Best free Office download for windows 10

Everything to do with I.T, T.V, and telephony.
Uncle D

Re: Best free Office download for windows 10

Post by Uncle D »

Jim B wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:58 am I use MS 2003 which I bought off Microsoft and think it's still the best version they released. I've tried Libre on one of my other computers and found compatability problems with MS Word documents.

Jim
Hi Jim, do you run it with Windows 10?
David
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Uncle D wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:56 am
Jim B wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:58 am I use MS 2003 which I bought off Microsoft and think it's still the best version they released. I've tried Libre on one of my other computers and found compatability problems with MS Word documents.

Jim
Hi Jim, do you run it with Windows 10?
Hi Uncle D
Yes I do. I have pocket size Lenovo desktop that doesn't have a CD Drive so couldn't load MS Word off the disk so tried to use several of the alternatives. Problem was when I tried to open my MS Docs they weren't an exact copy especially if they included tables and it was taking a lot of time trying to correct them.

Jim
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

Loads of really good free options out there now and just as good as MS Office and some features are better - I have this on two of my laptops now and had no issues with it at all.

https://www.libreoffice.org/discover/libreoffice/
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

71 Trans Am wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:08 pm Loads of really good free options out there now and just as good as MS Office and some features are better - I have this on two of my laptops now and had no issues with it at all.

https://www.libreoffice.org/discover/libreoffice/
Likewise very happy with LibreOffice which was put on my computer recently after it had a major meltdown as part of a Windows upgrade rather than having to purchase a new computer.
- Certainly has a lot of extra features to my previous one but did take a little while to find out where all the relevant commands were listed, especially for spreadsheets.
- No problems with existing Microsoft documents or spreadsheets as such, apart from having to check tables fit in the printing area.
- Default setting (so far haven't found a way to change it) is for files to be saved as ODF which is OK until I try to forward anything, so I have to remember to save it in a Microsoft format.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Anything before the ribbon was good in my book.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
J B

Post by J B »

galexinda wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:02 pm - Default setting (so far haven't found a way to change it) is for files to be saved as ODF which is OK until I try to forward anything, so I have to remember to save it in a Microsoft format.
Click the gear icon in the upper right corner and click Options. In the resulting window, double-click Load/Save and then click General. Select Text Document from the Document Type drop-down and select Word 2007-2019 (*. docx) from the Always save as drop-down.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-save-li ... at-4684739
J B
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Thank you J B - successfully changed and thanks to your help I have managed to customise the system.

It really is a good free system.