Alpha Bank New On Line Security Requirements

Everything to do with I.T, T.V, and telephony.
Varky

Alpha Bank New On Line Security Requirements

Post by Varky »

Following EU directives, Alpha Bank is now requiring that you have on your mobile an app for 'push' notifications. I tried to download this app from the Google icon on the app page and got the message that my mobile will not accept the app. Will Alpha fund the purchase of a new mobile so that I can continue to pay my bills on-line.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Re: Alpha Bank New On Line Security Requirements

Post by Devil »

Varky wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:33 pm Following EU directives, Alpha Bank is now requiring that you have on your mobile an app for 'push' notifications. I tried to download this app from the Google icon on the app page and got the message that my mobile will not accept the app. Will Alpha fund the purchase of a new mobile so that I can continue to pay my bills on-line.
I tried that with the Bank of Cyprus; I can assure you it did not work. :twisted: :twisted:
Varky

Post by Varky »

Devil,

So what did you do? Did you have to buy a new Smartphone. Did you have to buy one of those expensive ones at around €1,000 or could you get away with something less expensive?
Galini

Post by Galini »

I do not do online banking from my phone, so does anyone on here know if it's possible to just use the app to obtain the code and then access the online banking on my laptop as normal?

thanks
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Varky wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:54 pm Devil,

So what did you do? Did you have to buy a new Smartphone. Did you have to buy one of those expensive ones at around €1,000 or could you get away with something less expensive?
No! Initially I bought one at, I think, EUR85, which worked fine as far as banking was concerned. It had a number of weaknesses for other apps but I managed to use it until the power connector irremediably broke. As it was out of guarantee, I upgraded to one at EUR250. I am too much of the Scotsman to buy one at exorbitant prices.
J B

Post by J B »

Although the title says Alpha Bank, Devil mentioned B of Cy so, excuse the thread drift!

I logged into my B o C account on my Windows PC earlier today and paid a bill quite easily - they sent an "OTP" text to my UK mobile phone and away we went.

Obviously, I have a very fancy phone (with the BoC app on) :lol: but a text is a text, simple as that.
J B