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

JimX wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:48 am Trev what are you trying to say because you are having no problems then we are all dreaming we have? above I mentioned depending on where you live, this relates to use of the Internet in your area, it looks as if those who are in a larger usage areas are the ones with this problem, all to do with Internet speed, all I can say is to you, you are a lucky man, obviously many of us DO have this problem.
Jim.... In your own words from earlier in the thread......
" Not the MAG that is the problem but the amount of streaming users online at that time, soap programs mainly due to the mass use at the moment due to holidaymakers using the service in rentals, CYTA seems it cannot handle so many at the same time even with 20MB as many of us have now. "

If it is your 20mb CYTA internet that you are blaming, then why is my box perfectly alright with 7mb.
And all the internet coming onto the island comes from CYTA I believe, unless I am dreaming..
Trev..
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

HiC's solution would suggest it has nothing to do with internet speed and everything to do with your IP address. When you restart your Cyta router you will get a new IP address. They are dished out from a pool, and you get the next one available. Perhaps Trev turns his router off every night? He would effectively by employing HiC's solution by default then.

I will give it a whirl tonight when it happens. After all, there is nothing to lose. I ran the Cyta speed test last night at approx 10PM and it recorded 25mbs consistently.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
JimX

Post by JimX »

Morning boss.

Of course as posted most of us have tried this fix, for me it did nothing unfortunately, I have again in the last hour unplugged and powered down both the router and the MAG unit, problem is with the time the unit is in use, it is not at all times of the day, as you can see around 9pm, I think and believe it is Internet usage or over usage in some areas. No unplugging will fix that. :cry:

Just tested my speed via OOKLA and CYTA both read about the same 20mbps Ping around 20 or less, this is normal for me and at all times of the day.

Trev it is not just my problem but many users with Mags and other devices, it has to be Internet usage at certain times in the day, evenings around 9pm, as you can see it is not only me but also not the one MAG server as both mine do the same at the same time, so it has to be Internet related, again I feel it is due to the number of people using MAGs at that time of day, probably tourist as many rentals now use MAGs, when the tourist season ends I feel we will not have this problem, I will ask the expert's this morning they will have an answer hopefully, meanwhile Trev thank you lucky start you do not have this trouble.

Update just contacted one of my providers and from where he is at the moment he can only advise doing what Lloyd has done when the problem arises, but just to say I have done this on several occasions tried that fix and no joy so far. I will try again tonight if the problem starts again.
Last edited by JimX on Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

OK Jim.... It is internet related according to You .. My system uses the internet too but I have had no problems. How do you explain that.. ?????

By the way I don't turn my router off at all, it is on 24/7
Last edited by trevnhil on Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trev..
JimX

Post by JimX »

Trev how do I explain that, I already have, it is area related, you are in a less used Internet area of Paphos.

Austin who can answer that, god knows, the fact is many of us are suffering from the same problem at the same time of the day with live TV, perhaps the web browser uses less bandwidth?, as I just explained to one of my providers the Video channels (UK TV and US TV series) seem to work fine, when my live BBC TV started playing up at 9am I turned to "Get Shorty" worked without a hitch, it just seems live TV and catchup is having a problem.
Last edited by JimX on Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim.
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

I'me with Trev on this My router is on 24/7 and no probs. I live miles away from Tev. I am down in Chloraka. :mrgreen:
All things are possible
JimX

Post by JimX »

So none of us are having the same problems then Lincoln? miracles do happen :) I wish I was WITH Trev as you say then I would not be phoning the UK for advice from one of my providers, by the way, he did know of this TV outage at that time.
Jim.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Lincoln wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:35 am I'me with Trev on this My router is on 24/7 and no probs. I live miles away from Tev. I am down in Chloraka. :mrgreen:
You are just lucky Lincoln that Chloraka is much less populated than Tremithousa. ;-)
Trev..
JimX

Post by JimX »

:lol: yea sure...hopefully this will all get sorted eventually, I did see above one member who does not use a MAG but an Android streaming unit that he is having the same problem at the same time, so for certain it is internet related. You two are one of those not affected, but do not think for a second that those who are are not dreaming this problem, have a good one.

Now how do I increase my BB speed ;) ...
Jim.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

It has little to do with the broadband speed. It has everything to do with the link between the reseller and his supplier.