IPTV Boxes

Everything to do with I.T, T.V, and telephony.
Cookie

IPTV Boxes

Post by Cookie »

Hi All, This is a question re IPTV hardware and not subscriptions (altho' you can PM me with suggestions :) ).

I've noticed that the vast majority of you use MAG boxes to access your chosen TV services. Do I take it that there is not much call to use other hardware eg android boxes or is it just that your providers only provide these on MAGs and most don't bother to look at other devices?

I currently have a Formuler Z8 box as I love the interface (My TV Online v2) and can continue to use this with my current service when we move to Cyprus next year. This allows me much more control & functionality than I can get from a MAG box (recording from EPG, timeshifting, watching & recording simultaneously etc + full HD output) The obvious downside to this is that if things go wrong, I have to sort it out myself, which has to be consideration. To be honest tho' this tends to be the usual issues with streams (ie buffering on occasion, feed going down temporarily etc) which happens to us all regardless of the box you are using.

Just wondered what your thoughts are?

Cheers

Cookie
bromerzz

Re: IPTV Boxes

Post by bromerzz »

The use of Kodi using whatever was your preferred device, Android box, Firestick or Raspberry pi was pretty big in Cyprus for some years. It is now dropping right off. The quality of live tv streaming was nowhere near as constant as that from a streaming service into a pure MAG device such as the Infomirs. The free streams being the worst for reliability whilst the pirate subscriptions ones became too unreliable.
The overwhelming number of Kodi users I knew have all moved on, and now favour Infomir MAG boxes and a subscription IPTV service from one of the many suppliers.
The MAGs and IPTV streaming is easy, relatively cheap,generally a quality service with live TV from wherever you want, TV catchup for 14 days, download, large Video libraries, radio streaming, in addition to either You Tube directly through their smart tvs or via the MAG.
So whilst I personally still use Kodi and Rpis to view some add ons I created/made for people my main viewing is via a couple of MAGs.
I would not advice anyone any longer to go down the Android road.
And as a last comment whatever system or device you are using is most likely to be infringing copyright, comes via a dodgy pirated source and may involve funding some dubious organisation.
MAGs it is until something better comes up.
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:49 pm Can only agree. Love my Mag box. The streaming service we receive now is amazing. My SD is virtally indistinguishable from HD of a few short years ago. Hardly ever get down time; no interference, no pixcellating and no break-up - other than when the internet has an occasional hiccup.

There were those who claimed that GCHQ and others would put an end to streaming (you know who you are :lol: ), but it hasn't happened and never will happen now; the cat is out of the bag. Streaming is here to stay.
Hmm I would not say "Never will happen" Apart from that agree entirely with the above statement.
All things are possible
Mrblobby

Post by Mrblobby »

Have to agree , the mag box is simply the best .

But i do have a couple of other black boxes .

1 . the Apple TV , mainly use it for YouTube , the picture quality is great and you can find lots of stuff worth watching . I also use it for streaming from my iPad sometimes .

2. A nowtv box must be the cheapest box around , I think I paid about £10 . I use it for the iPlayer services , bbc etc . There is other things you can pay for like films and sports , but I have never used them .
Cookie

Post by Cookie »

Thanks for the replies - some things to think about. Still not sure of the MAG route given my current box does exactly what I want and the interface is much better than what you get with a MAG box. At the end of the day I can use any service by inputting the portal address so for me its whether the MAG box does what I need from an iptv box.
J B

Post by J B »

So, as a total ignoramus ... what does a triotech box do better or worse than mag/android?

We only come on holiday and don't want to get into any subscription services (we only have freeveiw in the UK)
J B
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Lloyd. Have to disagree that services like the present will continue. I know you’re not a big sports fan, but that’s wher the money is and many of the private club TV services are experimenting with different DMR to stop streaming.

I use an IPTV provider that had 3 streams for every sports and most other channels. This is so if One source gets blocked you can flick to the other. There are moves going on in the background to cause disruption like a year or so ago.

Saying that, SKY,Apple, Google and others are working on their own IPTV services and we may all revert to paying €80 a month for the services we get today for €10
J B

Post by J B »

J B wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:30 pm So, as a total ignoramus ... what does a triotech box do better or worse than mag/android?

We only come on holiday and don't want to get into any subscription services (we only have freeveiw in the UK)
Can anyone advise, please?
J B
Oxfordboy

Post by Oxfordboy »

J B wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:34 am
J B wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:30 pm So, as a total ignoramus ... what does a triotech box do better or worse than mag/android?

The Triotech box is an Android box preinstalled with Kodi, and includes some add-ons for live UK Freeview channels (and now some international news channels) with a TV guide, as well as a 14-day catch-up option (I think it's 14 days - I've never counted, so it may actually be more!). There's no subscription once you have bought the box, it's very easy to use and is automatically maintained/updated when necessary. If you don't want Sky or any of the other myriad channels which usually come with subscription services, it may be a good option for you.
JimX

Post by JimX »

If you had a MAG system then went to a Triotech system you would more than understand JB one is so clunky and needing constant downloads and updates we found very difficult to navigate, MAG work just a Sky systems did here on the island as they do in the UK, I tried the Android systems for a year or two but soon moved to the MAG system far better but not as cheap,but well worth the extra in costs most of us feel, you would understand why when you try both. If as you say you only need TV for holidays then Digby does an on off MAG system maybe ask him the cost.If you only have Freeview in the UK James then I guess you would be happy with Android system, but not for us locals as you can see in many threads on this topic.Finally I need Sky and more importantly Sky sports, but you also have so much more such as films and of course catch-up, and so easy to use too.

PS if you have an Internet connection your PC acts as an Android system you can use the computer for this, or just use UTube it has many full films and News channels, maybe just use a PC?
Jim.
Oxfordboy

Post by Oxfordboy »

JimX wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:46 am

If you had a MAG system then went to a Triotech system you would more than understand JB one is so clunky and needing constant downloads and updates we found very difficult to navigate
I'm not promoting Triotech in any way, but in its defense, it most definitely isn't clunky, it is very easy to navigate and does not need constant downloads!
JimX

Post by JimX »

I must admit I have not used Triotech in five years or more things may have improved they certainly needed to, but for sure I am not about to stop using MAGS and their systems, we definitely found Android like a stuffed shirt, sorry, also as I said you can get all of the same on your PC.

JB was asking just for holiday use only then maybe if you do not wish to have a subscription service, this maybe the way to go, but not for local users in general. MAGS still rule the roost!
Jim.
Oxfordboy

Post by Oxfordboy »

JimX wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:38 pm I must admit I have not used Triotech in five years or more things may have improved they certainly needed to, but for sure I am not about to stop using MAGS and their systems, we definitely found Android like a stuffed shirt, sorry, also as I said you can get all of the same on your PC.

JB was asking just for holiday use only then maybe if you do not wish to have a subscription service, this maybe the way to go, but not for local users in general. MAGS still rule the roost!
Not sure if this is supposed to be a competition, but it seems to be my go now. I've never had the need of a MAG box, so alternately, if you are a local user but you don't need Sky (or TV in general) to survive, and your original question was "We only come on holiday and don't want to get into any subscription services (we only have freeveiw in the UK)" then surely the Triotech (or indeed some other Android solutions) would tick all the boxes for JB?
JimX

Post by JimX »

Oxfordboy, no it is not in my case a competition, but I would say 80% of IPTV users use MAGs now in Cyprus, for the reasons posted. certainly I will not go backwards and if I do need to mess about I have my PCs fiddle around with, my daughter misses nothing regarding TV shows and films and all she uses is her PC, so why buy an Android box, she never watches sport unlike her Dad and again most of Skys serials are all out there if you know how to do it for free, I cannot be bothered, in our house the Mags rule as in many members homes here. I am though happy you are happy with your system.

Free TV via the net.

http://www.freeintertv.com/Main/

On the right hand side of this link you have just about all you may need, it is Android of course.

Here is another free movie link

https://ww1.putlockers.movie/
Jim.
Oxfordboy

Post by Oxfordboy »

But nobody even remotely suggested you should change from your MAG box! I'm glad you're happy with it. We're all happy. But this wasn't about you, it was about JB who asked about a non-subscription Freeview solution while over here. If JB brings a laptop on his visits and is happy either watching on a small screen or hooking up an HDMI cable to display on a TV then indeed there are websites, some even legal, which will do the same job for free.
Cookie

Post by Cookie »

One thing is for certain, I don't think the Triotech box will meet my needs :)

We are over in Oct and so might go and have a chat with the guys at Computer SOS to see what options are available. Is there anyone else you would suggest having a word with?

Cheers

Cookie
Mrblobby

Post by Mrblobby »

Jimgward wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:54 pm Lloyd. Have to disagree that services like the present will continue. I know you’re not a big sports fan, but that’s wher the money is and many of the private club TV services are experimenting with different DMR to stop streaming.

I use an IPTV provider that had 3 streams for every sports and most other channels. This is so if One source gets blocked you can flick to the other. There are moves going on in the background to cause disruption like a year or so ago.

Saying that, SKY,Apple, Google and others are working on their own IPTV services and we may all revert to paying €80 a month for the services we get today for €10
Apple have announced that their service will start on November the Ist , priced at $4.99 per month . And the service will be available on some other devices , not just apple .

https://www.cnet.com/news/apple-tv-plus ... 88c8&bhid=
Attachments
80376EB3-6DAF-4878-BA77-2B17AC00AE80.jpeg
80376EB3-6DAF-4878-BA77-2B17AC00AE80.jpeg (73.57 KiB) Viewed 7135 times
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Friends in Kissonerga have a Magbox and use their villa as a holiday home. They inform Computer SOS of their dates of arrival and departure and are connected to one of the television services provided by Computer SOS. I understand they pay €25 for a month's subscription regardless of if they are here for one week, two, three or even the full month at a time. Best to contact Computer SOS who will also provide a Magbox on loan so you can try out the system for free.

Agree with JimX having used an android box and then Magbox - different interfaces and much prefer Magbox which is more similar to TV systems I have used in the past in other countries. Sky a necessity for the man in the apartment - if only for the F1 Grand Prix races and with 14 day catch up included in the basic package. Excellent customer service from Computer SOS, even at the weekends and evenings.

I also use my laptop to watch television programmes and films and prior to the android box used to connect a cable to the television to watch it on a larger screen - but no catch up that way. Should the Magbox ever fail then at least I can use the cable to connect computer to television!
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Just a slight addition. If a laptop is used for UK mainstream TV programs you can use the Iplayers and there is catch up on them..
Trev..
JimX

Post by JimX »

Oxfordboy wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:50 am But nobody even remotely suggested you should change from your MAG box! I'm glad you're happy with it. We're all happy. But this wasn't about you, it was about JB who asked about a non-subscription Freeview solution while over here. If JB brings a laptop on his visits and is happy either watching on a small screen or hooking up an HDMI cable to display on a TV then indeed there are websites, some even legal, which will do the same job for free.
Again Oxford boy I gave a way to watch free TV via a PC, it need not be a small screen my PC has a 32'' monitor, and James (JB) is a cleaver chap as I do know him and I am sure he could easily find good quality TV programs via the net, I never will change my MAGs while operational I use two systems and I still use my PCs to find just about anything out there, and you mentioned legally? why, watching any UK TV here no matter what systems you use is illegal, but who cares really? it was UK who turned off satellite TV here not any of us, for years I paid for Sky's overpriced system (€70 a month) , so there loss.

My guess in the future we will all be using streaming TV either paid for or otherwise, I do not feel Android systems are the answer personally. And why most here use Mags, and by the way this thread is also not about you, but if we can help and advise JB and others then this is what forums are about.
Jim.