WIFI/PRINTER PROBLEM

Everything to do with I.T, T.V, and telephony.
aphrodite

WIFI/PRINTER PROBLEM

Post by aphrodite »

Last week I swapped out my router with CYTA for a new one. I’ve set it all up but I have a problem with my HP air printer. It has successfully set up on the new network ID and wifi. However, it will not print from my laptop (main) but also the printer does not appear in my iPad apps which it did previously. So,basically, I can't print anything from anywhere. I’ve searched google with the question and all I can find is what should happen once both devices are wifi connected which these are, but not what to do if the printer does not appear in the iPad apps (Excel for example). Is there something I am missing? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
trevnhil

Re: WIFI/PRINTER PROBLEM

Post by trevnhil »

Interested in the replies as my new laptop cannot see our printer..
Trev..
geoffreys

Post by geoffreys »

trevnhil wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:26 pm Interested in the replies as my new laptop cannot see our printer..
Any WiFi setup must have both/all devices using the same WiFi channel.
So could be a case of the printer not seeing the laptop.
If both devices are on different channels it will never work. But usually at least one device can "search" the channels to find the other one.
Without knowing the make/model of both/all devices not possible to comment further.
The user manuals should enable you to sort it out.
Geoff.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

My old laptop 'sees' the HP printer, but on my new Lenovo one it does not show up :-(
Trev..
surreyboy

Post by surreyboy »

Have you actually asked your laptop to add the new printer?
On Windows 7, this is done via Control Panel >Hardware and Sound >Devices and Printers >Add a printer.
I think Windows 10 is similar.
Hope this helps!
aphrodite

Post by aphrodite »

surreyboy wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:44 am Have you actually asked your laptop to add the new printer?
On Windows 7, this is done via Control Panel >Hardware and Sound >Devices and Printers >Add a printer.
I think Windows 10 is similar.
Hope this helps!
Firstly, thanks for your offer of help!
I had already added the printer as per your post. When I look in the option of 'what's printing' after going into the attached printer icon, there sits the document going nowhere. My printer is attached to network/wifi so I have to be missing something.

When I turned my iPad on this morning, the printer briefly popped up but when I tried to print, it disappeared. I'm mystified! X
surreyboy

Post by surreyboy »

Hmmmm!

Have a read of this article, it may offer some clues. Personally I'd try the 'turn everything off' route first.

http://helpdeskgeek.com/networking/how- ... -printers/
Oxfordboy

Post by Oxfordboy »

Depending on how the printer sets itself up initially, you may also want to look at the Printer Properties of the printer (on Win 7, right-click on the printer in "Devices and Printers" - be sure to choose Printer Properties rather than just "Properties") and look under the "Ports" tab to make sure the IP address is the same as the one your printer is now set to.
Andy01424

Post by Andy01424 »

try reinstalling software for the app for wifi printing,aslo ,did you press the WPS on conecting on Router,had the same problem when changed my router over
aphrodite

Post by aphrodite »

Oxfordboy wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:03 pm Depending on how the printer sets itself up initially, you may also want to look at the Printer Properties of the printer (on Win 7, right-click on the printer in "Devices and Printers" - be sure to choose Printer Properties rather than just "Properties") and look under the "Ports" tab to make sure the IP address is the same as the one your printer is now set to.
This is what I get on the ports tab printer properties (using win 10), no sign of an IP address ??
aphrodite

Post by aphrodite »

Andy01424 wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:38 pm try reinstalling software for the app for wifi printing,aslo ,did you press the WPS on conecting on Router,had the same problem when changed my router over
Press the WPS where? I obviously didn't! What do I need to do?
aphrodite

Post by aphrodite »

surreyboy wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:27 am Hmmmm!

Have a read of this article, it may offer some clues. Personally I'd try the 'turn everything off' route first.

http://helpdeskgeek.com/networking/how- ... -printers/
Thanks surreyboy. I followed the instructions. I turned everything off and shut down iPad and other devices. Powered up the router until fully loaded then switched on printer, followed by laptop followed by other devices. Nothing, zilch, nada. I am going CRAZY 😜
:D :D :D
aphrodite

Post by aphrodite »

This is what I get on the iPad

surreyboy

Post by surreyboy »

What a nightmare!
If you have a WPS button, it will probably be on the side of your router where all the connectors are, but i believe only the latest routers have this facility.
A couple of things you could try also;
Go into Control Panel and click Network and Internet. In Network and Sharing Centre click on View network computers and devices and see if it lists the printer. If it doesn't, try clicking on Add a wireless device. This may wake the printer up!
Also check in your security settings on the printer that printing from all users on the network is allowed.
Good luck!
Oxfordboy

Post by Oxfordboy »

aphrodite wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:52 pm
Oxfordboy wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:03 pm Depending on how the printer sets itself up initially, you may also want to look at the Printer Properties of the printer (on Win 7, right-click on the printer in "Devices and Printers" - be sure to choose Printer Properties rather than just "Properties") and look under the "Ports" tab to make sure the IP address is the same as the one your printer is now set to.
This is what I get on the ports tab printer properties (using win 10), no sign of an IP address ??
My printer setup is obviously different, but I just Googled WSD Ports, and if you look at the printer properties (the other one I said not to look at earlier!!), then evidently that will show the IP address it's configured for.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Well I sorted my problem thanks to the hints on here and on line.
I asked the laptop to find the printer.... No, not there. So I asked it to install a printer and put in the exact name from my other laptop.... It then looked for a driver, and Bingo I have wireless printing now :-)
Trev..
aphrodite

Post by aphrodite »

Oxfordboy wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:26 pm
My printer setup is obviously different, but I just Googled WSD Ports, and if you look at the printer properties (the other one I said not to look at earlier!!), then evidently that will show the IP address it's configured for.
OK, I found the IP address. It is different and has http:// in front of the IP that is there. However, although it says 'change settings' it does not allow me to. It also says 'This device is working properly'.

I'm at the stage where I no longer know what I'm doing, am I making things worse?

I guess I may need to go to SOS if I can't solve this, but it is the thought of hauling all this equipment along with me!

If only I could just get the ipad to recognise the printer, that would be OK.

Thanks all for trying to help XXX :D
surreyboy

Post by surreyboy »

Last ditch attempt; have a look at the side of your router and see if you can see a small hole with 'reset' written above it. If you have, find yourself a wire paperclip and unwind it so that you have a probe. With all items powered up, laptop, ipad, router and printer, insert the probe into the hole and push against the internal switch, holding for 5 seconds. The router should turn itself off and go into a reset procedure. The lights will flash and slowly illuminate, including the wifi light. Wait until all the lights have settled down making sure that the wifi light is green (if red, push the wifi switch). Once everything has settled, which could take a few minutes, try and print again.
If this doesn't work, then it's definitely SOS!
memory man

Post by memory man »

aphrodite wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:25 pm

I guess I may need to go to SOS if I can't solve this, but it is the thought of hauling all this equipment along with me!

Computer SOS do home visits too.
aphrodite

Post by aphrodite »

surreyboy wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:03 pm Last ditch attempt; have a look at the side of your router and see if you can see a small hole with 'reset' written above it. If you have, find yourself a wire paperclip and unwind it so that you have a probe. With all items powered up, laptop, ipad, router and printer, insert the probe into the hole and push against the internal switch, holding for 5 seconds. The router should turn itself off and go into a reset procedure. The lights will flash and slowly illuminate, including the wifi light. Wait until all the lights have settled down making sure that the wifi light is green (if red, push the wifi switch). Once everything has settled, which could take a few minutes, try and print again.
If this doesn't work, then it's definitely SOS!
Thanks surreyboy, I tried this and it worked, for a minute or two :-(
It is now printing from the laptop (at the moment) and the printer showed up on the ipad and I printed something from there, however, the printer has now disappeared from the ipad. Curiouser and curiouser. It seems to pick it up and then drop it again. Very odd, I'm sure there's an explanation.