Meu1. No s1 and gesy

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
gerryg

Meu1. No s1 and gesy

Post by gerryg »

My friend and his wife meet the following criteria

They have meu1. Resident here for 2.5 years

Both are below UK pension age.

He has a private pension like many of us.

This criteria does not allow them to join gesy even though they realize they would have to contribute. 1.7 % in the first year and a bit more the next year.

They have spoken to dr male among many others but it seems they cannot join until they have the menu 3

Are members of the forum aware of this? It seems illogical to me given their willingness to contribute to the scheme.

I do know that some holders of meu1 can join but their criteria is not as described above. For example they may be working.

Gerry g
gerryg

Re: Meu1. No s1 and gesy

Post by gerryg »

I meant doctor mala and the form of course is a meu1
daveg

Post by daveg »

My understanding is they cannot join until in receipt of UK state pension....
Until then Private Health Care insurance is there only option or take a chance....
We've had Private Health Care Insurance for the last 10 yrs, would advise they have same......
gerryg

Post by gerryg »

Sorry should have mentioned they don’t work
TandC

Post by TandC »

Anyone got a good recommendation for private healthcare insurance at a reasonable price
TandC

Post by TandC »

Anyone got a good recommendation for private healthcare insurance at a reasonable price
Jamboal

Post by Jamboal »

As stated previously it’s not whether you have an MEU1 or MEU3 you require one of these and be of pension age to qualify for GESY. I use Abbeygate for health insurance.
TandC

Post by TandC »

I have Meu1,but no S1. Does that mean I dont qualify?
Tony & Sue

Post by Tony & Sue »

Both my wife and I, are not working either and are both under the pension age, although I have a HMF Pension, have lived here since 2007, both of us have MEU 3 status and registered with Dr Mala for GESY.
We both also have private medical insurance since arrival in 2007.
TandC

Post by TandC »

But do you have an S1?
daveg

Post by daveg »

You need an S1 from the UK to qualify.....no probs if you have a UK state pension, or as in my case, my wife has the UK state pension and I'm listed as being her dependant ,as I am not old enough for a UK state pension....
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

Below UK retirement age (no S1) with MEU1 plus social insurance contributions = GESY application valid. A dependant of someone meeting these criteria should also be ok. We have medical insurance through Status Insurance, only ever made one claim but dealt with and lid out with no issues.

Ian
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

In a nutshell as I understand the various sections on the GESY website

In order to qualify for GESY if you are a UK Expat:

All applicants must have either MEU1 or MEU3 Yellow Slip.

RIGHT OF RESIDENCE (AFTER 90 DAYS)
MEU1 + paying Social Insurance = YES (contributions paid via Social Insurance)
MEU1 + E121/ S1 Form = YES (no contributions payable)
MEU1 only = NOT ELIGIBLE

PERMANENT RESIDENCE (AFTER 5 YEARS)
MEU3 + paying Social Insurance = YES (contributions paid via Social Insurance)
MEU3 + E121/ S1 Form = YES (no contributions payable)
MEU3 only = YES (contributions collected by Tax System or The Treasury - this to be confirmed)

If YES, then Dependants/Beneficiaries are also eligible and they do not contribute.

Hence, as a MEU3 Permanent Resident it is worth sending off for the Payment Exemption Certificate as mentioned in another current post.
Earlsfield

Post by Earlsfield »

galexinda wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:47 pm In a nutshell as I understand the various sections on the GESY website

In order to qualify for GESY if you are a UK Expat:

All applicants must have either MEU1 or MEU3 Yellow Slip.

RIGHT OF RESIDENCE (AFTER 90 DAYS)
MEU1 + paying Social Insurance = YES (contributions paid via Social Insurance)
MEU1 + E121/ S1 Form = YES (no contributions payable)
MEU1 only = NOT ELIGIBLE

PERMANENT RESIDENCE (AFTER 5 YEARS)
MEU3 + paying Social Insurance = YES (contributions paid via Social Insurance)
MEU3 + E121/ S1 Form = YES (no contributions payable)
MEU3 only = YES (contributions collected by Tax System or The Treasury - this to be confirmed)

If YES, then Dependants/Beneficiaries are also eligible and they do not contribute.

Hence, as a MEU3 Permanent Resident it is worth sending off for the Payment Exemption Certificate as mentioned in another current post.
And from this it is pretty clear that if you are in possession of an MEU3, ie you are classed as a permanent resident in Cyprus you are entitled to join GESY, you will of course be required to pay into the system. I do believe that is the difference if you hold a S1, ie you have reached state retirement age in the UK, where you will not be required to pay as your contribution will (hopefully) be met by the UK NHS.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Yes, Earlsfield and many Expats who have the S1 form and who signed up en masse at some of the clinics have since found out that they were registered on account of having MEU3 Permanent Residence and are now trying to get their status changed to S1 form holders. At one stage early on GESY refused to accept the S1 form which also added to the confusion. As a MEU3 form holder and a Dependant/Beneficiary entitled to GESY healthcare due to my husband receiving a UK State Pension we are following this particular scenario closely as we don't want to be caught out and having to pay for something we don't have to. This new MEU3 status has benefited many of those who retired early as they just have to prove 5 years residency in order to have access to GESY which is considerably cheaper than having to pay for private medical insurance until they reach UK state pension age.
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

So in summary:

If you are an MEU3 holder AND on a UK state pension with an S1 form, make sure you register as an S1 holder and not as an MEU3 holder otherwise you will have to contribute.

If you register as an MEU 3 holder and are not working and not yet retired, make sure you switch to S1 holder when you do retire otherwise you will continue to contribute.

Jeanne
Last edited by Lofos-Jan on Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
gerryg

Post by gerryg »

Thank you all for your contributions. The situation is very clear, my friends are not able to enrol in gesy.

Gerryg
Varky

Post by Varky »

TandC wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:21 pm But do you have an S1?
You are only issued with an S1 form once you are in receipt of a UK State Pension.
CyprusSue

Post by CyprusSue »

Reading everyone's contributions with keen interest. I'm in the same situation as Gerryg's friends. I am also below UK pension age...have my yellow slip -MEU1 and lived here for 3 and half yrs, receiving a private pension, and have private medical insurance. I was unsure and rather confused about the new GESY system, and whether I was entitled to register. Thanks for explaining the rules in a simple and easy way to understand. I now know that I cannot enrol.