New iPad

Everything to do with I.T, T.V, and telephony.
MacManiac

New iPad

Post by MacManiac »

About eighteen months ago, through the good offices of a member of this forum, I bought an “as new” iPad to replace the iPad 2 I had bought in 2011. I have been delighted with it and, being the dutiful husband I am, I passed my old iPad 2 to my wife. She was delighted and loved it. But over the months she has cast loving and lustful eyes on my 1917 iPad. “It’s so light and powerful, and can do things my old, heavy iPad cannot.”

To cut a long story short we decided to buy a new iPad (the 2019 Generation 7 iPad) with the slightly larger screen and more memory. After research I decided to buy Online from an Apple Authorised Reseller on the island. The price €389 was better than Apple’s UK price. It came with a free leather case (which is very nice) and free delivery. I ordered it on Wednesday afternoon and it was delivered this morning.

I have to say I was very impressed. I’m not sure whether we can recommend businesses on the forum but I’m happy to share that information via PM. Of course if Dominic is happy for me to recommend the shop on the open forum, then I shall.
MacManiac

Re: New iPad

Post by MacManiac »

Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I was going to say you can publish the link but you already have done.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
MacManiac

Post by MacManiac »

Dominic wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 8:05 pm I was going to say you can publish the link but you already have done.
Sorry. That was meant to be a PM.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

No problem. :lol:
MacManiac

Post by MacManiac »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 12:48 am Thx Martin. OMG, so many variations on the iPad - which to choose? From what you've said I guess you went for the 7th GEN iPad? My wife would be the first to say that she just wants the most basic of models and will use it for internet browsing only and emails, so what you bought seems perfect for her too. Thanks again for the heads-up.
Yes it was the 7th Generation iPad. The surprising thing about it is that it is slightly heavier than the previous model I bought eighteen months ago. Of course the screen has increased in size from 9.7” to 10.2” so that must account for it.
Mrblobby

Post by Mrblobby »

The good old days . ;)
Attachments
C369E224-3B82-43EB-AFC9-9C0CE38B6DEB.jpeg
C369E224-3B82-43EB-AFC9-9C0CE38B6DEB.jpeg (188.23 KiB) Viewed 5684 times
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

I worked briefly at Seagate Technology plant in Scotland, repairing hard-drives in clean rooms. At the time, IBM were just launching the PC. So about 1981. You could buy it with a 10Mb (that's right) hard drive - when floppy drives - 5 1/4" were 490k (double-sided) I think. They had an upgrade to a 20Mb drive - which actually entailed just removing a screw that stopped the arm traversing the platters fully!

The drives were huge and heavy. Then a smaller 5 1/4" factor came out - 20Mb up to 60Mb. Revolutionary!

Standard memory in a PC was 512k - then 640k, but the memory about 512k couldn't be accessed for some years, except for drivers, if you used a 'hiload' program - which a PC manufacturer I worked for then wrote, to enable Ethernet to work on a PC - as otherwise it used so much memory, programs wouldn't run on a network. Networks from Novell, 3Com and others... OS2 from Digital - purchased by Microsoft to create NT....

Some days... I used Windows1 - then 2 - Windows 3 was revolutionary - to compete with the MAC....

Software from Wordstar.... Loads of companies that went by the wayside... Memories
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I think the floppies were either 360k or 1.2mb.

I remember Wordstar, Lotus 123 and dBase were the three killer apps. Jesus, you would have to install a printer driver for each program.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Dominic wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 6:19 pm I think the floppies were either 360k or 1.2mb.

I remember Wordstar, Lotus 123 and dBase were the three killer apps. Jesus, you would have to install a printer driver for each program.
Yes, you are correct. Floppies were 360k and 720k double-sided - turn it over! The new fangled 3 1/2" floppies were initially 400k and then 800k and then maybe 1.2Mb?

I remember installing windows 3 off about 6 floppies.... I also remember installing some programs off about 12 floppies.
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

Wasn't one of the Windows distribution installations from 34 floppy discs, that would be around 1994.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

3 1/2" disks were 720k or 1.44Mb.

The biggest install on floppies wasn't an OS, it was Microsoft Office.

I was that soldier.

In those days people called me a Computer Whizz-kid. It was a term I hated. My skills included being able to optimise memory better than the memory managers could, so that clipper compiled programs would co-exist with Windows 3.1 applications.

This skill set is now 100% redundant. When was the last time you had to edit config.sys or autoexec.bat?

But back in the day, you could use Norton Disk Edit to edit command.com. You could tell it to load a different file to autoexec.bat. This was extremely useful if you had an annoying colleague and you wanted to wind them up.

First, copy autoexec.bat to autowind.bat
Then edit autowind.bat to echo a message "User stupidity detected...press any key to confirm"
Hide that file
Modify command.com to load autowind.bat instead of autoexec.bat
Sit back and wait.

You could have more fun by making another backup of autoexec.bat, called autoexec.old. And then make autowind.bat copy autoexec.old on top of autoexec.bat. So every time the guy edits what he thinks is his autoexec file, then boots up again, it gets overwritten.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

I had a colleague who wrote a program that made certain characters in wordstar fall to the bottom of the screen.... in those days it was hilarious.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

I have just bought an Ipad gen 7 from Prisma.
It is a very good deal €20 cheaper than anywhere in Pafos with a free case.
The only gripe that I have they would only deliver to an ACS pick up point, now the nearest to me is Polis about 20 minutes drive, the next is on the Mesogi rd around 30 minutes but no it got sent to Chloraka on TOTK rd around 45 minutes.
I complained to the shop and they said it was ACS fault, on picking it up ACS said its the stores fault.
So if you order one tell them which ACS you want it delivered to.
But the wife is really happy so alls well that ends well.
David
Mirek

Post by Mirek »

MacManiac wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 1:44 pm About eighteen months ago, through the good offices of a member of this forum, I bought an “as new” iPad to replace the iPad 2 I had bought in 2011. I have been delighted with it and, being the dutiful husband I am, I passed my old iPad 2 to my wife. She was delighted and loved it. But over the months she has cast loving and lustful eyes on my 1917 iPad. “It’s so light and powerful, and can do things my old, heavy iPad cannot.”

To cut a long story short we decided to buy a new iPad (the 2019 Generation 7 iPad) with the slightly larger screen and more memory. After research I decided to buy Online from an Apple Authorised Reseller on the island. The price €389 was better than Apple’s UK price. It came with a free leather case (which is very nice) and free delivery. I ordered it on Wednesday afternoon and it was delivered this morning.

I have to say I was very impressed. I’m not sure whether we can recommend businesses on the forum but I’m happy to share that information via PM. Of course if Dominic is happy for me to recommend the shop on the open forum, then I shall.
I would blindfold your wife and get your iPad on Sothebies list as its probably worth a fortune

If its the one with the carrier pigeon attachment your talking big bucks