Soundbars ...

Everything to do with I.T, T.V, and telephony.
MacManiac

Soundbars ...

Post by MacManiac »

My faithful Harmon Kardon soundsticks are finally beginning to struggle and it may be time to replace them. They are, after all, sixteen years old.

I would like to buy a soundbar for my Samsung 32” TV but can not afford to spend a great amount of money. I know posts like this elicit “You get what you pay for” responses but my wife would withdraw my privileges if I spent more than £200. I do not want little speakers delivering “surround sound”, with wires everywhere. I would be happy with a soundbar (and possibly a sub-woofer) only.

I was tempted by a Bose Solo 5 soundbar (despite its price) but reviews on Amazon are less than flattering. Logic suggests that a Samsung soundbar might be best to use with a Samsung TV, but I am open to opinions. I also know that sound is an individual matter but any help or advice would be appreciated.
Jimgym

Re: Soundbars ...

Post by Jimgym »

I have just bought one in USA, will find the details for you later. Good reviews and an excellent price, won't have it for a few weeks though.
vic 1

Post by vic 1 »

Hi don,t really think it matters to much if you buy the same make as the tv
I had a lg sound bar once crap is not the word
went out and got the best a bose who,s hand control lets you control tv/radio
just about anything.

Vic
JimX

Post by JimX »

This has been posted not so long ago, I have used several makes of sound bars all with subs, but the problem I found was the sound separation, too close, no matter what brand you chose, go for 2+1 system, then you can move your speakers at least a fair distance apart, certainly a better way than any soundbar I have used.

These are just a tad over your budget but they are worth it. The Sub with this system is excellent and not too overpowering just the right sound output. It is though very heavy, the man from UPS asked me for help to carry it into my home! :D

You can read the reviews here bottom of the page link , you can buy this system from Amazon De a lot cheaper €250 from Germany as I did.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edifier-S530D- ... und+System

My set up using this great system.
Attachments
20180821_152419 (600 x 337).jpg
20180821_152419 (600 x 337).jpg (32.28 KiB) Viewed 5467 times
for forum (600 x 490).jpg
for forum (600 x 490).jpg (53.64 KiB) Viewed 5470 times
Jim.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Interesting that SKY sell a sound bar to ‘equalise’ output as they know that sound levels vary enormously on programmes - the the bug-bear of my missus - we end up each holding a ‘doobery’ To control the sound, inevitably when music comes on in a programme, or speech is then too low, or adverts blast out...
JimX

Post by JimX »

Sound volume is a problem, we all age of course and our state of hearing does change as individuals, I include myself in this "pardon" so I bought a good make set of headphones (Sennheiser) that are Wi-Fi cordless, the sound is excellent and does not disturb other listeners nearby, easy to set up too.

Sennheiser are not a cheap brand but you can buy other makes for half the cost, I found these just the job for quiet passage's on your TV.
Attachments
download (263 x 300).jpg
download (263 x 300).jpg (10.29 KiB) Viewed 5291 times
Jim.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

We’ve bought a Samsung HWJ6500 for curved tv and it was $158 in USA.
MacManiac

Post by MacManiac »

Thanks to all who came up with suggestions. Our Harmon Kardon soundsticks are really on their last legs (the bass from the sub-woofer keeps dropping out) and so a decision may need to be made soon. We unplugged the system last night and listened via the TV’s internal speakers ... absolutely awful and tinny.
MacManiac

Post by MacManiac »

The end of this story is a little lame but, on following up a suggestion from a friend, I gave the connection between the sub-woofer and the television a squirt of Electrical Contact Cleaner and it has worked perfectly ever since. My darling wife is happy that she can enjoy the television again, and that I have not ravaged our bank account to buy a soundbar.
JimX

Post by JimX »

Whatever you chose to listen to your TV I have found the "Toslink" or Optical link to give much better sound and louder too, rather than HDMI cable or Phono, most TV equipment and audio system now come with this connection, way to go. Many use the TV headphone socket for external sound, best if you can avoid this, find another way.

Granville yaaaaawn!! :roll: Bose Rolls Royce of audio :lol:
Last edited by JimX on Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim.
JimX

Post by JimX »

I never buy cheap, never have regarding Hi-Fi been an audiophile for many many years spent an absolute fortune on decent British Hi-Fi still the best you can buy, :D
Jim.