VPN

Everything to do with I.T, T.V, and telephony.
DavidatLWH

VPN

Post by DavidatLWH »

For many years I've been using i-portal as my VPN. It has been fantastic. However, I received an email from them yesterday saying they were closing down at the end of June, so I need to find a new VPN.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm looking for recommendations where the VPN has been used for several years. Price isn't an issue (within reason).

Many thanks
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: VPN

Post by Dominic »

Please note that David is asking for personal recommendations. He is not asking for spam from companies. Feel free to recommend a company you have used, but don't tout for business.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
cyprusgrump

Post by cyprusgrump »

I use PureVPN

They have servers in Cyprus and just about everywhere else and were the cheapest when I joined.
Oxfordboy

Post by Oxfordboy »

I use NordVPN. Not sure if they're the cheapest, but have huge worldwide coverage and I haven't had any issues problems them
merchant_banker

Post by merchant_banker »

We use TellyPass - have tried many of these companies but TellyPass has been the best.
geoffreys

Post by geoffreys »

I have been using open VPN from MPN:
www.my-private-network.co.uk
for last 5 years.
Never any problem. Hong Kong based company with switched-on whizz kids running it, better brains than the broadcasters!
But they have the main hub in UK.
I pay £47.71 per annum by Paypal. Although you can pay month by month for a little more on total per annum, so you can
have a month, then nothing for say 3 months, etc. Useful if you have a holiday home.
Full details are on their website including technical advice.
I use a secondary router flashed with DDWRT firmware and programmed with MPN's VPN software.
So can run the TV box and PC thru it etc, very versatile.
Their helpline is brill in case you encounter any difficulties.
I have no connection with the Company other than as one of their customers.
They offer a free trial.
Cheers,
Geoff.
Last edited by geoffreys on Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
DavidatLWH

Post by DavidatLWH »

Many thank, fellow forum-users, and esp. Geoffreys for the detailed answer. Looks promising - the cost looks similar on an annual basis to iportal and the presence of a UK hub is very important.

D
geoffreys

Post by geoffreys »

DavidatLWH wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:52 pm Many thank, fellow forum-users, and esp. Geoffreys for the detailed answer. Looks promising - the cost looks similar on an annual basis to iportal and the presence of a UK hub is very important.

D
I have sent you more info by PM David,
Regards,
Geoff.
Spitimou

Post by Spitimou »

My Private Network gets my vote. We've used them for the past 5 years, their customer service is great and they even let us pay by cheque :roll:
Emilly1

Post by Emilly1 »

Being a backpacker, I have to visit different places for volunteering purposes. Some of these countries are less developed that have minimum resources. But there is one thing that I cannot live without, is my cell phone along with a good internet connection with all my apps working and no geo restrictions on the website.

The best way to decide on a new VPN is to research options on Reddit, and I have purchased my connection of Express VPN after reading this reviews site https://www.bestvpnprovider.com/

I would recommend you test a few services through their money back offers or free trials. Some options to start with are ExpressVPN ( a bit expensive, very fast), PureVPN (excellent prices, sometimes busy servers), IPVanish (good pricing, but USA based provider).
Emilly1

Post by Emilly1 »

I also don't blindly trust review websites. The best way to decide on a new VPN is to research options on Reddit and tech forums but here you will get good discounts on a yearly subscription that's why follow them.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

We have been using for a few years now 'Private Internet Access' a paid for VPN.
In recent days we have not been able to get the ITV hub to play... I inquired to the VPN supplier and received a reply that in effect they can do nothing, and that I should contact the company doing the blocking... ie ITV !!!

So as it is coming up for the time to renew my subscription, I think I will not be renewing.

Do any members have a recommended VPN that is currently allowing them to watch BBC player and the ITV hub. My wife is watching via a laptop running windows 7

Cheers. Trev..
Trev..
J B

Post by J B »

Trev

If you are watching via the laptop (I know nothing about Android boxes) you can download and use 'Epic Privacy Browser' https://www.epicbrowser.com/
It has it's own built in VPN where you can set your location to USA/Canada, UK, Germany, France, Netherlands, India and Singapore.

We used it to watch the BBC iPlayer when we were last in CY.

:)
J B
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Thanks JB I will check it out. I am currently trialing Tunnel Bear, which works and is quick at connecting the various TV channels

Trev..
Trev..
gerryg

Post by gerryg »

Hi Trev
For many years I have been using unotelly. It costs around £40 a year. For that you get a vpn (which I have never used) and the use of of dns . You change the dns in your wifes computer to the ones provided. You can also put the provided dns into a smart tv , an ipad etc. The site tells you how to do this.
The beauty of it is when your wife switches on her computer its ready to go. You can instantly access anything like itv player bbc player etc.in the same way that you could if you were in the UK.

Its probably faster than a vpn.

Over the years it has been pretty much trouble but whenever I have needed help unotelly have always been very good.

They offer a free trial so nothing much to lose.

Gerryg
gerryg

Post by gerryg »

Hi Trev

I am not sure if I made this clear. But when you switch on your computer, smart tv, ipad etc they are ready to go. No login or program start up is needed (apart from windows itself of course)

gerryg
gerryg

Post by gerryg »

Hi Trev
realised I made a error. first message should read "trouble free"

gerryg
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Thanks Gerry for your posts. I will look at all avenues .... when my wife is ready of course :-)

Trev..
Trev..
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Well we have looked at the options and for the moment my wife has chosen Tunnel-bear.
In fact we have it on free trial on both our laptops.. It was simple to download and install, and when the free amount runs out on my wife's laptop she will probably pay for a month, and if it is still OK at the end of that then a years subscription will not break the bank.
Trev..
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

We have now paid for Tunnel Bear VPN.. You are allowed to use it on 5 devices at the same time.

I had a question about it and emailed them, they replied well within 24 hrs with an appropriate answer.
All 5 catch ups work well on our laptops now..

And the cost is 59.88 dollars which is 46.28 UK pounds, or Roughly 53 euros.
Trev..