Internet provider

Everything to do with I.T, T.V, and telephony.
cyprussam

Internet provider

Post by cyprussam »

I did ask this on the old forum, but need to get it sorted really ready for my next visit in march ...

I currently use holitex and guys before suggested bluenet or netcom

Don't want a phone line
need to switch on and off as i want
i come to Tala about 4 times a year
dont watch tv much but would maybe considder - we use filmon on laptop or tablet if needed

who is best?

sam
cyprussam

Re: Internet provider

Post by cyprussam »

thanks rw but need to switch off for more than 6 months - only come 4/5 times a year for 1/2 weeks
Lofos-5

Post by Lofos-5 »

Why not sticking with Holitec? They provide what you require. We are in a similar position to you and do the same and are happy with the arrangement. A.
cyprussam

Post by cyprussam »

i find them unreliable
mdean2805

Post by mdean2805 »

I moved from Holitec to BluNet a couple of years ago. The service has always been reliable with less problems than I was having and cheaper. On one occasion I had problems and it was sorted out very quickly. The switch on and off works well and all I do is send an email each time. You get an email to remind you when you need to top up. Overall happy with service with very little downtime. I do not think it is quite as cost effective or efficient as CYTA or PrimeTel if you are in Cyprus all the time. But for a switch on and off service it works well.

Mike
cyprussam

Post by cyprussam »

thanx mike

anyone used netcom?
biGGaz

Post by biGGaz »

cyprussam wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:54 am thanx mike

anyone used netcom?
Have used Netcom for two years now, generally a good reliable service at €34 pm for 6mb speed, doubles later in evening and overnight. I just top up my account from time to time by transfer into their bank account. Can switch on/off at any time by email notice.You may need to tell them your location first to see if you are in a decent reception area, I'm in Lower Peyia, I also use a Mag 254 without problems.

Gaz
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.
OhSusana

Post by OhSusana »

cyprussam wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:08 pm I did ask this on the old forum, but need to get it sorted really ready for my next visit in march ...

I currently use holitex and guys before suggested bluenet or netcom

Don't want a phone line
need to switch on and off as i want
i come to Tala about 4 times a year
dont watch tv much but would maybe considder - we use filmon on laptop or tablet if needed

who is best?

sam
Please let me know what you decide upon.
I'm looking at Bluenet probably. You can just pay for 1 or 3 months, as you wish; so I understand.....
Oxfordboy

Post by Oxfordboy »

I work from home and used MTN's Broadband-In-A-Box 4G LTE solution while I was waiting for CYTA to connect my home internet, and very good it was too. I bought the wifi router outright (and coincidentally, I am selling it as it's surplus to requirements now), and you can buy data bundles in three tiers depending on your needs, on a monthly basis without a contract. Feel free to PM me if you''d like more info or are interested in the router (but that wasn't the primary reason for my reply!!)
cyprussam

Post by cyprussam »

i think i will go with netcomm
they have special offer on now
OhSusana

Post by OhSusana »

cyprussam wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:03 am i think i will go with netcomm
they have special offer on now
Uh huh... I don't see anything on their website to say that you can switch it on or off when you are away.
I use the place more as a holiday home, in and out for a month or three. So not having to pay continuously would be an advantage for me.
Or if friends visit, and I'm away, I could just switch it on. (mdean post above)
The special offer only seems to apply if you already have equipment installed.
It will be interesting to see how you get on.
cyprussam

Post by cyprussam »

bigaz say before they do switch on an off

i have equipment so i will see what they say
biGGaz

Post by biGGaz »

cyprussam wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:01 pm bigaz say before they do switch on an off

i have equipment so i will see what they say

Yes, just email them the switch on/off dates, no problem for them. Any days left in the 'kitty' are just carried over.

Gaz
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.
Rimmington

Post by Rimmington »

I am also looking for Wi-Fi internet for my property in Anarita, I have no landline, seem to be able to get Citycell, has anyone used them, its possible just to pay as you use it per month, just wondered what the signal and service is like.
merchant_banker

Post by merchant_banker »

Rimmington wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:48 pm I am also looking for Wi-Fi internet for my property in Anarita, I have no landline, seem to be able to get Citycell, has anyone used them, its possible just to pay as you use it per month, just wondered what the signal and service is like.
Why not contact CityCell and ask them?
OhSusana

Post by OhSusana »

merchant_banker wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:37 am
Why not contact CityCell and ask them?
Rather like asking a banker which bank he thinks is best?! :D Independent opinion is always useful, me thinks.
Rimmington

Post by Rimmington »

Totally agree, yes I was looking for an independent opinion of CityCell service.
cyprusgrump

Post by cyprusgrump »

Rimmington wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:08 pm Totally agree, yes I was looking for an independent opinion of CityCell service.
I haven't used them for years... and people I know haven't used them for years either.

But back then I think we'd collectively say that if you wanted to be treated with utter contempt by your ISP then CityCell would be the company to go to!
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Another advantage of Cyta is you get access to all their wifi spots for free as well. It works too, as I just used it today while at the stadium.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
cyprusgrump

Post by cyprusgrump »

Dominic wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:02 pm Another advantage of Cyta is you get access to all their wifi spots for free as well. It works too, as I just used it today while at the stadium.
Do you have the 3M upload upgrade...?