Router help.

Everything to do with I.T, T.V, and telephony.
Jim B

Router help.

Post by Jim B »

I have changed my network provider and the router they provided only has three ethernet ports. The old router has four ports which I need for different equipment that doesn't run on WiFi.
How do I replace the 3 port router with the old 4 port router on the new system.
Many thanks in advance.
Jim
J B

Re: Router help.

Post by J B »

You need an extender of some sort - can't remember the name sorry

It takes one feed in and then allows 4 (?) out.
Also needs a power supply
J B
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

Buy a very simple "switch" which is basically a simple device with a bank of ethernet ports on it, connect any one port via ethernet cable to your existing router and then ethernet cables to other devices, that is all you need to do.
A TP-LINK TL-Sp1008D is one example readily available in Cyprus.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

IMHO. I believe JB's solution is by far the better one. You will need to put two of your connections onto the new device, so that you can connect it into the router.
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

I have used the very simple and easy switch system without issue for some years, The main router in my living room has ethernet 4 ports, one goes to a switch in a bedroom which then provides hard wire to a tv, a Mag box and an Apple iMac. From that same switch another ethernet cable runs down into my basement and into a second router which provides both wifi and a hard wired connection to a patio TV and outside areas. So very easy and all for €15 and there are still 3 spare ports on the switch. Edited to read 3 spare ports.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Given that you had a four port router, and it was replaced with a three port router, your problem is that you are missing an ethernet port. You do not need an extender to solve this issue, as the issue is not one of distance, but of physical ports. All you need do is connect a switch to one of the three ports. Personally I would connect it to port one. If you do this, you will then have a total of six available ethernet ports.

If you have the option of getting either a switch or a hub, get the switch.

The only downside to the switch is that you will need a power supply for it.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Thanks but.I already have a Switch connected to the Router that is full and even have two Switches connected to that Switch that are in different parts of the house. I just need an extra ethernet port by the router and that's why I want to swop the routers.
I have WiFi mesh which is excellent by the way but that is A different application.
Thanks for the suggestions.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Buy a bigger switch then.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.