Windows Licence

Everything to do with I.T, T.V, and telephony.
Varky

Windows Licence

Post by Varky »

I am constantly getting a banner message telling me that my Windows licence is about to expire and directing me in the direction of 'Settings'to resolve the problem.on going to settings I am informed that this is done by the Administrator (which is me). my Windows 10 was upgraded on-line so I am at a loss as to what to do. Any advice?
J B

Re: Windows Licence

Post by J B »

Varky wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:51 pm I am constantly getting a banner message telling me that my Windows licence is about to expire and directing me in the direction of 'Settings' to resolve the problem.on going to settings I am informed that this is done by the Administrator (which is me). my Windows 10 was upgraded on-line so I am at a loss as to what to do. Any advice?
Could it be a fake message?
If you are suspicious, run Malwarebytes which can be downloaded from
https://malwarebytes-anti-malware.en.so ... DSK-1710.2

When did you upgrade to W10, because licenses don't actually 'expire'
J B
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Sounds like a scam. Malwarebytes and similar (free or low-cost) do not offer good protection against all types of malware/scams etc. For several years, I've been using Webroot Secure Anywhere, costing <$50/year for 3 computers or phones. It removes all malware of any type totally invisibly (scanning included). https://www.webroot.com/us/en/home/prod ... lpmechoose
Not All Virus Protection Is Created Equal: Why Free Isn't Better
As activities like shopping, banking, and financial planning continue to migrate to the web, cybersecurity stakes continue to rise. The features that help keep you safe - like password management, mobile security, and identity and privacy protection - aren't included in most free protection. When it comes to protecting you and your family's devices, you get what you pay for.
Varky

Post by Varky »

J B wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:19 pm
Varky wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:51 pm I am constantly getting a banner message telling me that my Windows licence is about to expire and directing me in the direction of 'Settings' to resolve the problem.on going to settings I am informed that this is done by the Administrator (which is me). my Windows 10 was upgraded on-line so I am at a loss as to what to do. Any advice?
Could it be a fake message?
If you are suspicious, run Malwarebytes which can be downloaded from
https://malwarebytes-anti-malware.en.so ... DSK-1710.2
When did you upgrade to W10, because licenses don't actually 'expire'
Downloaded and ran Malwarebytes which found several problems which it resolved but I still have the problem. For information I downloaded Windows 10 soon after it became available on-line much to my regret at the time because it caused many problems, which fortunately have been resolved in the course of time.
J B

Post by J B »

Varky wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:00 pm Downloaded and ran Malwarebytes which found several problems which it resolved but I still have the problem. For information I downloaded Windows 10 soon after it became available on-line much to my regret at the time because it caused many problems, which fortunately have been resolved in the course of time.
Next step then (maybe) is to download and run https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/
Just the free one will be fine
This will give you your windows product key which you ought to note down somewhere.

Then follow the prompts to go to settings to re-register your product key.
If that fails, you may have to go down the 'telephone registration' route which normally resolves issues like this.

Good luck .... :)
J B
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Good informative post..
Trev..