Best free Office download for windows 10

Everything to do with I.T, T.V, and telephony.
Uncle D

Best free Office download for windows 10

Post by Uncle D »

What is the best free Office download for windows 10
Any suggestions
Thanks
David
galexinda

Re: Best free Office download for windows 10

Post by galexinda »

I have been using WPS Office for the past few months. Very similar to Microsoft and in fact I switch between the two.

https://www.wps.com/
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Being a lazy bugger, I take the easy way out and use the real McCoy.
J B

Post by J B »

Uncle D wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:42 am What is the best free Office download for windows 10
I assume you mean a word processing and spreadsheet system, do you?
(I guess that Microsoft probably have a patent on the word 'Office'!)

Open Office?
Libre Office?
WPS?

Personally, like Devil, I use the MS one. I bought a 5 user licence off eBay for under a tenner!
J B
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Last edited by Uncle D on Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:48 pm, edited 6 times in total.
David
josef k

Post by josef k »

I use Open Office. Looks very similar to Microsoft Office and as easy to use.
holitec

Post by holitec »

I have found libra office to have a slight edge over open office, just my preference probably.

Digby
Oxfordboy

Post by Oxfordboy »

Libre Office for me too, but Open Office is also good. Can't help but think that a 5 user license for MS Office for under a tenner is definitely bending, but probably breaking, quite a few bits of the Microsoft Office license agreement!
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

We pay for an annual 5 user license from Microsoft. Similarly we subscribe to Adobe and Kaspersky. I've written enough software myself to appreciate how annoying it is when somebody nicks a copy.

God knows what it must be like being a jobbing musician in this day and age.

In answer to the question, my linux box has WPS Office on it, and it does its job fine.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
J B

Post by J B »

Oxfordboy wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:13 pm Can't help but think that a 5 user license for MS Office for under a tenner is definitely bending, but probably breaking, quite a few bits of the Microsoft Office license agreement!
Well, It's registered to my MS account so if it wasn't 'legit' I'm sure they would have kicked it out by now.

https://ibb.co/y6KYPqm
J B
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

As it looks like Libre has the most vote I will go for that, we hardly use these applications nowadays, I dont see the point of paying on that basis.
Thanks
David
Varky

Post by Varky »

Just bought a new laptop and want to know if I can and how to move a legit copy of Microsoft Office 2016 from my old to new machine.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

I would recommend most definitely that you buy a five off system from eBay. What happens is that large companies have ginormous contracts with Microsoft on a variety of products. They may find that they have an excess hundred or so legit copies of Office and they put them onto a third party who flogs them at a ridiculously low price. My experience at buying this kind of software is positive. Over the years, I have bought Windows this way with never a problem. I currently have Windows 10 on six computers, all registered and above board.

Strangely, I pay the annual subscription to Microsoft for the office suite, although I use only Word, Excel, Publisher and one other whose name escapes me for the moment.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I think technically they are illegal. I know that M$ do occasionally do a splurge and invalidate blocks of serial numbers. There are just so many of them it isn't worth their time.

And really, who are you trying to kid, if you think it is legit?
J B

Post by J B »

Varky wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:37 pm Just bought a new laptop and want to know if I can and how to move a legit copy of Microsoft Office 2016 from my old to new machine.
Firstly, make sure you have the 'CD Key' (if that's the correct phrase?)
If you have the original disk, then it will be on there, alternatively, download https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/ (the free one is adequate) to find the key

I *think* you need to deregister Office from your old laptop - perhaps google it to check.

Then either D/L MSO from the MS website https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/off ... ce43f86479
or from your existing CD
J B
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Dominic wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:25 pm And really, who are you trying to kid, if you think it is legit?
I cannot quote chapter and verse, but I believe there was a lawsuit, possibly in Australia, whereby Microsoft lost. That having been said, I do not believe that there is any risk in using this potentially illegal software, bearing in mind that you still have to register it with them before you can use it. I think that if Microsoft allow it to be registered with them, then it would automatically become legitimate.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Devil wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:50 pm I think that if Microsoft allow it to be registered with them, then it would automatically become legitimate.
Why? If you can get away with lying, it is still a lie.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Dominic wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:08 pm
Devil wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:50 pm I think that if Microsoft allow it to be registered with them, then it would automatically become legitimate.
Why? If you can get away with lying, it is still a lie.
I think Microsoft would have a very hard time trying to prove that a "pirated" version of their software was illegitimate, when they upgrade it and update it, free of charge, at regular intervals! (Usually at an awkward moment!)
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I use MS 2003 which I bought off Microsoft and think it's still the best version they released. I've tried Libre on one of my other computers and found compatability problems with MS Word documents.

Jim
Varky

Post by Varky »

Varky wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:37 pm Just bought a new laptop and want to know if I can and how to move a legit copy of Microsoft Office 2016 from my old to new machine.
Just to update on my situation. Went into my Microsoft account from my new laptop and there was notification of my previous purchase of Microsoft Office 2016. Next to it was an 'install' button. Using this I waas able to download the programme onto my new laptop. Job Done.