Norton Antivirus

Everything to do with I.T, T.V, and telephony.
Firefly

Norton Antivirus

Post by Firefly »

I have downloaded Norton today, but it keep coming up with the message that my computer isn't covered by antispyware. It then has a box that says 'fix it', so I click on the 'fix it' and then the message is that it's fixing it, next it comes up in red that it hasn't fixed it.

No further help as to what I do next, a search of the Norton Website doesn't help.

Please has anyone come across this, and if so, what do I do to protect my computer.

Thanks, Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
The Aquila

Re: Norton Antivirus

Post by The Aquila »

Personally I wouldn’t even consider Norton, I prefer to use Avast.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Webroot Secure Anywhere is possibly the best one but you have to pay a small amount per year.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

First of all, where did you download it from?

Secondly, you should see if there is an option to create a boot cd or usb stick. If so, do that, and boot from it. Your system will then get scanned more thoroughly.

I use Kaspersky, and you can make a boot cd with them. You should be able to with Norton as well.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

But as far as I know Malwarebytes (Premium) is switched on and checking all the time. It warns you immediately it anything is amiss. You can go into setting and look to see what it has found in previous months and it will show you the date and the time..
Trev..
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:48 am Apparently has not found anything in previous 6 months.
That, in itself, sounds mighty suspicious. :-(
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Thank you all so much for your replies.

R.W.

It did cross my mind that this might be a way of selling more to me.

I only use my laptop for Banking, shopping, social media and research. I have been considering buying a Chromebook, as I am finding that there are so many pitfalls for me with my laptop now. I understand that Chromebooks have a built in security system.

If anyone has any experience of Chromebooks as opposed to laptops, your comments would be very welcome.

Thanks again guys.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
J B

Post by J B »

Although there's mention of Linux and Chromebooks it's still MS Windows PC's that are in the majority.
I suspect that @Dominic could confirm the methods of access to this site as an example.

I use a W10 laptop and have used MS Windows for 20+ years. Some 'editions' are better than others.

I don't find the updates a big issue, just let it get on with things, although I do admit that sometimes these updates do rather annoyingly (but luckily only occasionally) tinker with the settings.

For my banking, I usually use my phone as I find it easier.

Anyway, Firefly, I suspect that you have paid for Norton, so, feel obliged to use it :oops:

Personally, I use Bitdefender *Free* as my AV as I find it less intrusive. I also have a copy of Malwarebytes somewhere but rarely use it as it never finds anything.

Many on the MSE Techie site suggest that the built in W10 AV (Defender) is adequate for most needs
J B
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

RW

Thank you for the information. Very helpful, it is obviously something to consider when buying a Chromebook.

JB

Yes, you're correct, I have bought it, so now I'm stuck with it for twelve months :( I did have Bitdefender, but the auto renew at £39 was over the top, and very complicated to cancel.

Thanks again.

Jackie
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I sometimes think we buy more than we need, and then just accept the renewal fee.
I have just unsubscribed from Avast Premium Security as they wanted 59-95 pounds to renew :-(
Trev..
J B

Post by J B »

trevnhil wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 2:08 pm I sometimes think we buy more than we need .................
Certainly, I've never paid for an AV and apart from a sub £5 MS Office program off ebay, everything else I have is also free (when buying a PC with Windows included)
J B
J B

Post by J B »

Just seen this, which thought was relevant ...

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/di ... pay-for-it
J B
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

J B

Yes very interesting, hard sell comes to mind.