Cyta router and Mag 256 ...

Everything to do with I.T, T.V, and telephony.
MacManiac

Cyta router and Mag 256 ...

Post by MacManiac »

We increased our internet speed from 10 Mb to 20 Mb this week and consequently had to get a replacement router from Cyta. Once plugged in it offered 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz frequencies. A little research suggests that 5 GHz is better for streaming. Does anyone know whether Mag boxes (we have a 256) will work on 5 GHz? I am reluctant to fiddle about as everything seems to be working well but ... the grass is always greener.
Jimgward

Re: Cyta router and Mag 256 ...

Post by Jimgward »

Normally the wifi stick you plug into the USB port, works at both speeds.... if you're using inbuilt wifi as some mag boxes have.... I have heard it isn't as reliable...
MacManiac

Post by MacManiac »

Thanks for that. Our Mag 256 has built-in WiFi. Real first world problems ...
J B

Post by J B »

MacManiac wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:27 pm We increased our internet speed from 10 Mb to 20 Mb this week and consequently had to get a replacement router from Cyta. Once plugged in it offered 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz frequencies. A little research suggests that 5 GHz is better for streaming. Does anyone know whether Mag boxes (we have a 256) will work on 5 GHz? I am reluctant to fiddle about as everything seems to be working well but ... the grass is always greener.
I think that 'the man in the pub' told me that 2.4 travels further but 5 is faster - would that be right?
J B
MacManiac

Post by MacManiac »

That’s what “the man in the pub” told me, and that 5 GHz is better for streaming.
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

According to the 256s' specs on the Infomir website it can run with 5GHz and 2.4Ghz. A wired connection will always be better.
MacManiac

Post by MacManiac »

bromerzz wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:25 pm According to the 256s' specs on the Infomir website it can run with 5GHz and 2.4Ghz. A wired connection will always be better.
We use TP LINK Powerline Adapters, which work well - so I suppose that’s the closest we can get to a wired connection. Will the Mag 256 identify the signal or do we need to go into settings?
holitec

Post by holitec »

The 322 is a good upgrade to the 250, it has the new hvec codec in which an increasing number of movies in the videoclub have.

There will be more channels switching to the H265 streams over the next year or so, so an upgrade could be worth it.

However, if it works and you are happy with it, no need to upgrade just yet.

Digby