The mag 256 box

Everything to do with I.T, T.V, and telephony.
gobold

The mag 256 box

Post by gobold »

On the old forum I mentioned that I was getting the new Mag 256 box in January and I'd post a update

Well! Got it, installed and very impressed. Picture quality much better than my old 254 box. I use Ntv and the hd Chanells are much more like hd in the U.K. And I was using that yesterday! Will post more as I use it more bit first look is a vast improvement overall in the 254
Me, myself and I! Living it up in Cyprus
El tel

Re: The mag 256 box

Post by El tel »

Are you still limited to having to pay for your TV channels or can you download bolt on's like Kodi for example. Thanks.

terry
gobold

Post by gobold »

The mag box as far as I know doesn't work like that as I'm using it It needs to connect to a service, I think there are Tv services ones that don't cost but Not sure
El tel

Post by El tel »

Thankyou , it would appear to be the same as previous boxes , I am in Cyprus for up to three months a year and I am not sure whether providers will give you short term contracts for TV .

Terry
gobold

Post by gobold »

I use NTV and they do it month by month, i believe most will also do that. Also you can get internet monthly as well
vic 1

Post by vic 1 »

el tel think computer sos will do what you want
some one will come along with the answer shortly

Vic
El tel

Post by El tel »

Since the demise of Sky in Cyprus I have fiddled around with various android boxes and recently an Amazon Fire stick. All seem to have developed problems and are not particularly user friendly particularly for my wife.
The Mag boxes do appear to be easier to use but as stated earlier require a subscription which I am not averse to paying but need short term connections.
My internet connection is with Holitec which I am more than happy with so perhaps the first option is to check with them regarding TV options.

Terry
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

Using a Kodi media centre device or indeed via a laptop with Kodi installed, If you want sports channels the something like NTV.mx or Streamtvbox.club both do short term subscriptions, for example 30 days at a time for approx E15, go away come back and simply start a new sub. Been doing exactly that for over 4 years. There are of course free or no subscription add ons but they can be less than reliable for sports content. Unlimited Movie and TV programming just a matter of finding where to go for the best content much of which is absolutely faultless these days fro the "playlist" type add ons.
Visit the websites of the two subscription address I have posted to see what they have on their channel lists, and of course you can view them from anywhere in the world as long as you have an internet connection.
El tel

Post by El tel »

Bromerzz , thanks for the feedback , I will look into those options. :D

Terry
vic 1

Post by vic 1 »

el tel the best box for easy use for the wife is the mag 250/254 just the same
as having a tv remote back home your suppler can sort you out no problem and should
be your first port of call

Vic
El tel

Post by El tel »

Vic , Thankyou , it is steering me towards a Mag box and I suppose logically it would be best to buy the latest version. I notice the 256 on EBay is around £90 to £100 pounds. Now what shall I do with a draw full of androids. :-)

Terry
vic 1

Post by vic 1 »

el tel I did what you have done gone from android film on raspberry and now on the
mag box it really does not matter what one you go for they all do the same thing

and if you like you can take it back to the uk will work ok as long as you have the internet
think about saving a bit of cash and look at the 250 /254

now cheap on e bay it will do for what you want it for in cy
I'm running the 250 no problems might change up if and when it breaks have seen 256 in action
nothing to say must have does the same as 250/254 just a little faster that's all no big deal

Vic
El tel

Post by El tel »

Vic , that makes sense , I will only be using it for 3 months of the year in Cyprus and my tv is 10 years old and hardly cutting edge. Will probably go for the 254 but I have plenty of time to buy it as I am not coming out till May.

Terry
Mrblobby

Post by Mrblobby »

gobold wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:37 pm On the old forum I mentioned that I was getting the new Mag 256 box in January and I'd post a update

Well! Got it, installed and very impressed. Picture quality much better than my old 254 box. I use Ntv and the hd Chanells are much more like hd in the U.K. And I was using that yesterday! Will post more as I use it more bit first look is a vast improvement overall in the 254
Thanks for the report gobold , glad to hear the mag256 is living up to its promise .

I think NTV is the only provider that is putting out the quility service at the moment .

So if people are planing to use one of the other providers they might as well buy the older models .
gobold

Post by gobold »

El tel wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:20 am Vic , Thankyou , it is steering me towards a Mag box and I suppose logically it would be best to buy the latest version. I notice the 256 on EBay is around £90 to £100 pounds. Now what shall I do with a draw full of androids. :-)

Terry
Before you get 256 check the provider supports it, Its anew box so not may do yet
biGGaz

Post by biGGaz »

If you have or are considering getting a 4k tv then you might want to wait and get a Mag 352 :-http://www.infomir.eu/upload/pdf/Datash ... 352_EN.pdf available later this year. Of course your service provider would have to support 4k also, but could still use it for 4k You Tube video.

Gaz
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.
El tel

Post by El tel »

Thanks again for the feedback , one further question , what is the minimum download speed to operate a system like these. I am guessing you will need more than 6 mb broadband.

Terry
El tel

Post by El tel »

Thankyou again , I will be in touch in the future .

Terry
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I think it is reckoned that 4 mbps is just about sufficient. And I have successfully trialled a Mag box that works on less than 4 mbps with only marginal less picture quality

Trev..
Trev..
El tel

Post by El tel »

I am assuming from previous comments that not many providers at this time can offer a service for the Mag 256 . I am loathe to buy old technology that is the 250 and 254 models and wonder how long it will be before all providers can provide a service for the 256 ?

Terry