Modems and Routers?

Everything to do with I.T, T.V, and telephony.
Cookie

Modems and Routers?

Post by Cookie »

This might be too general for you to answer with any degree of certainty but I was wondering about router setups in Cyprus. My wife and I are looking to retire to Paphos region (preference is for a village location rather than around Paphos itself) in the next 2 years so just trying to understand what I might need to do between now and then in preparation for the move. No doubt I'll have many more questions over the coming weeks/months (not just about tech stuff) and so hoping to tap into your experience and expertise :)

I currently have Sky Fibre (FTTC) here in the UK. I've replaced the Sky router with a Netgear R8000 running DD-WRT Kong mod through a BT OpenReach modem - so separate modem and router. I'll be running the usual stuff through the broadband connection (a mix of wired and wfi) - phones, tablets/laptops, probably a MAG box for TV, NAS etc + quite a bit of home automation stuff (Amazon Echos, lights, sockets etc). So will need something that allows a lot of concurrent connections to the router - my old Sky one only allowed 16 connections and kept falling over hence swapping it for the Netgear router. My questions are:
  • Generally, are the routers used in Cyprus a single combined modem/router or separates like I have?
  • If a single modem/router, can I attach my router to the modem/router and use that for wifi and to run VPN?
  • Could I replace the modem/router with my own combined unit? If you can, is this easy enough to do?
  • If separate modem & router, can I replace the provider router with my Netgear one connected to the provider's modem? I'm assuming I couldn't use the BT modem over there?
  • I know you have fibre connections there but what is the coverage like into the villages? Early days yet?
I know the answers might be "...it depends on who the provider is" but I am just wanting to try and understand what the options might be. I'm a great believer in research, research, research so any views, thoughts, recommendations will be of great value to me.

Cheers
JimX

Re: Modems and Routers?

Post by JimX »

Hello Cookie.

You have answered your own question, all of Cyprus Internet is provided by Cyta's Computer systems, even if there are other Internet providers, they all go through Cyta service one way or another , so you will need a Cyta Modem, you can get semi-decent speed to run Broadband, I get 20MB you could pay for a little more, I do wish you all the luck but do make sure your village you chose to live has the service, most do now. :)

PS , I do use a Netgear router as a band spreader to my other computers, but it still needs to go through my Cyta Modem.
Jim.
holitec

Re: Modems and Routers?

Post by holitec »

Hi Cookie,

You can use your router, either connected via the cyta/primetel router if you connect via landline. Most, if not all the cyta infrastructure if FTTC now, plus if you need more speed the new CYTA routers offer "bonding" where 2 lines can be used to double the speed. This is not available at all cabinets yet. You cannot replace the cyta/primetel router with the one you have, but just plug it into one of the lan ports.

The other option, especially if you are in a remote location is a wireless connection. Wireless differs in that you can connect the router you have direct to the receiver. Some wireless providers use a fibre connection and can offer good speeds - for example I have a rock steady 100Mbps at home, via a wireless link - however not many customers require much more than 15-20Mb.

Depending on where you are moving to it may also be possible to arrange for a direct fibre connection to the house. This connection requires a different router and the router only has one ethernet port, but it is a rather expensive option currently - but possible. You would then have the option of a 100MB or 1GB bearer and cost per MBit as required.

Regards

Digby