need a IT guro

Everything to do with I.T, T.V, and telephony.
AFJ

need a IT guro

Post by AFJ »

Hi I just bought an Asus laptop , it only has 32gb !! I bought a external hard drive 1TG to go with it .
the windows updates need 8gb to run. I can't get it to update due to the lack of space on the original hard drive , how can I get round this , any help gratefully received . I'm a bit of a techno phobe .

Jenny
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: need a IT guro

Post by Dominic »

What is the model of the laptop?
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
AFJ

Post by AFJ »

Dom & RW
Model is Asus L403NA-GA013TS
I Have a Maxtor M3 portable hard drive and yes there is a card reader slot.

Jenny
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

That's weird. I cannot see RW's post, but he hasn't deleted it, as I would see the shadow copy.

If you put another microSD card in the spare slot, it will be treated as another drive.
AFJ

Post by AFJ »

Dom I read RW's post then it disappeared very strange !!

I will check out a card thanks

Jenny
J B

Post by J B »

There's a long discussion here ....

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/sho ... ?t=5762934

The best suggestion on there is to send it back :lol:
J B
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Nonsense. It's fine for basic work. If you get an extra 64 or 128gb micro sd card you will be fine. I wouldn't use it for video editing, but for surfing, watching stuff and wordprocessing etc, it will cope.
AFJ

Post by AFJ »

I have an external hard drive but can't get the windows updates to use it !! would a card be different ?

Jenny
J B

Post by J B »

AFJ wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:36 am I have an external hard drive but can't get the windows updates to use it !! would a card be different ?
Not certain, but I think so ...... did it mention that in the MSE link I quoted?

:)
J B
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

I'm fairly sure that Windoze updates will spit its dummy out at any form of removable storage media, be it an external USB HDD or a micro SDHC card...

It might be worth Jenny consulting with Computer SOS to see if they can replace the existing 32GB HDD with a new 2.5in 320GB hard drive. They will have the software to transfer the existing OS and user data / programs across to the new drive, which they will make bootable before the physical swap-out is done.

This shouldn't cost an arm and a leg, either! 6 months ago, I bought a brand new 320GB hdd in an external 2.5in USB enclosure for £25 on fleaBay, and that included free P&P!

AL :D
Gone but not forgotten...
J B

Post by J B »

PaphosAL wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:00 pm It might be worth Jenny consulting with Computer SOS to see if they can replace the existing 32GB HDD with a new 2.5in 320GB hard drive.
If it's the same machine as the one in the MSE discussion, then the HDD is somehow fixed and swapping isn't possible. Must be worth asking though!

:)
J B
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

We had an identical problem with a media PC, and the extra microSD card worked like a charm. And there is no way in heck you can swap a microSD hard disk for a 2.5" drive. The 2.5" drive is physically much, much bigger. Where would you put it?
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

Dom and JB- are we saying that Jenny's Asus 14" laptop does NOT have an inbuilt 2.5in 32GB hard drive with OS installed and bootable?

If so, in the words of Victor Meldrew, "I cannot believe it!"

@Jenny: Please tell us exactly what OS is installed to your Asus laptop, please, pretty pleeze...
Start > Control Panel > System Information

AL :)

ps: Oh dear... Further bing searches on this Asus model number suggest that it's NOT a full blown laptop with internal HDD, but a Netbook with 32GB of (slow) storage embedded on the motherboard... I would still be inclined to ask Computer SOS for advice, Jenny, as the machine and ancilliary kit you've bought is for a schoolkid, storing their photos and muzak...
Gone but not forgotten...
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Al, stop pestering the lady. You aren't exactly helping her situation. :lol:

There is nothing wrong with low spec laptops, they serve a niche like any other computer. What they lack in oomph, they make up for in battery life. For some purposes, they are much better suited than a full spec top of the range laptop.

It's like when you buy a camera though. You have to buy a separate micro SD for that. The same is true for this sort of PC. They have the minimum required to function, and you can then add what you need. We added a second 128gb microSD to our box. Windows updated without a hitch then. Computer SOS will certainly have microSD cards, and will be able to ask for advice on the best type to buy. Just don't ask them to install a 2.5" drive.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Only a few months ago my wife bought a low spec Laptop. Actually a HP Stream . But it has so little space that when windows 10 is installed almost nothing else will run on it.
My wife was told to 'Bin it' next time she has problems with it.
So we now have an almost new laptop just sat on a shelf :evil: :evil:
Trev..
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

So put another microSD disk in it then. If our little box can take two of them, I am sure your wife's machine can too.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Thanks for the advice Dominic. I will look into this, as it is strange the computer shop didn't mention this..
Are these discs available locally ie Paphos area? And is it a disc.... or a card ?
Trev..
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

The one we needed was the same size as the microSD cards you can put in phones and tablets. If you post the exact make and model I can check what your's could take.

What was the intended use of the computer, anyway?

This thread would suggest you can add another microSD disk:

http://www.tomsguide.com/forum/id-24203 ... grade.html

As to where you could buy them, I would imagine any computer or phone shop would have them. Computer SOS certainly would.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

This is what my wife bought from Amazon...
HP Stream 14-ax000na 14-inch HD Laptop (Aqua Blue) - (Intel Celeron N3060, 4GB RAM, 32GB eMMC, 1TB OneDrive and Office 365, 1 Year Subscription Included, Intel HD Graphics, Windows 10)

The intended use was mainly to watch TV via the iPlayers. The internet generally and face book. But very little else.

But it seems that with windows 10 and maybe a Google Chrome browser that there is not enough left to use it as she wants... :-(
Trev..
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

We were able to update ours just by using a micro SD drive. This was about a year ago. Mind you, it wasn't an Asus.