Best Free Antivirus

Everything to do with I.T, T.V, and telephony.
trevnhil

Re: Best Free Antivirus

Post by trevnhil »

Turned off, for now, to see how it goes.
Trev..
J B

Post by J B »

I now use U Block Origin - it seems a little more effective than ABP
Dominic wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:57 pm I would hardly call two banners plenty. If you disabled your adblocker you would also get a single google ad as well. It isn't much to ask, on the grand scale of things. Google ads don't generate much revenue, but they do generate a bit.
Sorry, are you saying that just by being 'on screen' that they generate you some revenue, or is it only if someone clicks on them?
J B
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

They have to be clicked for any noticeable revenue, but visibility also plays a roll. The more people who see an ad, the more attractive a site is to advertisers.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
JimX

Post by JimX »

Road Warrior wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:50 am Jim, just for my own interest, did you use the Avira removal tool or did you attempt removal through Control Panel/ Add Remove Programmes?
RW as I posted I have a paid for removal tool, it works well and worth the fee I paid for it, not only could it not remove Alvera neither could experts in SOS, it refused to be deleted or removed, that b****y Luke Filewaker just kept coming back.

YouTube has good advice and it seems there are many other users who have the same trouble with this particular AV, not just yours truly, my advice is pay for a good AV system as it could possible cost a lot less in the end, I am not saying all free AV are trouble but this one certainly was, and yes I have used several free AV systems in the past, but now I will only be using Kaspersky, €20 a year seems cheap to me, what do they say about a free lunch. :)

All working as it should now. thanks.
Jim.
JimX

Post by JimX »

The SOS did try the Alvera removal tool, alas it did not work, so had to have a full reinstall, it is not a bad idea to do this regularly, (as long as you back up those files) it does get rid of old junk files.

thanks
Jim.
Oxfordboy

Post by Oxfordboy »

Am I the only person who uses Microsoft Security Essentials (Win 7)?
Royle

Post by Royle »

Used avast for years with add blocker via firefox never had any issues i dont get pop ups
J B

Post by J B »

Oxfordboy wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:42 am Am I the only person who uses Microsoft Security Essentials (Win 7)?
:D

Not at all - plenty use it without any problems.
J B
JimX

Post by JimX »

Oxfordboy wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:42 am Am I the only person who uses Microsoft Security Essentials (Win 7)?
Windows 7? yes you probably are the one of the few. :) Problems free now at a small cost (Kaspersky), well worth it even for Win7. if supported of course.

Regarding a clean reinstall, we all should do this fairly regularly as it removes old discarded files not used, I have a "Click Free" one terabyte storage device, use this about once a fortnight to back up all three of my PC's including my Laptop, it is very easy to do.
Attachments
download.jpg
download.jpg (3.98 KiB) Viewed 5303 times
Jim.
Oxfordboy

Post by Oxfordboy »

Allesley wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:08 am
Windows 7? yes you probably are the one of the few. :) Problems free now at a small cost (Kaspersky), well worth it even for Win7. if supported of course.
I've actually never had any problems, so I'm happy to stick with MSE.
Andy01424

Post by Andy01424 »

Allesley wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:15 am RW, Yes, I did Utube this scanning file, all too late for me, also as posted I could not remove Alvira AV or Luke Filewalker, I had to have the PC clean reinstalled, I am sticking to Kaspersky in future it is reliable.(not expensive but not free either) 8-)

cheers, all the same.

Avoid Alvira.
Always best if you get a nasty ,clean install,its gone,not locked away,hence why people should always backup what you want to treasure......i use SpyBot defender, free version run it now and again,just dont install it if you have maleware bytes they clash
JimX

Post by JimX »

Andy good morning, and as I posted... I agree.
Jim.