Nord VPN

Everything to do with I.T, T.V, and telephony.
trevnhil

Nord VPN

Post by trevnhil »

Is anyone using Nord VPN and watching the iPlayers through it.?

And more importantly how easy is it to install ?
Trev..
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Nord VPN

Post by Dominic »

If anybody does want to sign up to Nord VPN, could they use our affiliate link pretty please?

https://go.nordvpn.net/aff_c?offer_id=1 ... url_id=263

Now, to answer your questions, if you use that link, and then click the HELP option, you will get a series of icons. Click on Getting Started, and you will see a list of Q and As. The 5th question down will have a link allowing you to get a free 3 day trial. I am sure if you take that option all your questions will be answered.

If you like them and decide to sign up, could you go back via the link? We will get a teeny commission then.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Thank you Dominic. I will have a look at it in the next day or two
Trev..
Oxfordboy

Post by Oxfordboy »

trevnhil wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 6:13 pm Is anyone using Nord VPN and watching the iPlayers through it.?

And more importantly how easy is it to install ?
Yes, I've been using it for a few years. No complaints - easy to install, easy to use, plenty of servers world-wide, dedicated app for Android (don't have i-anything so can't tell you about Apple), price includes up to 5 or 6 concurrent connections. I don't watch i-Player much, but it certainly works perfectly on the occasions I have.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Thanks for that reply, it helps. My wife wants a VPN for iPlayers and the current one (tunnelbear) is not working.
Trev..
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Just an update on Nord VPN.. My wife signed up for the 3 day free trial this morning. Sadly it will not work for us.. Only twice out of about 12 tries could we connect to the UK and the BBC iPlayer would not work.. So it seems it is a No No for us..
Trev..
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Did you try their customer services?
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Yes I did indeed, on chat.. But he assumed I could do this that and the other. He wanted me to organise a report and send it to him via email.. I had no idea what he was talking about. I just wanted something that downloaded, opened and worked...

So now we have Nord not working ie not connecting...... Tunnel bear not working ie connecting OK, but cannot use BBCiPlayer.... And also 'Beebs' in Google chrome does not allow BBCiPlayer for us either.

Just a bit cheesed off :-(
Trev..
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Who is your ISP?
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Hi Dominic. We are with the Holitec wireless service.

Hudswell, no I have not tried them... I will look later to see if they do a free trial. It is no good subscribing if it does not work for us.. :-(
Last edited by trevnhil on Wed May 23, 2018 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trev..
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

They are $5.99 a month if you pay for a year, otherwise $12.99 a month.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

trevnhil wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 5:13 pm Hi Dominic. We are with the Holitec wireless service.

Hudswell, no I have not tried them... I will look later to see if they do a free trial. It is no good subscribing it it does not work.. :-(
Talk to Digby. He may know if there is a VPN issue with his product.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

That is a good idea. It is not the cost that bothers us but the reliability..
Trev..
Mrblobby

Post by Mrblobby »

I use unlocator , never had a problem with any of the iPlayers , they offer a 7 day free trial .
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Thank you Mrblobby, we may give them a trial in a few days..
Trev..
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Hudswell wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 5:53 pm
Dominic wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 5:37 pm They are $5.99 a month if you pay for a year, otherwise $12.99 a month.
Is that Hotspot VPN? Just checked my subscription on ITunes and I pay £10.49 a year for the elite service.
Yes. Whether you get a cut down product or not I don't know. Anyway, given that they aren't affiliated with us I think I have said enough about them!
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I have downloaded Nord VPN to MY laptop this evening and can connect to the UK.. I can use the ITV player... The channel 4 player.. and the Quest player.... But NOT the BBC iPlayer. Very puzzling. ???
Trev..
Oxfordboy

Post by Oxfordboy »

I was feeling a little guilty as I did recommend it, so just as a test, I installed Nord on my wife's laptop, connected to the UK, installed Opera browser (just to be sure I had a clean cache), logged into bbc.co.uk and have managed to open the first two programs I tried (QI and A Very British Scandal for what it's worth). Here's what Nord recommended when I asked them about BBC connectivity problems:

BBC has an official policy to only offer their services to United Kingdom citizens who have paid a TV license fee. We do not endorse activities that directly violate their policies.

That being said, our users reported that BBC is currently accessible using our services on desktop and mobile devices while being connected to any of our UK servers.

If you are still unable to access it, please try to do the following:
Check if your location services are disabled; (GPS, etc.)
Clear your browser's cache completely (even if you tried before);
Disable CyberSec feature; (MacOS(OpenVPN)/Windows/Android NordVPN applications only)
Connect to any UK server.
Use the Incognito mode of your browser; (Optional)
If the issue persists, please try using a different browser.

Updated information regarding the workaround for BBC can be found at our knowledge base.

Channel 4 live have started to track the location settings on your computer in addition to the IP address.

The fix is quick and easy:
- set location in Control Panel/Regional Settings to the United Kingdom
- set time zone to GMT-0 (London, Dublin..)
- check if the clock shows the correct time for GMT-0
- restart the computer (this is significant for some reason)
We would also recommend that you go into the privacy settings on your browser and disable location tracking.
If all of this is too much trouble, don't worry you can also watch Channel 4 live at http://www.tvcatchup.com/channels

Lets us know how it goes.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Thank you Oxfordboy. I will print that out tomorrow. When I was on the chat with them they did say that their customers were able to watch the BBCiPlayer.

However... I have tried again with both laptops this evening and both are now connecting to the UK and are playing the BBCiplayer.

I will see how it goes in the morning around 6-30 which is when my wife wants to watch the programmes that were on tonight :-)

Thanks again..
Trev..
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I just wanted to post an update on this topic... We did try the free trial on Nord, but it was not 100% OK for us.
However as it is only my wife that need to watch the iPlayers for an hour or two in the early morning ie 6-15am then we have gone for one of the free ones via the Google store. The one that works for us at the moment is 'Browsec'

One think that I have found out though is that it slows down the system, and the mbps readings are quite low... I didn't realise this until told by a technician, and so we now turn off the VPN when it is not actually being used..
Trev..