Mag box issues

Everything to do with I.T, T.V, and telephony.
trevnhil

Re: Mag box issues

Post by trevnhil »

Our Mag box is far from trouble free. :-( We have freezing and sometimes a light blue band on the screen.
But we are glad to be able to watch UK programs
Trev..
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

From recent comments on Facebook it appears some people in Limassol and Paphos Districts are with CYTA and have been experiencing problems and as they are using different types of device to watch television it may not necessarily just be a Magbox problem.
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

We are using one of the latest android boxes, directly wired into the router with a supposed 80mbps contract from CYTA but have still been getting problems with occasional buffering and freezing over the last week or so.
El tel

Post by El tel »

I struggled last year with my state of the ark mag box which I believe is 8 years old. My TV supplier is recommending the 520 model but they are trialing the 522 model. The price of the 520 box on eBay is around £90 and a £100 for the 522. I am assuming that the newer the box the more reliable the connection will be . I will wait nearer the time to coming out to Cyprus before I make a purchase.

Terry
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

I do not believe that the problems people are seeing are due to the MAG box or necessarily to the supplier. I think it is much more likely that the supplier himself is lumbered with them. In other words, you have less choice as your supplier will probably be contracted to only two re-transmitters. This is assuming that your supplier has sufficient incoming and outgoing bandwidth to cope with the traffic in each direction, depending on this contract.

I surmise that the system may be overloaded at any place by an undue momentary demand, such as the Olympics of the NFL finals.
Big Al

Post by Big Al »

Hi Guyz
I recommend the use of the Nvidia shield, for all my friends & family who have iptv, it has the power to handle anything, and with our provider there is very very little buffering even on 4k tv
Al
J B

Post by J B »

Here in the UK, I have an Amazon Firestick which gets me all the catchup UK TV channels - it worked fine when we were last in Cyprus last November.
J B
El tel

Post by El tel »

Interesting your comments regarding the Amazon fire stick , I have friends who have a holiday home in Spain and they were saying how good the firestick was . I assume it’s more than just plugging it in ?
J B

Post by J B »

El tel wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:39 pm Interesting your comments regarding the Amazon fire stick , I have friends who have a holiday home in Spain and they were saying how good the firestick was . I assume it’s more than just plugging it in ?
Bought it a couple of years ago from UK Argos and plugged it in! :D
Think it was sun 40 quid
Can't actually whether I had to install BBC/ITV etc players but it wasn't much hassle.

The man in the pub tells me that he has one too and he subscribes to a streaming service whereby he gets all the 'pay TV' channels too ;)
J B
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

I am using fire sticks in the UK and more reliable than Mag boxes.

The problem with the MAG, you cannot run a VPN on them.

You can on FS and Android.
El tel

Post by El tel »

If you search “ using an Amazon fire stick outside the U.K. “ there is useful information including the use of VPN .

Terry
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

The use of VPNs will inevitably come in, Sky is moving rapidly to IPTV-only services, They need to protect that. It means banning access to media.

In the UK, we need VPNs now. Soon, you will in Cyprus.
Arrowhire

Post by Arrowhire »

Upgraded MAG box to 520 to hopefully eliminate issues we have been having with MAG 256 in that nearly every time we switch on a light or the fridge kicks in, the picture disappears for a second or 2. With the new MAG box the outage is now longer, up to 3/4 seconds and more regular. I also have a Firestick and with this I don't suffer any outage at all. Have had my electrics checked and all is well so have concluded it must be the box. I don't know what to do now.
Has anyone else had this issue?
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

In the Magbox settings it is possible to alter the buffer time which should alleviate the problem Arrowhire is experiencing.
We did alter it on our Magbox 256 but since purchasing the Magbox 422 have not had to alter any settings.
Arrowhire

Post by Arrowhire »

Hi
Tried Galexinda solution but no change. Still goes off for 2 or 3 seconds. Drives us crazy!
Rob
JimX

Post by JimX »

I run two independent Mag systems, one is prone to short outages the other not so much, it will help to un plug your Router and Mag unit for a short period of time, it usually clears problems, try it..

As for buffering Mags do not usually suffer from this, the interruptions I think is a Cyta problem that has been pointed out, mass usage of streaming TV can be a problem in some areas also..
Jim.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Jimgward wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:01 pm The use of VPNs will inevitably come in, Sky is moving rapidly to IPTV-only services, They need to protect that. It means banning access to media.

In the UK, we need VPNs now. Soon, you will in Cyprus.
Yes but the Mag services don't use Sky. They use mirrors. So any VPN will be needed at the MAG server end, rather than the end user.

I may be wrong but I assumed that's how it worked.

And using one in the UK is a bit naughty isn't it? Ok, it's naughty using one in Cyprus, but there is no alternative here. When you use one in the UK you have plenty of legitimate alternatives. For shame etc.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
J B

Post by J B »

Dominic wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:21 pm And using one in the UK is a bit naughty isn't it? Ok, it's naughty using one in Cyprus, but there is no alternative here. When you use one in the UK you have plenty of legitimate alternatives. For shame etc.
So, 'stealing' in Cyprus is OK because there is no alternative, whereas in the UK it isn't. Hmm :lol: ;)
J B
JimX

Post by JimX »

Correct James MAG are illegal but as Dom suggest there is not a lot LIVING here we can do, they have like Cyta never been perfect but we have no choice!!

You said it James. :lol: but beggars cannot be choosers.
Last edited by JimX on Tue May 23, 2023 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim.
JimX

Post by JimX »

MAGS rule... :lol:
Jim.