Mag box problems

Everything to do with I.T, T.V, and telephony.
Uncle D

Re: Mag box problems

Post by Uncle D »

If you do a speed test and it is low say 4mb then it is most probably the internet provider, if it is 6mb or above then its something else as what Devil suggests.
I no longer use Cyta and have been getting what I pay for, a regular 10mb upload and download.
David
Dishonesty is the second best policy
El tel

Post by El tel »

Is Digby from Holitec around , I am sure he could give us an answer.

Terry
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

It is the system that Digby recommends that is running just fine.. at least for me :-)
Trev..
holitec

Post by holitec »

These issues are sometimes a little difficult to troubleshoot. Sometimes, the issue is with the source stream provider, I am sure some suppliers use the same source stream. I personally have two portals on my box, with two different suppliers.

I have had issues with a channel on one feed, and switched to the other and it is fine - so I do not think bandwidth is such an issue as it was in the past. However, strange things can happen. For example, I was at a another house the other week, and they use the same supplier as myself, and sky sports golf kept freezing, so when I went home I watched the same channel and it was perfect, so that eliminates an issue with the supplier.

The only difference was they had 16MB CYTA connection, I have a wireless connection via fibre, but that is ultimately supplied by CYTA. Speedtests showed a steady 16MB, so why the freezing, plus they had a new 322 box and like the local cobbler, I have a clunky 254. I do know some data centre's where the suppliers locate the "relay" servers can get busy, this could explain some issues where popular channels are located at say data centre1, and the bandwidth maxes out, switching a channel that uses data centre2 it will be ok.

The issue can be a little difficult to track down.

Digby
JimX

Post by JimX »

Morning all.

Thank you Digby, but unfortunately we all use different suppliers of IPTV streaming, we cannot just change at a drop of a hat as we pay usually up front, I have used Digby in the past for a streaming supplier and his system did not have any problems, only the usual streaming stuff, and Trev you have said several times in this thread yours is fine, problem is many here are having troubles, so saying yours is fine is pointless sorry to say.

Last night (Friday) it seems was trouble free in this area, that is while I was watching from 9pm to 10pm, after that I went to my sack, I still feel it is a Cyta problem that is an area issue, and I hope this is sorted when the demand on the Internet they supply cools down. A bit like this heat we are all getting. :D

Devil, your theory on this is wrong, as I use two different and independent suppliers from different parts of this planet and both were playing up yesterday at similar times of the evening, not just the one supplier, so it is not respectfully I do not think it is a server issue.

Thursday evening while the problem was at it's worst for me I did two types of Broadband speed test, one that is on the MAG unit in the service section of your software, that said I was getting 5.2mbps that is very low for me, but doing an OOKLA speed test three times it read my normal BB speed from CYTA at Ping 23 speed my normal 20mbps with a nice steady power band line, and yes I even scratched my bald head. :roll:
Last edited by JimX on Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

If somebody says their's is fine it is far from pointless. If you are trying to diagnose a problem you cannot discount all data that disagrees with your own particular theory because if you do that you end up with a meaningless conclusion.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
JimX

Post by JimX »

Dominic, it is certainly pointless to keep saying that, as plainly many others are getting this problem, by saying mine is fine does not help those who are having troubles. Oh and good morning.

I am not just sitting on my remote control I am trying to diagnose this problem with those who actually offer this service, even phoning the UK to ask one of my suppliers, so I think I have a reasonable idea what might be going on, again if one supplier like Digby who Trev uses works and several other suppliers do not run properly then it can't be all of those suppliers who have a problem, it looks to be a Cyta issue, I hope it clears up soon as I think it will..by the way, my "systems were fine last night" :)
Last edited by JimX on Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Pointless to you maybe, but not to other people. Prior to Trev's last post, I was unaware he was using Digby's solution. That is new information.
JimX

Post by JimX »

Well, again I did know...I am good friends with Digby and Trev.

Off to the beach.
Jim.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Ah well there's your mistake. You've taken it to be a private conversation when it is in fact a discussion on an open forum.

I'm not actually being flippant, believe it or not. Assumption is the mother of all cockups, as they say.
holitec

Post by holitec »

I also had one customer who was having issues, they took their box to a friends house, and it was perfect. Both were using CYTA, both in the Polis area.

As I posted, to find where the issue seems to be difficult, as people using the same ISP get issues at different times, some no issues at all.

The only thing I can think of that could cause this could be the routing to the TV supplier. As we have multiple undersea fibres, it is possible some customers route through Athens, others route through Rome - perhaps one of those routes adds some extra latency into the system. I would doubt that cyta cabinets are overloaded with traffic, a few years ago probably, but unlikely today.

The only way to find this would be to run a tracert (on windows) or traceroute (Linux) to a server in northern Europe like 151.80.19.214 when you have issues, and pm me the results. Maybe we can find out is there is a consistent link, if I can get enough results in to compare the routing. It would be useful to know who the ISP is (cyta/primetel/mtn etc). The traceroute will also give latency between the different routers, so will show a poor link and where it is.

Unfortunately, if it is a routing issue it may be impossible to fix as you cannot force a particular route.

Digby
JimX

Post by JimX »

Dominic wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:45 am Ah well there's your mistake. You've taken it to be a private conversation when it is in fact a discussion on an open forum.

I'm not actually being flippant, believe it or not. Assumption is the mother of all cockups, as they say.

What are you on about Dominic?, I was just trying to help sort this problem many of us have or were having this week, I am NOT having any private discussions with anyone here I can assure you, above Digby has also posted what I have noticed, with some suppliers the MAGs are or were having loading problems, both of mine in fact have, but they use different IPTV suppliers, so with that in mind it seems to be a localised problem with the Internet server, usually or always CYTA. Maybe this is the source of the trouble, for sure I suspect it is, you believe whatever you wish.
Jim.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Telling people that their posts are pointless is not helping anybody. If you cannot grasp that concept there is no point continuing the discussion.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

I am watching a series via a Magbox 250 and CYTA (10Mpbs) called Harrow on Alibi which I view each week at on catch up at different time and on a different day to try and find out why that is THE ONLY PROGRAMME THAT BUFFERS. Happens about 4-6 times per episode. Otherwise no problems and there are several other CYTA users on my network list. I just forward the programme about 10-20 seconds and that solves the problem.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

I'd like to add in my two cents worth. I use Digby's services and am impressed at the way he tries to help out on problems. For ease of understanding, as he mentions, he has two sources which I shall simply name one and two. For a long time I had been on number 1 to my general satisfaction. A few months ago, I started being plagued by the dreaded glitching and Digby suggested I switched to number two and this was fine for about a month or so and then the glitching started again with a vengeance (impossible to watch the TV). This was particularly bad on BBC 4, which I look at a lot. Digby suggested I go back to number one again and this was fine except for some very short, minor glitches. At the moment, I have the choice of both one and two and number one seems to be behaving itself better. I'm hoping that Digby will allow me to keep both one and two available (number two is slightly more expensive!). I cannot say that the situation is resolved 100 percent and I am always on tenterhooks hoping that I don't get glitching.

I'm very pleased that Digby and his sidekick, Gwen, have always tried their best to keep me supplied with usable television.
Varky

Post by Varky »

Austin7, HiC, glad to have been of use. :lol: but don't blame me if it doesn't last.
Varky

Post by Varky »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:21 pm
Varky wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:09 pmAustin7, HiC, glad to have been of use.
You weren't, lol, it was my service provider, S, who instructed me by sms what to do. I then reported my success in my post 3.02am on 24th August; page 1 this thread.
And my original post was at 4.07pm on 23rd August.