Calgon

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
memory man

Calgon

Post by memory man »

Who uses Calgon in the washing machine & dishwasher?

Powder or tablets!

Is it really beneficial?
Cactuslil

Re: Calgon

Post by Cactuslil »

I use the tablets in my washing machine when I remember. I’m sure it must make a difference.
emgee

Post by emgee »

I use Powder, yes? Who really knows, but watch the adverts.

Alan
Anarita John

Post by Anarita John »

We use the Tesco version of it, in liquid form. Used to use it regularly but the Tesco stuff from AlfaMega is so much cheaper.
kansas

Post by kansas »

Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Just another chemical to contaminate your dishes and clothes with. The principal ingredient is sodium polymetaphosphate or hexasodium;2,4,6,8,10,12-hexaoxido-1,3,5,7,9,11-hexaoxa-2λ5,4λ5,6λ5,8λ5,10λ5,12λ5-hexaphosphacyclododecane 2,4,6,8,10,12-hexaoxide. It is a known source of hypertrophic weed formation in waste water streams.

In all likelihood, you will find this substance in all detergents, rinse aids and suchlike (except pure soaps), in calculated quantities, so adding more will probably not be useful except for the Calgon retailers' pockets or to increase water pollution.
DavidatLWH

Post by DavidatLWH »

Unless I'm mistaken, Devil, Calgon no longer contains phosphates, but uses polycarboxylates, instead. Whilst they may not be effective in a washing machine - it seems it depends on what temperature you wash at - these compounds are fairly harmless and are even used as compounding ingredients in some foodstuffs.
Lazydaze52

Post by Lazydaze52 »

Never used it, instead every month I put both empty appliances on the hottest wash, in the washing machine I add some bicarbonate of soda and white vinegar, in the dishwasher I use one of the small bottles of dishwasher cleaner by Tesco, available in Alphamega, job done. I also add white vinegar to my fabric softener when washing towels, helps keep them softer too.

If you descale your kettle with a combination of water and white vinegar you’ll see how well it works, put bicarb of soda and white vinegar down drains to keep them clear too, I use loads of white vinegar!!!